Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2012 NHL Offseason Signings/Trades/Rumors and so on
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 56, 57, 58  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BirdsFan06050

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't understand why a 50/50 split with no escrow can't be the solution.
"There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows; and the book says we may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
Eagles27

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BirdsFan06050 wrote:
I really don't understand why a 50/50 split with no escrow can't be the solution.

Because the players shouldn't have to give anything up because the NHL can't sell tickets, put teams in the right locations, etc. The players gave over 3 billion dollars in concessions from the last CBA. The NHL is once again asking for them to pay for their inability to have 30 successful teams.

As I've said before, I don't care if we lose an entire season. I just hope the players don't give in this time.

This lockout is being caused by Gary Bettman, and the greed of the owners. The NBA & NFL got better deals, so now the NHL owners want a bigger share as well.

#JDI
eggybucsfan31

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but the PA is the reason why we're not watching hockey right now, not the owners.

The owners put forth a fair offer, the PA then countered with three apparent jokes of an offer. And why is Zach Parise of all people whining on twitter about the owners handing out these contracts? If I recall, you yourself demanded a $12 million signing bonus right on the spot, unless you wouldn't sign. I can see if someone like Tanner Glass would complain about it, but Parise? LOL.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggybucsfan31 wrote:
Sorry, but the PA is the reason why we're not watching hockey right now, not the owners.

The owners put forth a fair offer, the PA then countered with three apparent jokes of an offer. And why is Zach Parise of all people whining on twitter about the owners handing out these contracts? If I recall, you yourself demanded a $12 million signing bonus right on the spot, unless you wouldn't sign. I can see if someone like Tanner Glass would complain about it, but Parise? LOL.

That's just not true whatsoever.

The NHLPA gave the owners 3 CBA proposals which all included a split in revenue.
"There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows; and the book says we may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
UofMfan909

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NHL would see a lot more revenue if they moved a few teams to Canada. Hamilton, Saskatoon, and Quebec City (yeah, I know they're getting a team) would all be better markets than several existing American ones. Hell, they could put a team in a Toronto suburb (Vaughan was talked about, idk how the Leafs would react to this though), and then Vancouver and Montreal could even support second teams. Honestly, the NHL can't support 30 teams right now... if they want to try, they need more in Canada. I'm not knowledgeable on the business side of any sports league, but it seems like common sense that these markets would outperform many US ones if they're given a few years to build a fanbase.

article is pre Winnipeg, but still:

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/hockey/2011/04/12/17962611.html

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Islanders are moving to Brooklyn.

http://nymag.com/daily/sports/2012/10/islanders-are-reportedly-moving-to-brooklyn.html
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:

http://nymag.com/daily/sports/2012/10/islanders-are-reportedly-moving-to-brooklyn.html

Lets hope that Jay-Z doesn't design their uniforms like he did the Brooklyn Nets.

Many thanks to UniversalAuthor on the reigning MVP's sig!
BLick12

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1BackInBlackFan wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:

Lets hope that Jay-Z doesn't design their uniforms like he did the Brooklyn Nets.

Just about anything will be an improvement for the Islanders.

Also, are they going to be the Inlanders now?

Another Ginger QB in the AFC North.

Looking forward to the "No Soul Bowl" twice a year
roysmyboy31

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BLick12 wrote:
1BackInBlackFan wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:

Geographically speaking, they are still on Long Island. Even if politically speaking, Brooklyn is part of New York City.

Glad to see the Isles will still be around.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roysmyboy31 wrote:
BLick12 wrote:
1BackInBlackFan wrote:
BaltimoreTerp wrote:

Geographically speaking, they are still on Long Island. Even if politically speaking, Brooklyn is part of New York City.

Glad to see the Isles will still be around.

No need to ruin my joke, a-hole.

redsoxsuck05

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...after all these years...it just happened...this morning. I can't even begin to describe my emotions right now...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe we're reunited with the Nets. Lease is important, though. Hopefully Wang sells to Ratner eventually.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we are keeping the logo (although I expect slight adjustment on on island part), name, and colors. Fantastic news all around.

Screw Long Island and GO ISLANDERS!!! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beyond just being a hockey fan, this lockout is really pissing me off as a Wings fan. We have an old core and this is one of our last years of a legitimate shot at a title before we have to start retooling and replacing guys. We already lost Lidstrom, who knows how Datsyuk will react to playing a season back in Russia and if he'll really want to return, Zetterberg and Kronwall are both only getting higher up in the 30's, and a bunch of other guys (Bertuzzi.. not that I care if he leaves, Franzen, Sammuelsson, Cleary) are already on the wrong side of 30 and only getting higher up and likely regressing. One of our only young forwards really worth anything (Filppula) was supposed to be playing in the last year of his contract, too...

Plus, we're going to lose the Winter Classic (at least this year). Just a huge bummer.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UofMfan909 wrote:
Beyond just being a hockey fan, this lockout is really pissing me off as a Wings fan. We have an old core and this is one of our last years of a legitimate shot at a title before we have to start retooling and replacing guys. We already lost Lidstrom, who knows how Datsyuk will react to playing a season back in Russia and if he'll really want to return, Zetterberg and Kronwall are both only getting higher up in the 30's, and a bunch of other guys (Bertuzzi.. not that I care if he leaves, Franzen, Sammuelsson, Cleary) are already on the wrong side of 30 and only getting higher up and likely regressing. One of our only young forwards really worth anything (Filppula) was supposed to be playing in the last year of his contract, too...

Plus, we're going to lose the Winter Classic (at least this year). Just a huge bummer.

Yeah, while the Flyers core is very young Kimmo Timonen did say he is likely to stay overseas if the lockout continues. Very sad to hear as he is one of my favorite Flyers.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Other Sports All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 56, 57, 58  Next
Page 47 of 58

Jump to: