Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is Work ethic learned or genetic?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:54 am    Post subject: Is Work ethic learned or genetic? Reply with quote

My father is the hardest worker I know... He worked 2 full time jobs in the late 80's after his coal mining plant shut down, and then he started a lawn care business which we did as a family. My mother and father would work their full time job and we would cut grass in the evenings in the summer until night fall just about every night and most weekends.

But despite helping with the lawn care business and being involved in sports practices most my childhood I never developed his work ethic....

I am in the Air Force and currently in a rather important position in charge of aircraft maintenance and I see these maintainers, and think about past maintainers I know and there are those guys who just have that amazing work ethic and I have never been one of those guys unfortunately.

So do you think work ethic is something you are taught, or learn or just something you have inside you?

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant

Last edited by JDLefebvre on Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:59 am; edited 1 time in total
jfinley88

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say learned. If my parents didn't care about me "succeeding", I wouldn't spend nearly as much time studying and doing community service [inappropriate/removed].

But then again a lot of kids with bad parents work even harder to be more than their family.

So just like the whole nature vs. nature, it's a little of both.
green24

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like it's something that can be triggered by an event or series of events. What events can cause it might be genetic or at least not completely random.
UofMfan909

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a bunch of studies out there that say that it's mostly learned. Praising children for their smarts will have them think success is mostly internal and will generally lead to lower work ethic, while praising children for their effort will lead to them trying hard, thinking they can create their own success, and a higher overall work ethic.

i don't know. Something like that. It's been a few years since my Psych 101 course. Obviously nothing completely proven but there is correlation. On a personal level - I can work hard when I put my mind to something, but my motivation to do things/get started sucks. I was always prased as a smrt cid my entire life, to, so I kind of fall in line with the thing up their.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really know that it's either. I've seen people that have extremely hard working parents/family, and are as lazy as possible. I've also see worthless parent that have kids that want nothing more than to get out of that situation, and put in whatever work is needed to do so.

If it were genetic, or learned, I'd be the hardest working person in the world. I had grandparents that came over from Mexico in the 20's and were migrant farm workers until they could buy a mine. My dad worked the fields, worked the mine, and worked hard jobs until they pretty much forced retirement on him. Me, I do work hard, but about half of it is trying to find ways to make the processes easier. Companies call that efficiency, but I know the truth. It's nothing more than laziness spun to make it seem like it's making things better for everybody. I should have inherited it, and learned it, but it's definitely not there like it should be.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thought UofM....

I was a really good wrestler as a kid and it came easy to me when I was young... I was praised for that and I did work hard in practice but I wasn't a good practice wrestler if that makes sense... the not so good kids could beat me in practice but come the actual match I usually won.... I didn't go above and beyond to be great. I didn't have that work ethic that the elite athletes have.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And part of my curiousity on the subject is because my late-grandfather had a great work effort too.... so maybe its a generation type thing.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both...but mainly learned. I think work ethic is connected to passion and ambition as well.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
JBURGE25

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really weird. When I was a kid (10-15), I played tennis very competitively. I was really motivated, and while there were some signs of laziness, I did it. I tried about as hard as jfin does to be funny, but with actual success. Then I quit, and got a job. I have had different jobs, but I work hard in them. Then there's school.... it is awful to say, and I know it is a terrible thing to do, but I just don't care at all. I don't know what it is, whether I don't believe in our educational system (I don't), or I'm really just this lazy, but I hate it. And it shows. Typical 90 high school student to 60 university student.

Both my parents have amazing work habits.

I think in my case it was more wearing myself out at a young age, becoming lazy when I quit outside of work, and sticking with that. It's really sad to think about.

Revel8 wrote:
I believe I may have already found it. Not only the way to cure ebola, but every virus period.

PSN: ShiiNyIV
jrry32

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thought process is this, people need to inspire themselves. You need something to work towards. Some lofty goal that you're passionate about. That will give you ambition which will inspire you to work hard.

That's how it works for me. When I am motivated, I have an amazing work ethic. When I feel challenged and that I'm working towards a goal I have set, I'll work tirelessly. If I don't feel something is a challenge and I don't care about it, I'll give minimal effort.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
ThePrimeTime12

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is pretty obviously learned. I don't know a whole lot of things connected to genetics other than like athletic ability and even then it can be worked on.

Genetics just seems to be a cop out for many things. It gives them a reason not to try or not to do certain things because they don't want to seem like they are in control when they really are. I have seen so many people blame genetics saying, "Welp, I am not naturally smart as my genetics show, so I am not going to try."

^^ Joe_is_the_best on the sig
wraith

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can be taught work ethic but the degree its harnessed is up to the person. some people are more laid back, others are influenced and give it 100%.
tom cody

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's learned and you develop it in your workplace. You see your co-workers work hard and you do the same as well.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
My thought process is this, people need to inspire themselves. You need something to work towards. Some lofty goal that you're passionate about. That will give you ambition which will inspire you to work hard.

That's how it works for me. When I am motivated, I have an amazing work ethic. When I feel challenged and that I'm working towards a goal I have set, I'll work tirelessly. If I don't feel something is a challenge and I don't care about it, I'll give minimal effort.

Amen.

Its partly something you can instill in someone. But at the end of the day it isn't learned OR inherited. It comes from within.

Do I have to pay Nike royalties now?

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learned

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> This aint sports talk! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: