Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Today is the deadline for Ray Rice to sign a long term deal
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sp6488

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Today is the deadline for Ray Rice to sign a long term deal Reply with quote

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/ravens-insider/bal-deadline-day-for-rice-ravens-20120715,0,6606174.story

Quote:
The two sides have until 4 p.m. today to reach a deal or Rice will be in line to play the season under the $7.7 million franchise tag. The 25-year-old would then have to wait until after the season to revisit a long-term extension with the Ravens.

I really hope we can ink something long term with Rice!!!!

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hope Im proven wrong in a couple hours, but I dont think it gets done. There hasnt been many indications of progress from the media in the last couple days or even weeks.

I think the Ravens should offer a deal somewhere in the ball park of what LeSean McCoy and Arian Foster got, maybe a bit more, and leave it at that. Both sides are probably playing hardball till the deadline, but the Ravens really have the leverage here. Adrian Peterson money isnt happening.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I think it'll get done. The market is kind of set, I imagine it's a matter of both sides seeing who blinks first, but in the end, I think we see a deal done that's slightly more than Foster. I can't imagine the Ravens want to go into next off-season with both Flacco and Rice's contracts to do.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

If a police officer offered me a warning, no, I would not take it.
scraly47*

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
Personally, I think it'll get done. The market is kind of set, I imagine it's a matter of both sides seeing who blinks first, but in the end, I think we see a deal done that's slightly more than Foster. I can't imagine the Ravens want to go into next off-season with both Flacco and Rice's contracts to do.

Another thing is that what if Rice ends up improving on his numbers this season? Let's say he hits 1800 rushing yards and around 12-15 TDS? Wouldn't he then make a case that he should earn more than AP?

Edit: Forte just got his money. not sure of the exact numbers but it is for four years.

-Lork
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scraly47* wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:

Another thing is that what if Rice ends up improving on his numbers this season? Let's say he hits 1800 rushing yards and around 12-15 TDS? Wouldn't he then make a case that he should earn more than AP?

Edit: Forte just got his money. not sure of the exact numbers but it is for four years.

Forte's deal is about $8m a year.

Rice's market is basically firm. There's no reason a deal should not be done by 5pm today.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

HokieRaven5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
scraly47* wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:

Forte's deal is about $8m a year.

Rice's market is basically firm. There's no reason a deal should not be done by 5pm today.

Might run into some issues if it is done by 5pm. Would prefer it to be done before the deadline of 4pm Wink

Also drew brees deal definitely puts the ravens in the bind for a Flacco deal. A franchise of Flacco would lose them all leverage.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea you've got to feel like the ball is really in Rice's court here. Its not hard to figure out what fair market value is; so assuming the Ravens are willing to offer that, its really up to Rice to accept it. If a deal doesnt get done I would think his demands were just too much.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so the players close to Rice as far as I know have the following deals...

Forte - 4 years, $32m, $8m/year avearge, $18m guaranteed.
McCoy - 5 years, $45m, $9m/year average, $20.75m guaranteed.
Foster - 5 years, $43.5m, $8.7m average, $20.75m guaranteed.

Now, IMO, Rice should get slightly more than each as he's been slightly more productive in his career. I'd say 5 years, $47m, $9.4m/year average, $23m guaranteed.

What I'd do...
Signing bonus: $10m ($2m/year pro-rated)
2012: $4m salary (guaranteed), $2m SB ($6m cap hit)
2013: $6m salary (guaranteed), $2m SB ($8m cap hit)
2014: $7m salary ($3m guaranteed), $2m SB ($9m cap hit)
2015: $9m salary, $2m SB ($11m cap hit)
2016: $11m salary, $2m SB ($13m cap hit)

This will keep his cap hit lower for the next 2-3 years to allow us to phase out veterans' contracts such as Birk/McKinnie/Ray/Ed/Williams/Boldin. As well, the majority of the guaranteed money is paid out in the first 2 years aside from the SB. The SB is only $2m/year, so if he were to deteroriate after 3 more years, we can let him go without much of a cap hit.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion is do what they did with Ngata and give Rice a larger amount of guaranteed money. There's only an hour and half left now.
raven5255

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im thinking the Ravens have an offer on the table and its up to Rice to take it or leave it. I cant imagine the team giving in in the final couple hours before a deadline. Wouldnt give them much leverage in future negotiations if word was out that they increased their offer out of desperation at the last minute.

I think Flaccomania laid out a pretty reasonable contract. Dont see what's wrong with that. Obviously we dont know what the Ravens are actually offering, but Ive got to think its a fair offer. We've always given generous contracts to those who deserve them, most recently Ngata and Suggs. Nothing cheap about the contracts they received.
bmorecareful

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is we can't go into next offseason with Flacco and Ray Rice both not under contract. If Rice doesn't get done by the deadline Flacco has to get done sometime during the season. My biggest fear is not signing them now and them both having even bigger seasons next year inflating their monetary value even more. Especially Flacco, I think our skill position players are going to improve on last years success alot which in turn is going to turn Flaccos numbers into Franchise single season record type of stats. Don't get me wrong that might not be overly impressive but at the end of the day being the best a team has ever had is a helluva bargaining chip.
raq11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you guys can sign him before the deadline. Should be closer to McCoy's than Forte's, but right in that neighborhood.

As for Flacco, Stafford should be re-signed this season, Cutler too. They might be the indications the contract is waiting on? No idea where Flacco's value would sit in between.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Baltimore Ravens ‏@Ravens

.@vleach44 predicting good news, says he expects #Ravens to sign Ray Rice by 4 p.m. deadline

A little more than half an hour to go.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
Quote:
Baltimore Ravens ‏@Ravens

.@vleach44 predicting good news, says he expects #Ravens to sign Ray Rice by 4 p.m. deadline

A little more than half an hour to go.

Update..

VontaLeach44 ‏@vleach44
@RayRice27 seen arriving at #Ravens facilities bout 15 minutes ago.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:

StRawz11

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

11 minutes to get it done

"I'm dismantling who I was and moving it brick by brick."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: