Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Sidney Rice to Retire from NFL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Sidney Rice to Retire from NFL Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/23/seahawks-receiver-sidney-rice-is-retiring/

Quote:
Per a league source, receiver Sidney Rice has decided to retire from football. The source says that the 27-year-old Rice’s decision arises from his history of concussions.

My guess would also be he wasn't feeling all too confident about his chances to make the roster potential as well. The idea of a healthy Sidney was nice, but he needs to what's best for his health

^Rammy
Biggest Irvn, Michael, and ET Supporter

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'll put the 2013 Seahawks one spot over the 2008 Steelers on the Top 10
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's too bad - I wonder if we'll bring in another WR to compete in camp.

I hope this opens the door for Chris Matthews to get the #6 spot.

Good luck to Rice - I have respect for anyone who has the wherewithal to hang it up early in favour of health. He's accomplished some things in his career and he has a ring - no sense in putting your future at risk if you aren't able to.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=550031
SoS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwiftTexan wrote:

Good luck to Rice - I have respect for anyone who has the wherewithal to hang it up early in favour of health. He's accomplished some things in his career and he has a ring - no sense in putting your future at risk if you aren't able to.

I think it all but assures Ricardo Lockette gets that #6 spot personally. Is Matthews PS eligible?
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
SwiftTexan wrote:

I think it all but assures Ricardo Lockette gets that #6 spot personally. Is Matthews PS eligible?

yes he is, I don't get Lockette personally. He shouldn't be losted as a WR - he's a ST player like Slater from the Pats.
SoS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwiftTexan wrote:
SoS wrote:
SwiftTexan wrote:

yes he is, I don't get Lockette personally. He shouldn't be losted as a WR - he's a ST player like Slater from the Pats.

And Slater is listed as a WR on the Pats roster.
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
SwiftTexan wrote:
SoS wrote:
SwiftTexan wrote:

yes he is, I don't get Lockette personally. He shouldn't be listed as a WR - he's a ST player like Slater from the Pats.

I know- that's also a mistake since he has 1 career reception. 1. One. That's it.

I'm just saying, as a former ST Coach, I know that I need to work with guys who may not be the best special teams player but rather I'm going to get the guys who can produce elsewhere but can also play ST. It's a mistake to let Lockette occupy a roster spot if it comes at the expense of someone with potential.
SoS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwiftTexan wrote:
SoS wrote:
SwiftTexan wrote:
SoS wrote:
SwiftTexan wrote:

yes he is, I don't get Lockette personally. He shouldn't be listed as a WR - he's a ST player like Slater from the Pats.

I know- that's also a mistake since he has 1 career reception. 1. One. That's it.

I'm just saying, as a former ST Coach, I know that I need to work with guys who may not be the best special teams player but rather I'm going to get the guys who can produce elsewhere but can also play ST. It's a mistake to let Lockette occupy a roster spot if it comes at the expense of someone with potential.

It's not as if Lockette is completely useless as a receiver. He provides great size and phenomenal speed. Those will never go out of style in the NFL.
green24

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoS wrote:
SwiftTexan wrote:
SoS wrote:
SwiftTexan wrote:
SoS wrote:
SwiftTexan wrote:

It's not as if Lockette is completely useless as a receiver. He provides great size and phenomenal speed. Those will never go out of style in the NFL.

Never forget that Channel 83 hype.

#TeamManfred
green24

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwiftTexan wrote:
SoS wrote:
SwiftTexan wrote:
SoS wrote:
SwiftTexan wrote:

Just like the Giants should have done with that Tyree guy several years ago.

#TeamManfred
SoS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
SoS wrote:
SwiftTexan wrote:
SoS wrote:
SwiftTexan wrote:
SoS wrote:
SwiftTexan wrote:

Never forget that Channel 83 hype.

He's a bonafide #1 WR just waiting for his shot...
SwiftTexan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Just like the Giants should have done with that Tyree guy several years ago.

Tyree is exactly the type of guy that should stick around as the last receiver spot. He's a capable receiver and a very good special teams player.

Lockette and Slater are useless receivers and great special teams players.

Pick any of Tyree's full seasons with the Giants and he has more receptions than Lockette and Slater have combined for their collective careers. Lockette also could only get on the active roster for 10 total games in his NFL career. If he's not good enough to dress, he has less than zero value either as a receiver or a special teams player.

It's been three years and he hasn't proven anything. I can't believe there are intelligent people like SoS who still think he has potential. I'm hoping he's just kidding to get a rise out of me. He's tall. Great. He's fast. So what? I'd rather take a kid an inch shorter and a step slower who can catch and teach him how to tackle at a passable level than save a roster spot for this talentless hack. He's worst than Slater and 100x worse than Tyree. At least those guys can claim that they have contributed to their NFL's success.

There's 10 guys in camp right now I'd rather have than Ricardo Lockette and about 20 more that are unsigned free agents. Again, as a special teams coach, I would urge the head coach to cut a kid who will never be more than a ST player. I can coach a guy with skills to be a WR how to tackle but I can't get anything out of a guy like Lockette.
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably every CB on our team has more natural hands than Lockette

^Rammy
Biggest Irvn, Michael, and ET Supporter

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'll put the 2013 Seahawks one spot over the 2008 Steelers on the Top 10
Tooki

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although he hasn't got natural hands, Lockette is useful as a deep receiver and a run blocker. At least this year, having him on the roster won't jeopardise any other positions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: