Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Android Thread V2 (Apple can't ban this)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yankee0724

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohiogenius wrote:
Karmaloop wrote:
That's fair. Whatever suites your needs. Dunno why everyone takes it so personally.

I think people hated the iPhone because most of their users talk about it like its the next great thing.

That being said, with Apple now sue happy, I think most of the Apple hate as of late is justified.

Sue happy? Laughing

Samsung flat out used their patents like they didn't exist.

Quote:
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yankee0724 wrote:
ohiogenius wrote:
Karmaloop wrote:
That's fair. Whatever suites your needs. Dunno why everyone takes it so personally.

I think people hated the iPhone because most of their users talk about it like its the next great thing.

That being said, with Apple now sue happy, I think most of the Apple hate as of late is justified.

Sue happy? Laughing

And Apple has done the same previously. The cloud? Apple rips off crap all the time anyway. They're behind the competition 80% of the time. Good thing they finally got that pesky turn-by-turn navigation figured out. I wonder who will sue Apple for the LTE chip? hmmmm

PM sig requests.
yankee0724

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
yankee0724 wrote:
ohiogenius wrote:
Karmaloop wrote:

Sue happy? Laughing

And Apple has done the same previously. The cloud? Apple rips off crap all the time anyway. They're behind the competition 80% of the time. Good thing they finally got that pesky turn-by-turn navigation figured out. I wonder who will sue Apple for the LTE chip? hmmmm

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2011/05/whoa-apple-patent-confirms-itunes-cloud-media-services.html

You mean the cloud that they patented where they didn't use the patents that got Google sued in June?

I'm not very well-versed in 4G, but from my understanding, the company Apple has used for it's chips for years, Qualcomm, is one of the leaders in 4G patents. Doubt Apple's violating their patents considering they're Apple's supplier. Not to mention Apple has over 400 patents of their own relating to LTE. Nice try though.

I swear, seeing how the vast majority of Android users are toward Apple is making me strongly reconsider getting an Android phone when I finally upgrade from my 3gs.

Quote:
milanb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yankee0724 wrote:
ohiogenius wrote:
Karmaloop wrote:

Sue happy? Laughing

Yeah, Samsung pirated cutting-edge technology like the white rectangle, and icons with rounded corners.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
yankee0724

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
yankee0724 wrote:
ohiogenius wrote:
Karmaloop wrote:

Sue happy? Laughing

Yeah, Samsung pirated cutting-edge technology like the white rectangle, and icons with rounded corners.

You apparently can't grasp that you can't go and use people's patents without their permission. It's called patent infringement and it's against the law. Your opinion on Apple's patents is worthless. They have them and Samsung violated them and now they have to pay for that.

End of story.

Quote:
JTagg7754

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yankee0724 wrote:

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2011/05/whoa-apple-patent-confirms-itunes-cloud-media-services.html

You mean the cloud that they patented where they didn't use the patents that got Google sued in June?

I'm not very well-versed in 4G, but from my understanding, the company Apple has used for it's chips for years, Qualcomm, is one of the leaders in 4G patents. Doubt Apple's violating their patents considering they're Apple's supplier. Not to mention Apple has over 400 patents of their own relating to LTE. Nice try though.

I swear, seeing how the vast majority of Android users are toward Apple is making me strongly reconsider getting an Android phone when I finally upgrade from my 3gs.

The Cloud was my basic assumption. Microsoft introduced a long while ago but I cannot remember when.

Nice try? I guess this is just stupid, irrelevant info then.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Apple-Samsung-HTC-Patent-Lawsuit,17595.html

Get whatever you want. Who cares about other people? Hell, from what I've witnessed most Apple users promote their products like it increases their social status of some sort. That would be enough for me to not want one. Or maybe that iPhones maybe cost .19 to make and they're sold for how much? Not saying they're the only company to do so, but I just recently saw it.

Again, ultimately it's whatever you want to do w/ your phone that should make your decision, not people.

PM sig requests.
milanb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yankee0724 wrote:

You apparently can't grasp that you can't go and use people's patents without their permission. It's called patent infringement and it's against the law. Your opinion on Apple's patents is worthless. They have them and Samsung violated them and now they have to pay for that.

End of story.

If you knew anything at all about patent law (and that's a big "if" judging by your post) you'd know that it's never even remotely that simple. For a patent to be granted it has to be for something that is non-obvious and absent of any prior art.

The fact that Apple was able to (a) obtain patents for trivial design elements that it had no part in inventing and (b) win a lawsuit based on those patents is more than anything symptomatic of a corrupt and convoluted patent system.

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong. — Ecclesiastes 9:11

But that’s the way to bet. — Jimmy The Greek
yankee0724

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

milanb wrote:
yankee0724 wrote:

End of story.

If you knew anything at all about patent law (and that's a big "if" judging by your post) you'd know that it's never even remotely that simple. For a patent to be granted it has to be for something that is non-obvious and absent of any prior art.

The fact that Apple was able to (a) obtain patents for trivial design elements that it had no part in inventing and (b) win a lawsuit based on those patents is more than anything symptomatic of a corrupt and convoluted patent system.

I understand, and agree, that some of the patents they were able to get shouldn't have been given, but they were. And Samsung was given the opportunity to pay to use them, just like other manufacturers have done btw, but they chose not to and used them anyway. It doesn't matter whether we agree with Apple being able to patent some of the things they did. They were able to and Samsung used them without Apple's consent.

I don't see how you can hold it against Apple for suing them for patent infringement just because you think the patents they infringed on shouldn't have been given.

Quote:
Karmaloop

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the patents Apple beat Samsung with were thrown out in most courts -- Apple has only really been victorious in the U.S. and Germany.

Regardless, Google is trying to settle their differences with Apple. I think Eric Schmidt is in talks with Tim Cook about the matter and Motorola (owned by Google) recently licensed some patents to Apple.

It doesn't seem like either HTC or Samsung will back down, though. And that's understandable. Apple has caused them nothing but grief. Judge Thomas Pender of the ITC has said that HTC's LTE patents are most likely valid and that Apple is possibly infringing on them.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-09-06/htc-patents-challenged-by-apple-probably-valid-judge-say.html

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karmaloop wrote:
Most of the patents Apple beat Samsung with were thrown out in most courts -- Apple has only really been victorious in the U.S. and Germany.

Regardless, Google is trying to settle their differences with Apple. I think Eric Schmidt is in talks with Tim Cook about the matter and Motorola (owned by Google) recently licensed some patents to Apple.

It doesn't seem like either HTC or Samsung will back down, though. And that's understandable. Apple has caused them nothing but grief. Judge Thomas Pender of the ITC has said that HTC's LTE patents are most likely valid and that Apple is possibly infringing on them.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-09-06/htc-patents-challenged-by-apple-probably-valid-judge-say.html

What a misleading title. Nowhere in the article does it have any quote calling them probably valid. All it says is that the judge has to be certain the patents are invalid to rule that way.

And isn't Apple using Qualcomm's LTE chips anyway? The company with the most LTE patents? Seriously doubt they're infringing on HTC's patents if they have the most. If anything, wouldn't companies ultimately be going after Qualcomm since they're the ones making the LTE chips?

Quote:
ohiogenius

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yankee0724 wrote:
I don't see how you can hold it against Apple for suing them for patent infringement just because you think the patents they infringed on shouldn't have been given.

Because Apples case was Samsung's app drawer looked like the 3g home screen. Also, 1 billion in damages for using white rectangle, and icons with rounded corners. Yeah that sounds like a major violation of FRAND patent law. In fact, those should be RAND patents if you ask me. Samsung made a case for it. They claimed if using 3g fell under RAND since it was so universal, should a rectangle shape be the same.

Also, Apple ripped on the notification system from android in their last OS. So yes a lot of users get irritated that Apple copies but sues others for using shapes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yankee0724 wrote:
And isn't Apple using Qualcomm's LTE chips anyway? The company with the most LTE patents? Seriously doubt they're infringing on HTC's patents if they have the most. If anything, wouldn't companies ultimately be going after Qualcomm since they're the ones making the LTE chips?
They aren't suing Qualcomm's chips (Qualcomm owns a stake in HTC, that would be foolish). They are suing Apple's implementation of LTE.

I also think you misunderstood the article. Apple is trying to say HTC shouldn't be allowed to sue Apple with those patents because they bought them, and the judge has said he doesn't care if they were bought.
Susan Decker wrote:
Pender said yesterday he probably won’t side with Apple’s argument that HTC didn’t have proper ownership rights of the two former ADC patents.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohiogenius wrote:
Also, Apple ripped on the notification system from android in their last OS. So yes a lot of users get irritated that Apple copies but sues others for using shapes.
No they didn't. They hired the guy who made the Jailbreak notification system and had him implement his code into the OS.

That's what they "copied," not Android.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
Packerfaninmn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
ohiogenius wrote:
No they didn't. They hired the guy who made the Jailbreak notification system and had him implement his code into the OS.

That's what they "copied," not Android.

Where did the guy get the idea?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Packerfaninmn wrote:
Where did the guy get the idea?

Doesn't really matter to the point at hand. Apple didn't rip off Android, they paid a developer of an open source product to use his product. There was no "ripping off" or copying of Android by Apple.

And LockInfo was in development before Android ever released their notification center, if that's what you're asking. Google also held no patent over the implementation.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 13 of 100

Jump to: