Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Android Thread V2 (Apple can't ban this)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Rich7sena


Joined: 12 Sep 2009
Posts: 3009
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigbadbuff23835 wrote:
ohiogenius wrote:
bigbadbuff23835 wrote:
Need new phone. Help.

You need to specify your Carrier, how much you want to pay and what you want.


Verizon, up to a couple hundred, and idk what i want lol..


I think your best option is either the Samsung Galaxy S III or the Galaxy Nexus.

The SGSIII has better hardware but the Nexus will get more frequent and timely Android updates.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ohiogenius


Joined: 11 Jul 2008
Posts: 3126
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So for the people who asked about the perks for being rooted.

First and foremost, its ability to run ROMs. Take for example an HTC phone. HTC takes Android and customizes the software. They call their version Sense. Another type of software available to phones is AOSP. This is the pure google experience. Stock android, no manufacturer overlay.

Now a developer usually take the software and makes tweaks to it. There is a group of people known as Team Bamf, who take HTC software and add customizations. They add features, remove a lot of bloatware, and make tweaks to the internals so that the software runs smoothly.

By rooting you can always choose to go stock android with a selection of AOSP ROMs. While most phones are running Gingerbread 2.3.4, AOSP Gingerbread ROMs are updated to Gingerbread 2.3.7.

Basically the biggest benefit is having a smooth UI and getting rid of useless apps that slow down your phone and drain battery. On 4g I used to get maybe 9 hours. Now I am closer to 14-15 hours.

The additional benefits are being able do download certain apps, being able to choose between Pure Android experience and the Manufacturer skins, getting add-ons that add additional functionality.

Also rooting is useful for a lot of people Rich7sena. Most people go from Android to iPhone/WP7 because they get a terrible software experience with the Skinned androids. Rooting for a lot of people just means getting Superuser access and adding more apps. But a big apart is loading ROMs that are optimized with tweaks for speed and stability.

bigbadbuff23835, I would recommend the Galaxy S III. The Nexus, gets updates just as slow as the SIII despite being a pure android experience. The phone for some reason has a lot of reception issues. If you find Nexus with no reception issues, I would go with that. If not, then S III
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JTagg7754


Joined: 09 Nov 2010
Posts: 10990
Location: Somewhere in Ohio
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You battery life really improved that much?? Holy hell.....

I know about themes and what not and I've been looking at quite a lot of them. I'm not toooo keen onto phones and how carriers tailor the version of Android. I'm definitely aware of bamf LOL. They seem to be on top of things and make some really cool ROMs.

Ever since I've thought about doing this, I've been reading up a lot on it in forums just to get some info on what I might be getting myself into. If battery life almost doubled for you though, I don't see how I couldn't do this. There are days when my battery just goes and goes. I have task killers but it doesn't seem to effect it much. Granted this has only happened maybe 4 times since I got my phone last year, but still, it happens.

I might have to ask for that info you said you'd supply earlier and also who the people are who do the rooting for me. I'm assuming all I would need to do is connect via USB, zip my files, send them, then copy and replace but I'm not positive. Logic is just telling me that's what it would be.

Much appreciation on the info.
_________________


PM sig requests.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jetsfandan423


Moderator
Joined: 25 Feb 2006
Posts: 15581
Location: Greensboro, NC
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so any other Galaxy S3 users out there? Any of you guys notice any problems with it?

I've had mine since Mon and I love it! I don't really have any complaints on it, except that the battery seems to get hot sometimes, but other than the first 2 days I had it, that hasn't been a problem. Overall great phone, I just need to get some accessories for it now like some screen protectors and a case.

Speaking of cases, anyone here ever use Otterbox? I found that site the other day, and they seem really cool, if a tad expensive, but I was thinking of getting my case from them.
_________________


Adopt a Jet: David Harris
TCK: 123 SACK: 2 FF: 1 INT:
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address
boondock


Moderator
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 21022
Location: Waynesville, NC
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetsfandan423 wrote:
Ok, so any other Galaxy S3 users out there? Any of you guys notice any problems with it?

I've had mine since Mon and I love it! I don't really have any complaints on it, except that the battery seems to get hot sometimes, but other than the first 2 days I had it, that hasn't been a problem. Overall great phone, I just need to get some accessories for it now like some screen protectors and a case.

Speaking of cases, anyone here ever use Otterbox? I found that site the other day, and they seem really cool, if a tad expensive, but I was thinking of getting my case from them.


Otterboxes are awesome. If you drop your phone a lot or are in a environment where you would not want to drop your phone, I would suggest one. It will add a lot of size to your phone though.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Karmaloop


Joined: 01 Mar 2008
Posts: 30720
Location: Queens, NY
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my S3 today and I agree about it getting really hot. It's pretty much the only problem.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
simonwayne


Joined: 11 Sep 2011
Posts: 14735
Location: United States
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had bad experiences with both of my android phones. First one was an HTC Hero. Current one is an HTC Evo 3D. I've gotten into multiple situations where default apps won't work properly, things like texting/gps/phone. I've had to factory reset the phones multiple times. It's safe to say that my next phone is going to be an iPhone.
_________________
Sigbet with El Ramster; OKC wins title = I win. IND wins title = he wins.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Karmaloop


Joined: 01 Mar 2008
Posts: 30720
Location: Queens, NY
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks to hear. Might have been a faulty unit - you should have tried exchanging it. It also depends on what sort of apps you install on your phone.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
boondock


Moderator
Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 21022
Location: Waynesville, NC
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simonwayne wrote:
I've had bad experiences with both of my android phones. First one was an HTC Hero. Current one is an HTC Evo 3D. I've gotten into multiple situations where default apps won't work properly, things like texting/gps/phone. I've had to factory reset the phones multiple times. It's safe to say that my next phone is going to be an iPhone.


Remember, that HTC, along with other Android phone manufacturers, put their own spin on the operating system. Samsung and Motorola are the leaders in Android phones, I would at least explore getting a different and better phone manufacturer before completely walking away from Android.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ohiogenius


Joined: 11 Jul 2008
Posts: 3126
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
I might have to ask for that info you said you'd supply earlier and also who the people are who do the rooting for me. I'm assuming all I would need to do is connect via USB, zip my files, send them, then copy and replace but I'm not positive. Logic is just telling me that's what it would be.

Much appreciation on the info.

As far as I know its done via remote connect. I cant seem to find the link but in the mean while this is the one root tool link if you feel like you can do it. I think you should do it because it will get you used to install ROMs and etc. Get familiar with your phone, because its fun.

Just do it man, Just do it!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FlyLikeAJet


Joined: 22 Jun 2011
Posts: 3773
Location: Getting FLAJ'd in The Peoples Republic of Queens
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just flashed Jelly Bean, good lord its amazing Cool
_________________

Gmen4ev wrote:


No man should be able to consume the amount of alcohol you do ... therefor you must be an alien
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BornToFly


Joined: 08 Jan 2006
Posts: 10942
Location: SE Wisconsin
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
BornToFly wrote:
Does anyone have any idea on how to remedy this?

I have the Epic Touch GS2, and when I go to send a text mesg, there are spam contacts in there, ( from skype, i think ) and I don't know how to delete them? I've deleted them from skype itself, but it's still in there. Kind of awkward when I'm showing my boss how to use his to send an email, and I bring up my contacts and there is one labeled "Fabio Mode" with a half naked dude on it. ( thanks skype )

Evil or Very Mad

I want these spam contacts off my PHONE!!


Get rid of Skype?



That did the trick, but it would of been nice to have skype on my phone. Oh well I guess.
_________________
BornToFly's Relationship Advice v.17
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JTagg7754


Joined: 09 Nov 2010
Posts: 10990
Location: Somewhere in Ohio
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BornToFly wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
BornToFly wrote:
Does anyone have any idea on how to remedy this?

I have the Epic Touch GS2, and when I go to send a text mesg, there are spam contacts in there, ( from skype, i think ) and I don't know how to delete them? I've deleted them from skype itself, but it's still in there. Kind of awkward when I'm showing my boss how to use his to send an email, and I bring up my contacts and there is one labeled "Fabio Mode" with a half naked dude on it. ( thanks skype )

Evil or Very Mad

I want these spam contacts off my PHONE!!


Get rid of Skype?



That did the trick, but it would of been nice to have skype on my phone. Oh well I guess.


I can see why and I agree. Did you try to have it installed but not syncing to your contacts? I think someone gave you the path to check how to do it. If they did and you need it, let me know.
_________________


PM sig requests.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RavensTillIDie


Moderator
Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Posts: 12186
Location: ----------------- Props to Jamison. on the dope signature!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JTagg7754 wrote:
BornToFly wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
BornToFly wrote:
Does anyone have any idea on how to remedy this?

I have the Epic Touch GS2, and when I go to send a text mesg, there are spam contacts in there, ( from skype, i think ) and I don't know how to delete them? I've deleted them from skype itself, but it's still in there. Kind of awkward when I'm showing my boss how to use his to send an email, and I bring up my contacts and there is one labeled "Fabio Mode" with a half naked dude on it. ( thanks skype )

Evil or Very Mad

I want these spam contacts off my PHONE!!


Get rid of Skype?



That did the trick, but it would of been nice to have skype on my phone. Oh well I guess.


I can see why and I agree. Did you try to have it installed but not syncing to your contacts? I think someone gave you the path to check how to do it. If they did and you need it, let me know.


Oh, in regards to this, I think I might have given you the wrong instructions before BornToFly. I didn't realize I had Skype pre-installed on my GS3 until I was scrolling through my apps the other day; tinkering with it, I found there is a way to unsync your contacts from the Skype application.

The steps are:

Open Skype -> Sign into your account -> Click 'Settings' - Click 'Sync Contacts' -> Choose the option that says 'Don't Sync'

And that SHOULD work.
_________________
BlaqOptic wrote:
I'VE NEVER SEEN A MORE EFFING LUCKY TEAM IN MY LIFE! Combination of Crap officiating and Jesus helping them out every damn game!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
swoosh


Joined: 03 Dec 2010
Posts: 8542
Location: U of O
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to get a mobile hotspot for free?

I have a Droid Incredible if it matters.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 3 of 100

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group