Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

CW21's Draft Thread (Top 100 Big Board - Page 47)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 49, 50, 51  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CWood21

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Barkley [QB: USC]

Height: 6'2"
Weight: 230
NFL Comparison: Vinny Testaverde [QB; Retired]

Strengths: Much like most quarterbacks coming out of USC, he's a really well spoken and well developed quarterback that shows the characteristics of a franchise quarterback. He's got decent size at 6'2", but he's built quite well at around 225-230 depending on who you ask. Playing in the pro style that USC runs definitely helps his transition to the NFL when he'll be asked to command the huddle in a much more complicated offense, but this gives him a heads up over the other quarterbacks vying for the top quarterback taken in the draft. He's an almost ideal fit for a West Coast team like the Packers that apply short to intermediate passes to keep the chains moving. His accuracy in the short-to-intermediate game is top notch, and should bode well for his ability to keep the chains moving in the NFL. He seems to have a good feel for pressure in the pocket, even if he doesn't have much pressure applied to him because of his line. He's got extremely clean mechanics and releases the ball near the top of his wind up giving it the most projection. Very much a poster child for clean mechanics for parents at home looking to teach their kids the correct way to throw the ball. With the league paying a much closer attention to character concerns, he's been a model citizen and a great leader for the Trojans.

Weakness: While his arm is strong enough to make all the throws, it's not a great arm and might face some issues in particularly rough weathered games. He throws a nice deep ball, but again it doesn't posses a ton of velocity on it. He hasn't faced much pressure because of the offensive line, but when the pressure gets to him he gets a bit antsy leading him to throw too many balls off of his backfoot leading to the ball sailing. Like most young quarterbacks, has a tendency to hold onto the ball too long but that should correct itself more as he continues to develop as a quarterback. He's never really won a big game at USC, and he's struggled mightily against Washington for whatever reason. Some will heavily criticize him for that, and while I'm not on that wagon yet I'm critical and think that this year is going to be detrimental to him. He's going to make or break his stock this year.

Overall: Matt Barkley has a ton of talent, more than enough to be a starting quarterback in the NFL, but he's going to have to overcome the stigma attached to USC quarterbacks because of the recent flops of Matt Leinart and Mark Sanchez. I really struggled coming up with a comparison for Matt Barkley, and I'll probably end up changing it down the road but I think he's got a long career in store for him. I almost compared him to Carson Palmer. I don't think it'll be as a star, but in that sort of second tier of quarterbacks as a really good, but not great quarterback. He's going to bring new life into a franchise that ends up taking him, and he'll become the franchises hope to start a team that can compete for championships. He's taken his lumps and bruises while at USC with the sanctions handed down by NCAA, but that speaks volumes to his character.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He hasn't faced much pressure because of the offensive line, but when the pressure gets to him he gets a bit antsy leading him to throw too many balls off of his backfoot leading to the ball sailing.

Interesting that in the games I have seen that is the complete opposite to the feeling I get about him.

He sets and resets his feet quickly after movement and he looks comfortable shuffing laterally or forwards in the pocket.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
MNPackfan32

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood, I'm not a huge "He winz teh big gamez" guy, but he did beat Oregon on the road and if not for an untimely fumble, he could have damn well beat Stanford. He did everything in his power to win both of those games.

Duff Man wrote:
MNPackfan32 wrote:
Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels

Average at best
jrry32

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one who has noticed that Barkley tends to put a lot of his body into throws and he throws off his back foot more than he should? Right now, I'm really ehhh on Barkley. Seems like the type of guys that falls down the board after the hype wears off during draft season. Like Brady Quinn.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barkley, to me, is too reliant on Woods. He doesn't go through his reads enough, there's too many plays where he throws it straight to Woods, covered or not. Then again, he has very good mechanics. He is very good outside of the pocket. He has good enough arm strength. He has good touch, but sometimes he has horrible touch. He is not consistent enough for me but he does have good accuracy when he's on. He throws off of his back foot when under pressure and floats the ball when he's touched. He is a top QB right now to me and I think he'll end up a top 2-5 pick.

Just my thoughts.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
ukjets21

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barkley's by far my favourite QB in the draft, I'd also certainly have taken him over Griffin had he declared.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I haven't gotten to your guys' questions sooner. I've had quite a bit on my plate the last week, and up through this weekend.

khodder wrote:
Interesting that in the games I have seen that is the complete opposite to the feeling I get about him.

He sets and resets his feet quickly after movement and he looks comfortable shuffing laterally or forwards in the pocket.

Maybe I'm nitpicking, but I've never really been impressed by his play in a collapsing pocket. I've seen too many back throws instead of really stepping into the pocket.
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukjets21 wrote:
Barkley's by far my favourite QB in the draft, I'd also certainly have taken him over Griffin had he declared.

Would have been a major mistake. I think he'll be the 3rd QB drafted this year. He's just not physically talented enough to go #1. And he's not even close to as talented as Griffin.

CWood21

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNPackfan32 wrote:
CWood, I'm not a huge "He winz teh big gamez" guy, but he did beat Oregon on the road and if not for an untimely fumble, he could have damn well beat Stanford. He did everything in his power to win both of those games.

Regardless, special QBs always somehow manage to win big games. I'm not sure why USC has had so much issues with Washington, but I think this is his best year to shed that label. I'm not a huge detractor in that regard, but it's probably something that should be noted since he's played on some pretty talented teams.
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood, Geno Smith, what are your thoughts on him?

CWood21

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
Am I the only one who has noticed that Barkley tends to put a lot of his body into throws and he throws off his back foot more than he should? Right now, I'm really ehhh on Barkley. Seems like the type of guys that falls down the board after the hype wears off during draft season. Like Brady Quinn.

I've noticed the same thing, and I've got the same reservations with him. He's got a lot of characteristics you want in a quarterback, but he just doesn't seem to have that next step. I'm not ready to call him a franchise QB, like a Peyton Manning or whatever, but I think he'll have a long productive career.
CWood21

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
Barkley, to me, is too reliant on Woods. He doesn't go through his reads enough, there's too many plays where he throws it straight to Woods, covered or not. Then again, he has very good mechanics. He is very good outside of the pocket. He has good enough arm strength. He has good touch, but sometimes he has horrible touch. He is not consistent enough for me but he does have good accuracy when he's on. He throws off of his back foot when under pressure and floats the ball when he's touched. He is a top QB right now to me and I think he'll end up a top 2-5 pick.

Just my thoughts.

It's hard not to like to throw to Woods. I'd love to see how Barkley would react to Woods missing a few games (not that I wish injury upon anyone), just to see how his reads change. He doesn't have to do a ton of reads because the talent level at USC compared to the other Pac-12 schools is a pretty significant gap.
CWood21

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukjets21 wrote:

I wouldn't. RG3 might not be the prototypical quarterback, but he's got that special "it" factor that I'm not sure I see in Barkley. More risk, but a lot more inherent reward.
CWood21

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:

I've waned on him the last year and a half, and I think ultimately he reminds me of a younger Brandon Weeden. Plays almost exclusively out of the shotgun, so putting him under center is going to be a HUGE conversion for him. More of a zone thrower than a quarterback whose going to read defenses. Needs a ton of polish, but I think he could carve it out as a decent starting quarterback.
jrry32

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
jrry32 wrote:

I've waned on him the last year and a half, and I think ultimately he reminds me of a younger Brandon Weeden. Plays almost exclusively out of the shotgun, so putting him under center is going to be a HUGE conversion for him. More of a zone thrower than a quarterback whose going to read defenses. Needs a ton of polish, but I think he could carve it out as a decent starting quarterback.

I'm in love with that release of his. He has a scary quick release. Plus he possesses good athleticism and a strong arm.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 10 of 51

Jump to: