Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Hot Seat - Norv Turner's 2012 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
I want nothing more than for Norv to be fired and come back to be our OC forever and ever and ever and ever.

Whats the chances of that happening?

The him being fired part will happen sooner or later. This year if the team doesn't make the playoff and at least have a strong performance.

I could easily see him landing another job, as OC or QB coach, after his time here.
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am probably only a defensive player of the week award from wanting Pagano to take over as head coach...

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
I am probably only a defensive player of the week award from wanting Pagano to take over as head coach...

Only reason I worry about that is that it takes more than a year to truly get a defensive system in place such that a new play-caller can step in and have success operating the same system (see Baltimore). Asking a freshman HC to also hold down the reins as the primary defensive playcaller is asking quite a bit (it's naive to assume that every HC can be a Sean Payton and wear both hats right out the gate).

I'd almost rather a new HC with ties to Pagano, such that John is retained as DC (and made Asst. HC). One of the things we've complained about in the past with Norv is that the quality of his coaching for the entire team suffers because of the time that's being put in running the offense.

Not sure what the optimal outcome would be in this instnace, just kind of spitballing and thinking out loud at the same time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LBC wrote:
Boltstrikes wrote:

Only reason I worry about that is that it takes more than a year to truly get a defensive system in place such that a new play-caller can step in and have success operating the same system (see Baltimore). Asking a freshman HC to also hold down the reins as the primary defensive playcaller is asking quite a bit (it's naive to assume that every HC can be a Sean Payton and wear both hats right out the gate).

I'd almost rather a new HC with ties to Pagano, such that John is retained as DC (and made Asst. HC). One of the things we've complained about in the past with Norv is that the quality of his coaching for the entire team suffers because of the time that's being put in running the offense.

Not sure what the optimal outcome would be in this instnace, just kind of spitballing and thinking out loud at the same time.

Anyone else interested in Bissaccia as a HC candidate. He seems like he'd be an awesome HC, just with his attitude and intensity, and he definitly knows the game.

Would still like to see Chud get the HC job if we want to keep Pagano at DC, since he can take hold of the O like Norv did previously.

Bolt Up Comrades!

MrDrew wrote:
Everything about Rivers is Awkward, reminiscent of a Giraffe with Down's Syndrome
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was disguisted by the way our offense was ran in the 2nd half last night. A lot of people are going to point the finger at the secondary, and while they are bad, the Saints have an explosive offense that will get the yards and points in the air. The play of the defense was good enough to win. But the 2nd half offense mustered only 7 points, all of which came on basically a freebie off the interception. The play calling and execution by the offense in the second half really cost this team the win.

I feel Norv threw everything he had at the Saints in the first half, most of which worked, then just clammed up and forgot how to call an offense in the 2nd half. How many rushes did Mathews get after the TD? Less than 5? How many down the field attack the secondary throws did we try in the second half before the final drive? I can't remember any. The OL fell apart in the 2nd half, Rivers and Norv seemingly lost their killer instinct, and the team just took a 180.

There was so much to be excited about in the first half on offense. Meacham, Floyd, Mathews all playing so well. But the coaching staff really let me down after the Chargers took the 10 point lead. Norv's biggest fault all these years has probably been his lack of finishing off a team, and last night is a prime example of why it is not acceptable.
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonioGates wrote:
I was disguisted by the way our offense was ran in the 2nd half last night. A lot of people are going to point the finger at the secondary, and while they are bad, the Saints have an explosive offense that will get the yards and points in the air. The play of the defense was good enough to win. But the 2nd half offense mustered only 7 points, all of which came on basically a freebie off the interception. The play calling and execution by the offense in the second half really cost this team the win.

I feel Norv threw everything he had at the Saints in the first half, most of which worked, then just clammed up and forgot how to call an offense in the 2nd half. How many rushes did Mathews get after the TD? Less than 5? How many down the field attack the secondary throws did we try in the second half before the final drive? I can't remember any. The OL fell apart in the 2nd half, Rivers and Norv seemingly lost their killer instinct, and the team just took a 180.

There was so much to be excited about in the first half on offense. Meacham, Floyd, Mathews all playing so well. But the coaching staff really let me down after the Chargers took the 10 point lead. Norv's biggest fault all these years has probably been his lack of finishing off a team, and last night is a prime example of why it is not acceptable.

Sounds like the same complaints we all had before Norv got the job.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
charger-man

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
AntonioGates wrote:

The difference is that we know Norv knows how to call an offense, unlike Marty who stuck to running the ball up the gut. Our team just does not have the killer instinct. Not surprising considering who our coach is.
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrDrew wrote:
AntonioGates wrote:

I'm not a Marty guy. Supported the decision to fire him.

Mike Riley was our best coach last decade Razz
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing I want to say, I'm not sure if here is the best place or not, is this whole Ryan Mathews fumble thing is being blown way out of proportion.

I'm hearing people say even after his performance the reason he was not getting more carries was because he fumbles. I can guarantee that since last year Rivers has had more turnovers per pass play than Mathews has had per touch. Should we bench Rivers on the goal line? Should we only let him play when the team is up big? Ryan Mathews had a bad fumble this year, but I find it ridiculous he can do no good for the rest of the year because of that one play in the eyes of some fans and maybe even in some coaches.

Start him. Give him 20-25 carries. In the redzone, on the 50 or on our own 1. If he fumbles, that sucks, but Rivers is averaging 2 turnovers a game lately so I don't see that as an excuse. Can anyone tell me he isn't the best player with the ball in his hands?
MrDrew

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonioGates wrote:
Another thing I want to say, I'm not sure if here is the best place or not, is this whole Ryan Mathews fumble thing is being blown way out of proportion.

I'm hearing people say even after his performance the reason he was not getting more carries was because he fumbles. I can guarantee that since last year Rivers has had more turnovers per pass play than Mathews has had per touch. Should we bench Rivers on the goal line? Should we only let him play when the team is up big? Ryan Mathews had a bad fumble this year, but I find it ridiculous he can do no good for the rest of the year because of that one play in the eyes of some fans and maybe even in some coaches.

Start him. Give him 20-25 carries. In the redzone, on the 50 or on our own 1. If he fumbles, that sucks, but Rivers is averaging 2 turnovers a game lately so I don't see that as an excuse. Can anyone tell me he isn't the best player with the ball in his hands?

The more carries he get the more the D is going to try and rip it out. Sine he refuses to cover the ball with two hands, it's going to happen a lot more. I actually get nervous every carry that he gets near the D. Until he figures it out, he's more of a liability than an asset.

"I am a leaf on the wind... Watch how I soar"
AntonioGates

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to back weeks the team looked completely lost out there in the 2nd half. You think Norv and all the players were watching the baseball game during halftime?

Rivers' play sickens me too. But I think he should get another shot with a new head coach and a new right tackle.
Charged UP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you blow that lead? Down with the Turkey
Boltstrikes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntonioGates wrote:
Back to back weeks the team looked completely lost out there in the 2nd half. You think Norv and all the players were watching the baseball game during halftime?

Rivers' play sickens me too. But I think he should get another shot with a new head coach and a new right tackle.

Rivers goes no where. With the extension he signed we are married for at least 2 more seasons. I am not saying he gets a free pass but we just can't afford to cut him. Gaither's deal is a indictment on this whole regime.

New coach and a GM that places value on healthy productive football players. We have below average starters in our secondary and offensive line and the "depth" is laughable at best.

EverythingSF wrote:
But I do feel Alex is better than Rivers and we may as well not even argue over it here because I am pretty sure neither will change the others mind.
The LBC

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boltstrikes wrote:
AntonioGates wrote:

Rivers goes no where. With the extension he signed we are married for at least 2 more seasons. I am not saying he gets a free pass but we just can't afford to cut him. Gaither's deal is a indictment on this whole regime.

New coach and a GM that places value on healthy productive football players. We have below average starters in our secondary and offensive line and the "depth" is laughable at best.

I've been questioning it for several weeks this season, and it was a spark that started at times last season, but I'm pretty much sold now that Norv's system just doesn't fit Rivers' skill-set.

Does he throw a pretty-to-look-at deep ball? Yes. Has he demonstrated the kind of quality under pressure decision-making to get consistent results out of that deep ball? Hell no. Norv's offense isn't even really a faithful reproduction of the Air Coryell scheme; in fact, Norv's scheme, as history indicates pretty well, is only consistently productive (as in producing points and minimizing turnovers against schedules that aren't cakewalks) when it is accompanied by a dominant OL (look at the future HOF's that were on that Dallas line).

Is it really any surprise when you sit down and think about it that Rivers' decision-making has regressed horribly as he's been placed in a consistent situation where he has, at best, 1-2 seconds outside of his dropback in which make his read and decision AND get the ball out?

I doubt it's the case, but I'm almost to the point of hoping that tonight's collapse was the start of the team giving up on Norv. It may be the only way to get the writing on the wall clear enough that the nincompoop Spanos finally gives us a proper FO and Coaching Staff (and maybe even a training staff that isn't a bunch of crooks, if that's not asking too much).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norvacated wrote:
Public Service Announcment:

This team is infected with Norvitis! Norvitis is a debilitating disease, but we have learned so much about Norvitis over the last 5 Years. Here is the update:

Unfortunately there is no cure for Norvitis although it is treatable. Norvitis is caused by continual high stress environments which leads to a weak spine ownership to abruptly replace a 14-2 head coach with this known carrier of Norvitis. Norvitis excretes a virus that quickly migrates into the heart of a football team. Once infected, the entire organization is prone to its effect of Norvacain.
Pronunciation: NOR-VA-CAIN

Norvacain has a very similar effect as Novacain. It is fast acting motivation inhibitor that blocks the body’s ability to stay motivated for more than two quarters of football. Its compounding effects then leads to undisciplined, passive, unmotivated play, lack of focus and intensity, fatigue, playing under players potential, demise of leadership, breakdown of the team unit, loss of team character, emotionless and unprepared game planning, becoming injury prone.

Team Captains will attempt to call team meetings in an effort to bolster the troops in an effort to ward off this invasion, however, continued exposure to the Norvacain effect soon proves fatal to the Team chemistry and players frustration soon begin to fester.

The long term effect is that usually one season of Norvacain could potentially be dangerous to the health of the team by disabling the team for the duration of any football Championship window.

Early warning signs are slow starts at the beginning of the season, complete breakdown of one or more playing units lasting more than six games before appropriate action is taken, horrendous preseasons, numerous TV Black-outs, quick exiting of Probowl caliber players, and the firing of scapegoat coaches!

Fans are also at risk of exposure by literally watching their team transition from being a perennial Championship team to a team best remembered for playing at a Chula Vista Waterpark, and losing to the Broncos 35-24. Fans infected with Norvitis will experience different Norvacated side affects such as:

Loss of Appetite, Using Alcohol or other self medications to dull the pain, high blood Pressure, breathing problems; chest pain; frustration, depression lasting days to lasting for multiple seasons. Fans soon become delusional as well by thoughts that even with Norvitis, there is still possibilities of overcoming this virus and be very productive in the play-offs, or that perhaps the virus will dissipate over time.

Historically, several teams were able to overcome this disease by a radical procedure known as Norvcolostomy! This invasive procedure reroutes the NorvTVirus carrier from the team premises. Unfortunately it is a very costly procedure that in most cases is outside the financial commitments of the ownership. Those ownership who choose to decline this procedure are relying on a delusional fan base to continue to support them with their hard earned dollars! Unfortunately in most cases this just leads to many more Black-outs, and boycotts until the virus is removed.

For more information go to
http://www.chargers.com

Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> San Diego Chargers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: