Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Pacific Pro Football League offers Alternative to College
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
KC=SB 42


Joined: 13 Feb 2007
Posts: 1102
Location: Delaware/Maryland
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Pacific Pro Football League offers Alternative to College Reply with quote

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2017/01/11/pacific-pro-football-league-developmental-college-ed-mccaffrey/96416744/

This is very interesting and im curious to see how this plays out. Offering 50 grand a year to play and devleop for those not interested in school. Who knows if it actually pans out though.
_________________


BenderRodriguez on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ramssuperbowl99


Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Posts: 33760
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

itshappening.gif

About time these kids start getting paid. If this league takes off even a little bit, the NCAA is going to have a real competitor and they'll adjust the compensation accordingly.
_________________

Title Town USA wrote:
Don't question Rams. He runs this place. He is The Man.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KC=SB 42


Joined: 13 Feb 2007
Posts: 1102
Location: Delaware/Maryland
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramssuperbowl99 wrote:
itshappening.gif

About time these kids start getting paid. If this league takes off even a little bit, the NCAA is going to have a real competitor and they'll adjust the compensation accordingly.


Then MAYBE we can get some damn NCAA football games back on next gen consoles Pray
_________________


BenderRodriguez on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
THE DUKE


Joined: 28 Feb 2005
Posts: 17458
Location: Centerville, OH
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after 3 years, what are the ones who think they are good enough for the NFL and aren't going to do? Or their ones who have career ending injuries? Now they have no education, and no future prospects.
_________________

-There are no men like me, only me.
-"Our life is what our thoughts make it" - Marcus Aurelius
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ramssuperbowl99


Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Posts: 33760
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE DUKE wrote:
So after 3 years, what are the ones who think they are good enough for the NFL and aren't going to do? Or their ones who have career ending injuries? Now they have no education, and no future prospects.
Community college, trade school, coaching, etc.

It's better to be those guys with a little cash in your pocket than to be the guy who gets processed by Butch Jones or Saban. And it's really not that different than most kids who take joke classes and get a basically worthless degree in African-American studies, general studies, or whatever joke major your coach pushed you into (if you even are on track to graduate, which, for 40+% of athletes, isn't the case).
_________________

Title Town USA wrote:
Don't question Rams. He runs this place. He is The Man.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PAW


Joined: 14 Dec 2015
Posts: 648
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

50k is nowhere near enough for the league to get anywhere.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
buno67


Joined: 15 Mar 2007
Posts: 38952
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not gonna work out.

Just gonna feel bad for players who actually thought this was a good idea, go get that little bit of cash for, and then they watch the league just crumble, and now they cant go play any where else except for the jokes of those semi-pro leagues and semi-arena that you pay to be a part of.

Gonna see a future Mike Williams and Mo Clarett down the road. Guys that if they would of just stayed in school, prolly would of had legit pro careers.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jeezy Fanatic


Joined: 29 Mar 2007
Posts: 25841
Location: The DMV; Proud Alumnus of the University of Miami, Class of 2011
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get paid more to go to Ole Miss than this new pro league.
_________________


chauboy wrote:
Then there was 1 group of girls that were just standing against of wall, the group being hot, just texting. Just intimidating.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
JTagg7754


Joined: 09 Nov 2010
Posts: 15106
Location: Somewhere in Ohio
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is pretty interesting. You would still have to adhere to the NFL's rule that you must be 3 years removed from HS before joining pros but you could at least make a decent living w/ that money until then especially if you have the ability to live w/ your parents still. That's a TON of money if that's the case.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ramssuperbowl99


Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Posts: 33760
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buno67 wrote:
not gonna work out.

Just gonna feel bad for players who actually thought this was a good idea, go get that little bit of cash for, and then they watch the league just crumble, and now they cant go play any where else except for the jokes of those semi-pro leagues and semi-arena that you pay to be a part of.

Gonna see a future Mike Williams and Mo Clarett down the road. Guys that if they would of just stayed in school, prolly would of had legit pro careers.
That's going to be the biggest challenge of this league. In order to recruit HS kids effectively like a top college, they basically need to show enough financial stability for 3 years so kids aren't worrying about the league going under while they're in it and enough competition that their NFL draft stock won't change.

I think the smarter group to go after are kids like Fournette or Clowney as underclassmen who have already proven themselves. Because with those guys, the ad revenue they'd be able to get would be much more than $50k salary+benefits, so now they're out of financial competition from shadow boosters. They'd also not have to worry about going to classes, could always go back to school and get their degree at a slower pace if they wanted, wouldn't have as demanding a workload, etc.

So if I'm these guys, the top of my wish list is Ed Oliver.
_________________

Title Town USA wrote:
Don't question Rams. He runs this place. He is The Man.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
IDOG_det


Moderator
Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 36022
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE DUKE wrote:
So after 3 years, what are the ones who think they are good enough for the NFL and aren't going to do? Or their ones who have career ending injuries? Now they have no education, and no future prospects.
Players who get injured get workmans comp because, you know, they're employees. The league also runs in the summer so they absolutely could get an education in that time. Worst case they could get the gen ed credits done at a community college and start working towards a real degree at a 4-year university
_________________

"Strength is meaningless in o-line play if there is no explosive, or speed-strength, quality to the strength."
- LeCharles Bentley

R.I.P. Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RollEagles


Joined: 10 Jan 2012
Posts: 11979
Location: Boston, MA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramssuperbowl99 wrote:
THE DUKE wrote:
So after 3 years, what are the ones who think they are good enough for the NFL and aren't going to do? Or their ones who have career ending injuries? Now they have no education, and no future prospects.
Community college, trade school, coaching, etc.

It's better to be those guys with a little cash in your pocket than to be the guy who gets processed by Butch Jones or Saban. And it's really not that different than most kids who take joke classes and get a basically worthless degree in African-American studies, general studies, or whatever joke major your coach pushed you into (if you even are on track to graduate, which, for 40+% of athletes, isn't the case).

This is the only part of your argument I always disagree with. I agree that players should get compensated and especially should be allowed to make money off themselves.

But the argument that they are taking joke classes and get a worthless degree doesn't make sense.

They register for classes. They have every chance to pick the classes they want. They have the opportunity to major in whatever they want. If they miss out on the opportunity to get a worthwhile degree, that is on them. If a coach really pushes that, whatever. You don't have to listen to what major they are suggesting you take.

And the idea they don't have enough time also doesn't resonate with me. If someone wants to go to med school or law school or pursue any competitive graduate school degree, you're going to spend a lot of time in internships, research opportunities, extracurriculars, etc. And on top of all that, the players get tutors for free.

End of the day, these guys have every opportunity to make the most of their education. Failing to do so is a choice they make.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NewAge


Joined: 01 Sep 2014
Posts: 17615
Location: el ramster on the sig
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ramssuperbowl99 wrote:
itshappening.gif

About time these kids start getting paid. If this league takes off even a little bit, the NCAA is going to have a real competitor and they'll adjust the compensation accordingly.

Yep. It's going to serve the role of the USFL/WHA/ABA.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MookieMonster


Joined: 17 Jun 2016
Posts: 1677
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RollEagles wrote:
ramssuperbowl99 wrote:
THE DUKE wrote:
So after 3 years, what are the ones who think they are good enough for the NFL and aren't going to do? Or their ones who have career ending injuries? Now they have no education, and no future prospects.
Community college, trade school, coaching, etc.

It's better to be those guys with a little cash in your pocket than to be the guy who gets processed by Butch Jones or Saban. And it's really not that different than most kids who take joke classes and get a basically worthless degree in African-American studies, general studies, or whatever joke major your coach pushed you into (if you even are on track to graduate, which, for 40+% of athletes, isn't the case).

This is the only part of your argument I always disagree with. I agree that players should get compensated and especially should be allowed to make money off themselves.

But the argument that they are taking joke classes and get a worthless degree doesn't make sense.

They register for classes. They have every chance to pick the classes they want. They have the opportunity to major in whatever they want. If they miss out on the opportunity to get a worthwhile degree, that is on them. If a coach really pushes that, whatever. You don't have to listen to what major they are suggesting you take.

And the idea they don't have enough time also doesn't resonate with me. If someone wants to go to med school or law school or pursue any competitive graduate school degree, you're going to spend a lot of time in internships, research opportunities, extracurriculars, etc. And on top of all that, the players get tutors for free.

End of the day, these guys have every opportunity to make the most of their education. Failing to do so is a choice they make.

Absolutely. Football players are certainly more busy than the average student, but they have endless amounts of resources to help them succeed in class and to be honest its not much different than the MANY college students who work 30+ hours a week while attending class full time.

I don't feel bad for college athletes who decide to major in African-American Studies or whatever. Thats a choice they made.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jrry32


Joined: 04 Jan 2011
Posts: 66042
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RollEagles wrote:
ramssuperbowl99 wrote:
THE DUKE wrote:
So after 3 years, what are the ones who think they are good enough for the NFL and aren't going to do? Or their ones who have career ending injuries? Now they have no education, and no future prospects.
Community college, trade school, coaching, etc.

It's better to be those guys with a little cash in your pocket than to be the guy who gets processed by Butch Jones or Saban. And it's really not that different than most kids who take joke classes and get a basically worthless degree in African-American studies, general studies, or whatever joke major your coach pushed you into (if you even are on track to graduate, which, for 40+% of athletes, isn't the case).

This is the only part of your argument I always disagree with. I agree that players should get compensated and especially should be allowed to make money off themselves.

But the argument that they are taking joke classes and get a worthless degree doesn't make sense.

They register for classes. They have every chance to pick the classes they want. They have the opportunity to major in whatever they want. If they miss out on the opportunity to get a worthwhile degree, that is on them. If a coach really pushes that, whatever. You don't have to listen to what major they are suggesting you take.

And the idea they don't have enough time also doesn't resonate with me. If someone wants to go to med school or law school or pursue any competitive graduate school degree, you're going to spend a lot of time in internships, research opportunities, extracurriculars, etc. And on top of all that, the players get tutors for free.

End of the day, these guys have every opportunity to make the most of their education. Failing to do so is a choice they make.


Not really. The choice is made for a lot of these guys. Not that the majority of them care.
_________________
KingBishop wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
Jarvis looked like a slug on and off the field.

Off the field? Like when he is grocery shopping, does he block the freezer aisle with his sluggish selection of which hungry man to buy?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group