Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith Extended

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith Extended Reply with quote

According to Mark Berman:
Quote:
Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26

NFL sources told FOX 26 Sports the Texans extended the contracts of Gary Kubiak and Rick Smith.

Quote:
Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26

NFL sources told FOX 26 Sports the Texans are expected to make a formal announcement about the extensions for Smith & Kubiak after practice
Expand

Good for Gary and Rick. The extension was expected since they brought us our first ever playoff appearance last season, and I'm glad we extended him now because if we would have made the playoffs this upcoming season Kubiak and Smith probably would have asked for a heftier contract than the one he is getting right now.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got it before me lol go ahead and lock mine up....

I think the extensions are well deserved. I'm curious to see how many years/ how much money

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine that Gary's is any more than about 3 years. Smith's I could see being longer than that (because he deserves it more), but in reality I highly doubt one is longer than the other.
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
I can't imagine that Gary's is any more than about 3 years. Smith's I could see being longer than that (because he deserves it more), but in reality I highly doubt one is longer than the other.

IIRC, last year Bob McNair said that Gary and Rick aren't tied to one another, and this extension will speak to that in some sense.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
bunnyracin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Details on Kubiak and Smih contract extension. 3yrs for Kubiak, 4yrs for Smith. #Texans

https://twitter.com/getnickwright/status/213303720157528064

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunnyracin wrote:
Quote:
Details on Kubiak and Smih contract extension. 3yrs for Kubiak, 4yrs for Smith. #Texans

Kubiak actually had a 4th year at his choice. I wonder why he chose 3?

https://twitter.com/StephStradley/status/213303875631972353

Quote:
Kubiak has 3 year extension at his choice, could have been 4. Rick Smith extended for 4 years per Texans owner Bob McNair.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunnyracin wrote:
Quote:

And I just heard on 610 that Gary declined to add a 4th year to his deal. Hm... Think
amazingandre

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenney wrote:
bunnyracin wrote:
Quote:

And I just heard on 610 that Gary declined to add a 4th year to his deal. Hm... Think

Because we're about to explode onto the scene and if we become a constant winner he will want more money sooner
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
kenney wrote:
bunnyracin wrote:
Quote:

Because we're about to explode onto the scene and if we become a constant winner he will want more money sooner

Pretty much, he wants a chance to cash in later down the line.

iPwn, Kempes and Flaccomania: The official sig makers for THE ET80!
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep as much as I bash on Kubiak, this is really just about him being able to renegotiate after 2013 if we continue to improve or dare I say win a Super Bowl. I haven't seen the numbers yet, but I suspect he will be in the top 10 salary range (he's the 6th longest tenured coach). It would not be prudent for McNair to bump Kubiak top top 5 status with 1 playoff win and 1 season removed from a 6-10 season that was largely on him considering it was his DC, his decision to roll with rookies in the secondary, and his offense that couldn't do anything in the 1st quarter to generate a lead. If Kubiak finishes the deal and gets us near or to the promised land in the next two years he gets to cash in. If the team falters, we get to get out after 2013. Coaches are not players - they don't leave teams for more more money elsewhere. For goodness sake, mumbling bore Gary Kubiak certainly has zero future in broadcasting, so that isn't an option for him. All of his boys will be out of college by the end of this deal, so he can't pull the "leaving to spend more time with the family" ruse since he will be an empty nester.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: