Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rookie expectations for Justin Blackmon
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sadjag

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Rookie expectations for Justin Blackmon Reply with quote

Most of you reading this were probably in our draft night chatroom at some point. And you may remember how ecstatic I was about the pick I think he may be the most talented 1st round pick we've had since Bosselli but as we all know rookie wide receivers can take quite awhile to develop. Maybe even Blackmon especially because of his physical style. He will need too work on his route running in particular.

The reason i started this thread was merely too ask what are your expectations for him this season? Personally I'm expecting him too have a season similar to Dez Bryant's rookie season somewhere along the line of 50 catches for 600 yards and 6 touchdowns.

I think those numbers are realistic and I expect him too be having 1000 yard seasons as early as 2013 thanks too coach Sullivan.

So what do you think? Would you be disappointed by those numbers?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staying out of trouble and showing improvement from week to week is the expectation. It's hard to try to assign expected numbers when we really have no idea what the offense will look like.

Being a reliable third down option for Blaine would be nice too.

"We're not trying to win the AFC South, we're trying to own the AFC South."
- Gus Bradley
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, love the sig mojo

2nd, I'm expecting about 700 and 5. Nothing major but thats what I'm hoping for

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
First off, love the sig mojo

2nd, I'm expecting about 700 and 5. Nothing major but thats what I'm hoping for

Yea, I was pretty pleased with it.

I think the TD's could be anywhere from 1-2 or as much as 5-7. He's not really a deep threat, so TD's for him will come in the redzone and he has to compete with Marcedes and MJD for his number to be called down there - I just don't see it happening all too often.

I think he'll have yardage somewhere in the 700-900 range, but I don't expect his YPC to be much over 10.

- Gus Bradley
skaterbirdhouse

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see him being somewhere around 40 receptions with 500+ yards and 3-6 TDs. Don't wanna get my hopes up to high.
MoJo122-b-21

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skaterbirdhouse wrote:
I could see him being somewhere around 40 receptions with 500+ yards and 3-6 TDs. Don't wanna get my hopes up to high.

I know the comparison is getting played out, but I could see him having a Crabtree-type of rookie season.

- Gus Bradley
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoJo122-b-21 wrote:
skaterbirdhouse wrote:

I know the comparison is getting played out, but I could see him having a Crabtree-type of rookie season.

Crabtree also had some injury problems though

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
MoJo122-b-21 wrote:
skaterbirdhouse wrote:

Crabtree also had some injury problems though

I kind of took that into account. Crabtree was also a more polished receiver coming out. I think the nagging injuries have been what's kept him from being a top tier number two - Blackmon will likely have a similar hurdle to overcome in the off-field judgement area.

- Gus Bradley
McMorrow_922

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blackmon dont get his credit he deserves, he had the 6th best recieving season last year in NCAA history. He has accomplished more then most all recieving prospects, he was voted the nations top WR back to back years, he had more hype last year then anyone ive seen in awhile. The dude is a freak. It dont matter where you put the ball, he finds a way to make a play, hes a playmaker. He is gonna be the greatest thing Jville has seen in a long time mark my word. Hes gonna be are possession reciever who Gabbert will target quite often, he will have 50-70 Receptions and 700-900 yards 6-8 tds. And he will only improve in 2013. Ive loved this dude for awhile, call me crazy but he will.be a STAR. Gene Smith made a nice trade up, that will finally give him some respect an show how good he is at drafting athletes who will make differences.

Adopt a JAGUAR

Laurent Robinson-

Marcedes Lewis-
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McMorrow_922 wrote:
Blackmon dont get his credit he deserves, he had the 6th best recieving season last year in NCAA history. He has accomplished more then most all recieving prospects, he was voted the nations top WR back to back years, he had more hype last year then anyone ive seen in awhile. The dude is a freak. It dont matter where you put the ball, he finds a way to make a play, hes a playmaker. He is gonna be the greatest thing Jville has seen in a long time mark my word. Hes gonna be are possession reciever who Gabbert will target quite often, he will have 50-70 Receptions and 700-900 yards 6-8 tds. And he will only improve in 2013. Ive loved this dude for awhile, call me crazy but he will.be a STAR. Gene Smith made a nice trade up, that will finally give him some respect an show how good he is at drafting athletes who will make differences.

It has nothing to respecting Blackmon, it has to do with a lack of respect for our QB

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
McMorrow_922 wrote:

It has nothing to respecting Blackmon, it has to do with a lack of respect for our QB
Blasphemy!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
McMorrow_922 wrote:

Gabbert will be fine, whens the first preseason game?

Adopt a JAGUAR

Laurent Robinson-

Marcedes Lewis-
Bohlmann20

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McMorrow_922 wrote:
Blackmon dont get his credit he deserves, he had the 6th best recieving season last year in NCAA history. He has accomplished more then most all recieving prospects, he was voted the nations top WR back to back years, he had more hype last year then anyone ive seen in awhile...

This is true.

Throughout Blackmon's NCAA career, he was compared to Crabtree simply because they are both BXII receivers who dominated without any outstanding athletic (relative to other receivers) prowess. Unfortunately, that comparison has seeped into the mind's of NFL fans and, because of Crabtree's lack of pro production, Blackmon gets a bad reputation.

But really Crabtree and Blackmon are not much alike. Blackmon really knows how to execute double moves almost perfectly and get great separation (evident by how he torched Amukamura, a first round CB, in college). He doesn't wait for the ball like some receivers, but goes to the ball while it's in the air.

I don't know if I really care for Blackmon, he's proven to attract negative media. I would've preferred a different pick in the draft, but Blackmon is a great receiver prospect and has a really underrated ceiling.

I'd venture to say 800 yards; 6 td's this year.

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

From the perspective of nfl fans or Jaguars fans? Because I don't know if that's solely the case with the former.
McMorrow_922

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bohlmann20 wrote:
McMorrow_922 wrote:
Blackmon dont get his credit he deserves, he had the 6th best recieving season last year in NCAA history. He has accomplished more then most all recieving prospects, he was voted the nations top WR back to back years, he had more hype last year then anyone ive seen in awhile...

This is true.

Throughout Blackmon's NCAA career, he was compared to Crabtree simply because they are both BXII receivers who dominated without any outstanding athletic (relative to other receivers) prowess. Unfortunately, that comparison has seeped into the mind's of NFL fans and, because of Crabtree's lack of pro production, Blackmon gets a bad reputation.

But really Crabtree and Blackmon are not much alike. Blackmon really knows how to execute double moves almost perfectly and get great separation (evident by how he torched Amukamura, a first round CB, in college). He doesn't wait for the ball like some receivers, but goes to the ball while it's in the air.

I don't know if I really care for Blackmon, he's proven to attract negative media. I would've preferred a different pick in the draft, but Blackmon is a great receiver prospect and has a really underrated ceiling.

I'd venture to say 800 yards; 6 td's this year.

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:

From the perspective of nfl fans or Jaguars fans? Because I don't know if that's solely the case with the former.

thanks sir!

Adopt a JAGUAR

Laurent Robinson-

Marcedes Lewis-
jrry32

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McMorrow_922 wrote:

By awhile, do you mean 1 year? AJ Green had far more hype than Blackmon.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: