Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Flacco deal by training camp opening next week?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Flacco deal by training camp opening next week? Reply with quote

Quote:
With a deal for running back Ray Rice now finished, the Baltimore Ravens are optimistic they can reach a contract extension with quarterback Joe Flacco by the time training camp opens next week, sources tell ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8177349/baltimore-ravens-optimistic-joe-flacco-deal-training-camp-sources-say

This'll be interesting. I'm surprised that it could happen so soon. Personally, I believe this coming year should be Flacco's best statistically, so getting a deal done now might be a good idea from the Ravens' perspective.

Any predictions on the contract? Unlike the Rice deal, there doesn't seem to be a set market for what a player like Flacco should be getting. Clearly more than Alex Smith, but clearly less than Drew Brees....
wackywabbit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nfl.com has a source saying there's a 75% chance it gets done by next week..
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that source is Daniel Jeremiah (@MoveTheSticks) who was a scout with the Ravens for a few years. He has since worked for the Browns and Eagles and now is a part of the NFL.com staff but I would think he still has some connections to the Ravens. I'm still not optimistic that we'll see a deal for Flacco before the end of this season though.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we could see a deal something like 6 years, $87M with $40M guaranteed. That would put him at $14.5M average salary which places him higher than any QB without a ring and not named Vick.

Here's how the current average salaries for NFL QB's goes..

Brees $20m
P. Manning $19.2m
Big Ben $17m
Vick $16m
Brady $15.7m
E. Manning $15.2m

He then would be sitting right above...

Rivers $14m
Bradford $13m
Ryan $12m
Stafford $12m

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats encouraging news. I wont get too excited just yet, but thats definitely better odds than I expected.

I would probably like to see a contract slotted somewhere in between the ridiculous deal Buffalo gave Ryan Fitzpatrick and what Phillip Rivers has. Its a pretty big gap between the 2, but most of the other comparable quarterbacks are either on their rookie deals (Ryan, Stafford) or they signed their contracts 4 or 5 years ago (Schaub, Cutler).
sp6488

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raven5255 wrote:
Thats encouraging news. I wont get too excited just yet, but thats definitely better odds than I expected.

I would probably like to see a contract slotted somewhere in between the ridiculous deal Buffalo gave Ryan Fitzpatrick and what Phillip Rivers has. Its a pretty big gap between the 2, but most of the other comparable quarterbacks are either on their rookie deals (Ryan, Stafford) or they signed their contracts 4 or 5 years ago (Schaub, Cutler).

I think that the Rice signing may have given us more leverage. Flacco's agent obviously knew that if we couldn't reach a deal with Rice, we'd still possibly have to decide between using the tag on flacco or rice next offseason. Now it's almost a foregone conclusion that we will use the tag on Flacco if a deal cannot be reached. Plus, he doesnt have very much money to be made on his rookie deal. Really makes sense for Flacco's camp to get a long-term deal with big guarentees done NOW.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
raven5255 wrote:

I think that the Rice signing may have given us more leverage. Flacco's agent obviously knew that if we couldn't reach a deal with Rice, we'd still possibly have to decide between using the tag on flacco or rice next offseason. Now it's almost a foregone conclusion that we will use the tag on Flacco if a deal cannot be reached. Plus, he doesnt have very much money to be made on his rookie deal. Really makes sense for Flacco's camp to get a long-term deal with big guarentees done NOW.

It's also in the best interest of the Ravens to get a long term deal done, the Ravens don't want to tag him next year, that would be a big number on their cap (bigger than Haloti Ngata's franchise tag was). Who is going to be available at QB on the open market next year that can physically match Flacco's success? People could say the Ravens could easily replace Flacco based on his stats but can any of the potential free agent QBs physically handle playing in the tough physical AFC North? Are they as durable as Joe Flacco is? can't help a team win if you're hurt and can't play consistently. Joe Flacco is the perfect storm for the Ravens because they don't have to pay him top 5 money like they would have for Peyton Manning or Drew Brees. Manning and Brees are great but the Ravens may not be comfortable paying any QB $20 million a year, the contract they are going to give Flacco will be the most lucrative contract they have ever given to QB or player. They also know what they are getting from Joe.
The 2013 free agent QB list isn't impressive and you never truly know what the draft will present. The Ravens know they can win with Joe, they won't pay him top 5 money but they will show him respect.
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'm hoping they can avoid using the franchise tag on Flacco. That would eat into the Ravens cap space and I wouldn't expect a deal to get done early on. The transition tag would be a different story but it's not a common thing to see. I have no doubts whatsoever a deal will eventually get done though. Flacco will be the Ravens QB of the future.
patman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you think he will take less money than what Rivers Signed 3 years ago?

I am thinking 6 years 90 mill with 1/2 of it up front/Guaranteed. The tag next year is going to be close to 18mill after Brees and Manning's contract.
raven5255

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patman wrote:
Why do you think he will take less money than what Rivers Signed 3 years ago?

I am thinking 6 years 90 mill with 1/2 of it up front/Guaranteed. The tag next year is going to be close to 18mill after Brees and Manning's contract.

Not saying he will, just what I would like to see happen. Rivers got a ton of guaranteed money even though his base salaries are a little bit lower than some of the other top QBs. Pretty sure Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and Drew Brees are the only QBs who got more guaranteed money than what Rivers did, which was around 38 or 39 mil. Stafford and Bradford have more but only because they were 1st overall draft picks. Thats more than Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger, even though those contracts were signed a couple years ago.

It probably will take a contract similar to that to get a deal done, but unfortunately thats just the type of money it takes today. I am confident that Flacco will be resigned sooner or later. Teams just dont let their franchise QBs hit the open market. We do need to avoid the tag though, which should be over 17 mil.
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Flacco deal by training camp opening next week? Reply with quote

wackywabbit wrote:
Quote:
With a deal for running back Ray Rice now finished, the Baltimore Ravens are optimistic they can reach a contract extension with quarterback Joe Flacco by the time training camp opens next week, sources tell ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8177349/baltimore-ravens-optimistic-joe-flacco-deal-training-camp-sources-say

This'll be interesting. I'm surprised that it could happen so soon. Personally, I believe this coming year should be Flacco's best statistically, so getting a deal done now might be a good idea from the Ravens' perspective.

Any predictions on the contract? Unlike the Rice deal, there doesn't seem to be a set market for what a player like Flacco should be getting. Clearly more than Alex Smith, but clearly less than Drew Brees....

My prediction from a few months ago. Flacco will definitely be the highest paid Ravens player. Meaning his deal definitely trumps Ngata's, but by how much is anyones guess. I'm thinking he gets paid a little more than Ngats but with incentives he'll have the chance to make what a guy like Phillip Rivers is making. Realistically I'm thinking he actually sees about $13.5m per.
diamondbull424 wrote:
2.) The Baltimore Ravens sign QB Joe Flacco to contract extension:
7 years, $88.2M contract, 44.5M guaranteed. Another 20M available through incentives (some likely, some unlikely). 2012 Cap Hit: Same.. I think we see Flacco play out his rookie deal with the same cap hits, etc. And then a 6 year "new" deal takes affect after the 2012 season. Officially locking up Flacco for, what should be/potentially be, his entire career with the Baltimore Ravens. He'd be 34 by the end of the deal and likely headed into a period of possible decline. At best, he might have a couple more years left in him at that point.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: