Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

1st Round Grades
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: 1st Round Grades Reply with quote

KC - OT Eric Fisher [A] Safe, solid pick. Fisher can play RT or LT at a pretty high level.

JAC - OT Luke Joeckel [A] Wasn't a huge need, and if they play Joeckel at RT then I'm not a big fan of the fit, but he should secure LT for them for the forseeable future.

MIA (OAK) - LB Dion Jordan [B] Love Jordan as a 3-4 OLB and he is a solid value here. Not quite as high on him as a 4-3 DE though and then when you consider the cost to trade up I'm a little unsure of the fit.

PHI - OT Lane Johnson [A-] Johnson is still a little raw, but he has the high ceiling and fits Kelly's up-tempo spread offense perfectly.

DET - DE Ezekiel Ansah [A] I think Ansah was the perfect player for a hybrid front team so I'm a little disapponted to see him go to a basic 4-3 team, but he has the highest ceiling among remaining players so given time the guy should be a playmaker for them.

CLE - DE Barkevious Mingo [D] I like Mingo as a player. Have since I first saw him in a spring game a couple years back. But he is a huge risk and as a tweener is not a top half of the first round football player. Build is too similar to Gaines Adams, and I worry he will have teh same struggles.

ARI - OG Jonathan Cooper [A-] Never seen a guard as nimble in the open field. Not crazy about using a top 10 pick on a guard, but he is one of the top 5 players in this draft and fills a big need.

STL (BUF) - SR Tavon Austin [B] Austin is a very explosive player and fits perfectly for a dome team, and I wouldn't mind the risk in picking him at 8 if they would have started there, but trading up to take a player of such small stature is a huge risk.

NYJ - CB Dee Milliner [B] Solid value and fills a need. As long as he checks out medically, there is nothing wrong with this pick.

TEN - OG Chance Warmack [A-] Tennessee has so many needs I struggle with whether taking guard this high is the best use of their resources, but it is hard to argue against a top ten talent who also happens to be a safe player and who should start from day one.

SD - OT D.J. Fluker [B] San Diego had a desperate need at both tackle spots, so getting a mauler with untapped potential as pass blocker is a nice fit.

OAK (MIA) - CB D.J. Hayden [B+] Loved the trade down. Still managed to grab a very good player. My only knock would be I feel Richardson and Lotulelei are both better players and both also fit a big need for Oakland.

NYJ (TB) - DT Sheldon Richardson [A] Jets took one of the two best players available and while on the surface it seems a strange fit given the Jets previous two first round picks, I have little doubt Rex Ryan will be able to utilize Richardson's versatility and make use of his pass rush skills.

CAR - DT Star Lotulelei [A] Good value and fills a huge need. As good as any pick in the round.

NO - FS Kenny Vaccaro [A] With the top pass rushers off the board, the Saints filled their next biggest need with a solid value pick in Vaccaro.

BUF (STL) - QB E.J. Manuel [D] Manuel has the heighest ceiling of all the QBs so I understand the gamble to some degree. And he is the type of intelligent, good citizen you want as the face of a franchise, I just don't think he is aggressive enough on the football field to consistently make plays and take advantage of his considerable physical gifts. I had a 3rd round grade on him.

PIT - LB Jarvis Jones [A] Strong scheme fit and need fit. Also solid value at this spot. Hard to find any fault.

SF (DAL) - SS Eric Reid [B] Never a big trade up fan, so I always tend to knock grades for that a little. I really like Reid and thought he would be a first rounder from my first viewing, but I started to talk myself out of liking him the last couple of years, and I really shouldn't have. He can be a playmaker.

NYG - OL Justin Pugh [B] Pugh is a versatile lineman capable of playing all five positions. Won't be a star but gives Giants a lot of flexibility moving forward.

CHI - OL Kyle Long [B] A high ceiling but raw and inexperienced player. Like the fit with the Bears, as he can begin career at LG and as he gains experience and technique he can eventually take over for Bushrod at LT if he reaches his full potential.

CIN - TE Tyler Eifert [B+] Solid value and fit for Bengals. Eifert gives them flexibility and never a bad idea to add weapons, especially when your QB is not elite, you need to give him as much help as possible in order to contend.

ATL (STL from WAS) - CB Desmond Trufant [B] Good fit and fills a need. Again the trade up knocks the grade a bit, but this is a solid pick.

MIN - DT Sharrif Floyd [B] I know some people had Floyd rated higher, but I think this is right about where he belonged. Vikes filled a big need with a good, but not great player.

IND - DE Bjoern Werner [B-] I like the player and value at this spot, only question the fit. I felt Werner was a prototype 4-3 DE, not sure he is best suited to stand up.

MIN (SEA) - CB Xavier Rhodes [B] Similar to Werner, in that I like the player and value, but Rhodes is best in press man and the Vikes tend to favor zone, so I question the fit a little.

GB - DE Datone Jones [B] I haven't been a big fan of the Packers last 2 first rounders, but Jones fits them well and is a solid value here.

HOU - WR DeAndre Hopkins [B] Houston went with the safe pick. Nothing wrong with that, Hopkins has the highest floor of the available receivers, but the chances of a home run are slim. Hard to argue against or praise this pick too much.

DEN - DT Sylvester Williams [A] Williams isn't the most consistent player, but he is no doubt talented and a solid value here and fits a big need for the Broncos.

MIN (NE) - WR Cordarrelle Patterson [B] Biggest risk/reward of the first round. Gambled a lot of picks in the trade for a boom/bust player, but I love the fit for Minnesota. Patterson has a similar skillset to Harvin, so the team already has ready made plays for him that will get the ball into his hands in a variety of ways on screens, out of the backfield, on hand offs and in the kick game. He'll make plays for them.

STL (ATL) - LB Alec Ogletree [A] Great value. Far and away best player left on board. And with Laurinaitis at MLB, it means Ogletree can play WLB where he fits better.

DAL (SF) - OL Travis Frederick [D] The one real surprise of the 1st round. Frederick is a solid player and should start for them from day one, but there were 20+ players still available that were better. I think they could have got him with a second rounder.

BAL - SS Matt Elam [D] Elam was my lowest rated player that was drafted in round 1 (even lower than Frederick), but a lot of people do like him so he wasn't a surprise pick, just not one I am fond of. I like Cyprien and Swearinger better as prospects.

Last edited by mikee on Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Supersuavesky

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strong grades.

Bleedin_Green36 wrote:
Supersuavesky wrote:

Okay.

Sacramento is a finals team now folks. Laughing

yeah so? Would anyone here disagree?
KhanYouDigIt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joeckel will play RT and it was a huge need.

TEDDY TEDDY TEDDY

Props to JMG on the sig
RaidersAreOne

Location: Canada, but don't worry... i'm not one of those damn dirty french.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with the Raider grade. Would have preferred Star, but DB was a huge need and he has great potential.

First jersey purchased: Jamarcus Russell.
Second jersey purchased: Rolando McClain.
Next purchases: Every Chiefs, Chargers and Broncos player.
JTagg7754 on the sig.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish you were one of my school teachers.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
TEN - OG Chance Warmack [A-] Tennessee has so many needs I struggle with whether taking guard this high is the best use of their resources, but it is hard to argue against a top ten talent who also happens to be a safe player and who should start from day one.

False. They could've went DT, DE, or CB but the only missing starter was a RG and they filled it. Now the rest of the draft will be around getting depth which is needed at DE, LB, and CB. Possibly a WR as well.
mikee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhanYouDigIt wrote:
Joeckel will play RT and it was a huge need.

No arguing that it was a huge need. I just don't think Joeckel fits real well as a RT, he is not great at the point of attack in the run game. He is a smooth athlete that takes great angles in pass pro and run game, but he won't move people around the way you like to see from a RT.
mikee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
Quote:

False. They could've went DT, DE, or CB but the only missing starter was a RG and they filled it. Now the rest of the draft will be around getting depth which is needed at DE, LB, and CB. Possibly a WR as well.

Needing starters at 4 positions is having a lot of needs. And I'm sorry, but QB is a need for them as well (though I am not advocating that they should have reached for any of the underwhelming talent in this class).
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D?

lol ok

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
OwNaGe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikee wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
Quote:

Needing starters at 4 positions is having a lot of needs. And I'm sorry, but QB is a need for them as well (though I am not advocating that they should have reached for any of the underwhelming talent in this class).

Locker's fine. Needed a quality O-line and getting Warmack in draft and Levtre in free agency will shore that up. Needing 4 positions = having a lot of needs? So every team in the draft has alot of needs then.

My Teams:
Football: Titans
College BBall: Kentucky
College FBall: Alabama
Baseball: Braves
mikee

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OwNaGe wrote:
mikee wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
Quote:

Locker's fine. Needed a quality O-line and getting Warmack in draft and Levtre in free agency will shore that up. Needing 4 positions = having a lot of needs? So every team in the draft has alot of needs then.

I think you are goig to be looking for another QB in a year or two. No doubt getting Warmack and Levitre is huge. This was their biggest need and they filled it with the best FA available at the position and the second best rookie. That is a big win for them.

I just think they are still deficient at several positions before they are a playoff team.

QB - Locker is still a question mark until he does produces consistently. he never even accomplished that in college, so I'm not holding my breathe.

WR - Britt is uber-talented, but a hardly a guy that can be counted on. They have some depth, but not a consistent go to guy when Britt is out.

TE - Walker was a decent pick up, but again Thompson is still nothing but projection.

C - Amani can be upgraded.

DT - Solid depth, but no real playmakers.

CB - I'm a fan of Verner and Sensabough, but every team needs three now.

S - Pollard was a decent pickup but they need some youth here.
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just going to have disagree with your grade about Matt Elam.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
l3lind golfer

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

I thought the Niners really reached on Eric Reid at #18. I also didn't like what Dallas did.

nugpimpen wrote:
D?

lol ok

Just one man's opinion.

I want Mingo to succeed. He can be dynamic. I just think the risk/reward is extremely high on him and there were about 10 other guys available at that point that I would rather take. Hard for me to give a high grade for that. At best I might be talked into a C, but it was one of my five least favorite picks of the round.
candyman93

Location: The Man, The Myth, The Legend El Ramster on the sig
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikee wrote:
nugpimpen wrote:
D?

lol ok

Just one man's opinion.

I want Mingo to succeed. He can be dynamic. I just think the risk/reward is extremely high on him and there were about 10 other guys available at that point that I would rather take. Hard for me to give a high grade for that. At best I might be talked into a C, but it was one of my five least favorite picks of the round.

The only guy I'd consider would have been Milliner and maybe Vaccaro.

sdrawkcab321 wrote:
It'll be a cold day in hell when I read a thread title.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: