Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears DT Henry Melton won't get a long term deal this year

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 39847
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Bears DT Henry Melton won't get a long term deal this year Reply with quote

Quote:
Bears DT Henry Melton and Cowboys DE Anthony Spencer will play on their one-year tenders in 2013, joining Colts P Pat McAfee in that group.


http://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/statuses/356796010518953984

Colts Punter Pat McAfee aswell, the 3 franchise players will not receive a long-term extension this season and will play the year under the 1-year franchise tag contract, meaning they are all set to hit the market again next season unless they're tagged again.


_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madmike90


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 22589
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was always going to happen simply because Peppers is taking up so much money on the Dline…I would fully expect us to either resign or franchise then resign Melton next year after we have released JP.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sugashane


Joined: 06 Jan 2013
Posts: 990
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope they take care of him next offseason. Pep is going to be over $17 mil against the cap, and while he is a favorite of mine he doesn't play well enough to warrant THAT much, and I don't know how willing he will be to make a significant pay cut. Hopefully we could find a trade location for him after a team strikes out in free agency at DE, rather than just release him.
_________________
2013 Kyle Long Rookie of the Year Award
Adopt-a-Bear
Matt Forte
The march for 2,000 All Purpose Yards
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9655
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have liked to have signed him long term.

Having a free tag for next year would have opened up options for the Bears and Cutler or if Wootton or Wright blow up.
_________________
Adopt a Bear: DT Will Sutton [T, S, TFL, FF]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AZBearsFan


Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Posts: 10781
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
I would have liked to have signed him long term.

Having a free tag for next year would have opened up options for the Bears and Cutler or if Wootton or Wright blow up.

I think cost wise next year it will be either Wootton (if he blows up) or Melton but not both, even if Peppers isn't back in 2014. Either Jay or another QB will cost significant bucks too.
_________________

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madmike90


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 22589
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
I would have liked to have signed him long term.

Having a free tag for next year would have opened up options for the Bears and Cutler or if Wootton or Wright blow up.

I think cost wise next year it will be either Wootton (if he blows up) or Melton but not both, even if Peppers isn't back in 2014. Either Jay or another QB will cost significant bucks too.


I think we would still be able to sign both if Peppers is let go…I think there is a stronger chance that we resign two young Dlinemen then draft a CB that there is that we resign two older CBs then draft a Dlinemen early.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9655
PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
I would have liked to have signed him long term.

Having a free tag for next year would have opened up options for the Bears and Cutler or if Wootton or Wright blow up.

I think cost wise next year it will be either Wootton (if he blows up) or Melton but not both, even if Peppers isn't back in 2014. Either Jay or another QB will cost significant bucks too.


I think we would still be able to sign both if Peppers is let go…I think there is a stronger chance that we resign two young Dlinemen then draft a CB that there is that we resign two older CBs then draft a Dlinemen early.


Agreed but it still means that a couple of players could hit the market without us in control.

If Wootton and Melton play well than one of them is guaranteed to hit the market and have some bidding.

If Cutler blows up and we struggle to sign him in season, both guys could hit the market without us in control.

I always like to have more control.
_________________
Adopt a Bear: DT Will Sutton [T, S, TFL, FF]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Superman(DH23)


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 18954
Location: Abdi on the sick sig
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks, even w/ Julius Peppers on the books, we have $62M in cap space available next year. I wouldn't worry at all about not being able to sign anybody. The Bears should be able to resign anybody they want AND have their pick of pretty much any FA next year.
_________________

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pinky


Joined: 02 Jun 2009
Posts: 570
Location: London, England
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Folks, even w/ Julius Peppers on the books, we have $62M in cap space available next year. I wouldn't worry at all about not being able to sign anybody. The Bears should be able to resign anybody they want AND have their pick of pretty much any FA next year.


Shocked That's a substantial amount of money...who hits the market next year?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madmike90


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 22589
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinky wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Folks, even w/ Julius Peppers on the books, we have $62M in cap space available next year. I wouldn't worry at all about not being able to sign anybody. The Bears should be able to resign anybody they want AND have their pick of pretty much any FA next year.


Shocked That's a substantial amount of money...who hits the market next year?


More important than who from other teams hits the market we have hitting the market...

Jay Cutler
J'Marcus Webb
Henry Melton
Corey Wootton
Charles Tillman
Tim Jennings
Major Wright
Craig Steltz
Blake Costanzo
Sherrick McManis
Robbie Gould

Brody Eldridge
Roberto Garza
Edwin Williams
Tom Nelson
Devin Hester
Patrick Mannelly

Have to get a number of those guys signed up...especially from the top group.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Pinky


Joined: 02 Jun 2009
Posts: 570
Location: London, England
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Pinky wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Folks, even w/ Julius Peppers on the books, we have $62M in cap space available next year. I wouldn't worry at all about not being able to sign anybody. The Bears should be able to resign anybody they want AND have their pick of pretty much any FA next year.


Shocked That's a substantial amount of money...who hits the market next year?


More important than who from other teams hits the market we have hitting the market...

Jay Cutler
J'Marcus Webb
Henry Melton
Corey Wootton
Charles Tillman
Tim Jennings
Major Wright
Craig Steltz
Blake Costanzo
Sherrick McManis
Robbie Gould

Brody Eldridge
Roberto Garza
Edwin Williams
Tom Nelson
Devin Hester
Patrick Mannelly

Have to get a number of those guys signed up...especially from the top group.


"....I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there please save me Cliff Stein."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madmike90


Joined: 25 Jan 2009
Posts: 22589
Location: Scotland
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^

Now that is one man who will answer your prayers Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Superman(DH23)


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 18954
Location: Abdi on the sick sig
PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Pinky wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Folks, even w/ Julius Peppers on the books, we have $62M in cap space available next year. I wouldn't worry at all about not being able to sign anybody. The Bears should be able to resign anybody they want AND have their pick of pretty much any FA next year.


Shocked That's a substantial amount of money...who hits the market next year?


More important than who from other teams hits the market we have hitting the market...

Jay Cutler
J'Marcus Webb
Henry Melton
Corey Wootton
Charles Tillman
Tim Jennings
Major Wright
Craig Steltz
Blake Costanzo
Sherrick McManis
Robbie Gould

Brody Eldridge
Roberto Garza
Edwin Williams
Tom Nelson
Devin Hester
Patrick Mannelly

Have to get a number of those guys signed up...especially from the top group.
The bolded are the priorities, and I'd dare say pretty much locks to resign. Jay at the very least will get the tag. Italics I would say are likely to resign, and are less of a priority either due to inconsistency, age, or positional value. Underlined are the players I don't see in the Bears plans and don't see returning next year.
_________________

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group