Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

What Movie Are You Watching? - 11
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 98, 99, 100  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apodrocks

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
Apodrocks wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:
More than halfway through The Tall Man.

It's a thriller starring Jessica Biel. So far, it's been an entertaining watch for what it is. It's essentially a classic B-movie, and the plot gets progressively ridiculous. The first 15 minutes signal a more affective film, but it eventually becomes a bread-and-butter plot twister. Fun watch, though.

Hmm, according to The Osprey it's a top 5 movie of the year.
ITS GOTTA BE AMAZING!

I'm new to this section of the site (who knew this place had an underworld teeming with discussion about many things I love discussing outside of football?), nice to see a thread about films. But the film is most definitely not top 5 for the year. It's just a kick-your-feet-up watch-for-fun movie with an ounce more substance than is average. Enjoyable watch but we're not talking Casablanca here.

Welcome to the entertainment board then man!

^Packerbacker87 on the sig, thanks!
VikeADunn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:

It's a thriller starring Jessica Biel. So far, it's been an entertaining watch for what it is. It's essentially a classic B-movie, and the plot gets progressively ridiculous. The first 15 minutes signal a more affective film, but it eventually becomes a bread-and-butter plot twister. Fun watch, though.

I'm about to start this too

[quote="tylerdouglass"]VikeADunn, you're my hero.[/quote]

2013 Adopt-A-Viking: DT Sharrif Floyd
Tk: 2 Sk: Stf: PD: 2 FF/FR:
JCamGOPACKGO

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched Whiteboyz last night, which was awesome... "nah you see that aint a birthmark..the rest of my skin is a birthmark..." - Flip Dogg

Tonight I'm watching Revolver. It started out awesome, like any Guy Ritchie movie (I'm unsure how someone so awesome could be married to Madonna) but it's almost over now and I've been disappointed for the last 30-40 minutes. Should have stuck to its original course.

Shout out to justo on the avatar!
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apodrocks wrote:

Thanks! Have you seen anything worthwhile lately? What are some of your favorite films?

Peppers90 on the sig.
PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikeADunn wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:

Go for it. Let me know what you think afterward.

Peppers90 on the sig.
TheOsprey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
Apodrocks wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:

Hmm, according to The Osprey it's a top 5 movie of the year.
ITS GOTTA BE AMAZING!

I'm new to this section of the site (who knew this place had an underworld teeming with discussion about many things I love discussing outside of football?), nice to see a thread about films. But the film is most definitely not top 5 for the year. It's just a kick-your-feet-up watch-for-fun movie with an ounce more substance than is average. Enjoyable watch but we're not talking Casablanca here.

Admittedly, it isn't Casablanca, but this year has been a pretty weak one as far as films go. I've only seen 27 films with a 2012 release date, but right now, I have it at #6 of the films I have seen. Personally, I loved the way that it made you think it was gonna be the supernatural thriller, but then pulls the rug out from under you and goes in a totally different direction. It also has a twist ending that makes you ponder what is right and what is wrong, regarding what is happening. Martyrdom, seems to be a recurring them in Laugier's films as well.
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw Taken 2, pretty much what I expected. Not a very good movie, but an entertaining one. If you go into a movie knowing it's not going to be good but that there will be plenty of action, it can be pretty enjoyable.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
Apodrocks wrote:

Thanks! Have you seen anything worthwhile lately? What are some of your favorite films?

I would recommend People Like Us. Great film. I have it as my #1 of 2012.

Older movies that I highly recommend are:

The Shawshank Redemption
8MM
Se7en
Up
The Incredibles
Gone Baby Gone
In the Valley of Elah
Definitely, Maybe
Man on Fire
Zodiac

You've probably seen most of them though. Nice to see a new poster. Very Happy
VikeADunn

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
VikeADunn wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:

I thought it started to fizzle out after about an hour. Didn't like it.

Quote:
There was no justification for kidnapping 18 freaking children. Lot of the kids were taken from parents who weren't physically shown to neglectful or abusive, but just poor. Great men and women have arisen from poor circumstances. No justification at all.

Oh and being willing to pay for a child that you KNOW has been kidnapped, doesn't make you good candidate to be a parent.

PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheOsprey wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:
Apodrocks wrote:

The Shawshank Redemption
8MM
Se7en
Up
The Incredibles
Gone Baby Gone
In the Valley of Elah
Definitely, Maybe
Man on Fire
Zodiac

Nice to meet you, too. I have not previously heard of People Like Us; I'll give it a go. The premise intrigues me, as dramas are probably my favorite type of films.

I have seen some of the films on that list. I am a huge fan of Zodiac; superb acting, taut storytelling, bloodcurdling atmosphere. I also enjoyed Gone Baby Gone, which I found appealing because I felt Ben Affleck made the right decision in telling a simple story well rather than a complex one poorly. Se7en was an enjoyable watch but I think it's severely overrated.

I enjoyed The Incredibles and thought Up was terrible (alert the authorities, I know). I believe Up's director was the same person behind Monsters, Inc., a personal Pixar favorite of mine, so I was disappointed. As far as animated features go, I am a diehard Studio Ghibli fan. Hayao Miyazaki is my favorite director of all-time, animated film or otherwise.

Peppers90 on the sig.
VikeADunn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's your favorite Miyazaki film? Mine's Princess Mononoke

TheOsprey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VikeADunn wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:
VikeADunn wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:

I thought it started to fizzle out after about an hour. Didn't like it.

Quote:
There was no justification for kidnapping 18 freaking children. Lot of the kids were taken from parents who weren't physically shown to neglectful or abusive, but just poor. Great men and women have arisen from poor circumstances. No justification at all.

Oh and being willing to pay for a child that you KNOW has been kidnapped, doesn't make you good candidate to be a parent.

Spoiler:
Quote:
As for the 18 children, you really don't know what their circumstances were, because the film never went in depth about their lives. The only children whose lives were really dealt with were the boy that Jessica Biel's character had been holding and the young girl who asked to be taken. In their cases, the boy was living in extreme poverty where his mother had him living in an abandon hospital with no power and very little food and in the case of the girl, her mother was living with an abusive drunk, who presumably raped her daughter (the girl's sister) and impregnanted her. If you ask me, that is pretty extreme cases, where CPS could've been called in anyway. The other children who were kidnapped might have been in just as dire situations, we just don't know, because the film doesn't tell us.

I am assuming the new parents were vetted and the childen were given better lives and way more opportunities, that they would have never gotten otherwise. On top of that, we are shown that the new mother of he last girl does love her, because the girl says so. Personally, I believe too many people have kids now, that have no business being parents, for a myriad of reasons (born into poverty, addiction, violence, etc.), so I had no problem with the film's conclusion.
TheOsprey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleMugen wrote:
TheOsprey wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:
Apodrocks wrote:

The Shawshank Redemption
8MM
Se7en
Up
The Incredibles
Gone Baby Gone
In the Valley of Elah
Definitely, Maybe
Man on Fire
Zodiac

Nice to meet you, too. I have not previously heard of People Like Us; I'll give it a go. The premise intrigues me, as dramas are probably my favorite type of films.

I have seen some of the films on that list. I am a huge fan of Zodiac; superb acting, taut storytelling, bloodcurdling atmosphere. I also enjoyed Gone Baby Gone, which I found appealing because I felt Ben Affleck made the right decision in telling a simple story well rather than a complex one poorly. Se7en was an enjoyable watch but I think it's severely overrated.

I enjoyed The Incredibles and thought Up was terrible (alert the authorities, I know). I believe Up's director was the same person behind Monsters, Inc., a personal Pixar favorite of mine, so I was disappointed. As far as animated features go, I am a diehard Studio Ghibli fan. Hayao Miyazaki is my favorite director of all-time, animated film or otherwise.

While we may agree about many of the films on my list, we definitely disagree about the animated ones. I despise Japanese cartoons and anime. It creeps me out how every character in every film seems to be drawn the in the same style and the way the eyes are drawn gives me nightmares. The eyes look so evil and dead. They very well could have good stories to tell, but I just can't get past the look of the films. Laughing Welcome to the board, anyway.
VikeADunn

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing I didn't like the most in The Tall Man was the narration by that girl. It was TERRIBLE imo

There is one thing I liked about the ending though, and that is that it will cause a lot discussion on a very touchy subject (just like Gone Baby Gone). And I think that was one of the goals of the director

PurpleMugen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheOsprey wrote:
PurpleMugen wrote:

While we may agree about many of the films on my list, we definitely disagree about the animated ones. I despise Japanese cartoons and anime. It creeps me out how every character in every film seems to be drawn the in the same style and the way the eyes are drawn gives me nightmares. The eyes look so evil and dead. They very well could have good stories to tell, but I just can't get past the look of the films. Laughing Welcome to the board, anyway.

That's unfortunate! The primary reason I prefer anime to Western animation by far is that Japanese animated features are significantly more willing to tackle mature issues and adult themes. I do hope you will some day be willing to look past the style of animation to savor what is underneath the veneer. There are plenty of places to start, if you would like a recommendation, I would be glad to help.

Peppers90 on the sig.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 75 of 100

Jump to: