Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Anything (Non-Lions) Thread: Read The Rules Edition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 102, 103, 104  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigers rotation announced: Verlander, Fister, Sanchez, Scherzer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:

On paper, that's really good. Hopefully we get Good Sanchez and not Bad Sanchez. He's had a few games this year where he's made it virtually impossible for the Tigers to win.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:

On paper, that's really good. Hopefully we get Good Sanchez and not Bad Sanchez. He's had a few games this year where he's made it virtually impossible for the Tigers to win.

But not any recently. Sanchez and Scherzer are a huge part of why we were able to claw back. They have both been lights out over the last couple months.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
2005 Bonneville that will sell for 7500-11000 and is entering its expensive repair years.

I wanted to address this. I don't think everyone thinks this through completely and logically. Mind you this is coming from the perspective ofa mechanic too though. I will use the example I already gave of the new DUMB car and the 2000 Bonneville(3800 engine, important because if you get a used car it is important to get one of the good ones and a 3800 is one of the best out there)

The difference in price is ~$20000. So the Bonneville would have to have $333/mo in repair bills to catch up in cost of the DUMB car in 5 years. During that 5 years, the DUMB car has lost half its' value, meanwhile the average person has put ~100k miles on the Bonneville and you likely could sell it at or near what you got it for. So the Bonneville would STILL come out ahead, even with an astounding $333/mo in repair bills, which I think we can all agree would be a wildly liberal estimate. You also did not require full coverage during this time, saving a ton in insurance costs.

In this example, the Bonneville has not broken down at all. The brakes haven't even needed to be done(about due) The vehicle was bought in 2007 with 65k miles on it. Conversely the DUMB car was bought in 2009, has been driven sparingly(almost half as much as the Pontiac), has been in the shop twice, and as always seems to happen the dealer was able to make some kind of excuse not to cover all costs under warranty.

I do understand people want the warranty and the stability that comes with it. And I am a bit biased as the type of person that has changed his transmission on the side of the expressway on the spot before. But I do believe people need to think it through a bit. How much is that warranty really worth to you? Sometimes it is just better to get the better made car, even if it is a few years old it may last longer.
stylish313

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had an issue with my warranty not being honored, and I used to only buy 2-3 yr old vehicles. The warranty is essential to a person who works everyday and cannot afford time off.

I now own two new cars, but I realize it's not necessary to buy brand new. I was fine with my prior model, just so long as I was protected through warranty. I've had to use it plenty, and I'd never be without it.
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
I have never had an issue with my warranty not being honored, and I used to only buy 2-3 yr old vehicles. The warranty is essential to a person who works everyday and cannot afford time off.

I now own two new cars, but I realize it's not necessary to buy brand new. I was fine with my prior model, just so long as I was protected through warranty. I've had to use it plenty, and I'd never be without it.

And still. (I do love your car) You could buy and have 4 used cars and still save a ton of money over your new one. And if one broke down, you just drive the next one until it is fixed. I have always been in a 8-10 car family. Often more around, we usually drove around customer cars as a test drive to save miles on ours Very Happy

I have 4 cars right now ranging from 60k miles to 288k. The 2 I would trust most on a long trip are 1.) 288k(1997 Tahoe) and 2.) 190k(2001 Silverado)
LionsFTW

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
stylish313 wrote:

And still. (I do love your car) You could buy and have 4 used cars and still save a ton of money over your new one. And if one broke down, you just drive the next one until it is fixed. I have always been in a 8-10 car family. Often more around, we usually drove around customer cars as a test drive to save miles on ours Very Happy

I have 4 cars right now ranging from 60k miles to 288k. The 2 I would trust most on a long trip are 1.) 288k(1997 Tahoe) and 2.) 190k(2001 Silverado)

Yet you still needed a ride to and from both LionGates. Laughing
LionsFan630

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Game 2 of the Tigers-Athletics series is televised on MLB Network....great.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
stylish313 wrote:

Yet you still needed a ride to and from both LionGates. Laughing

No license. No money to insure the cars right now. We are living off the wife's disability. $8000/yr don't go very far.

I did finally get through my insurance red tape though and got a new doctor and to a neurologist. I have had an MRI, upper EMG, and have a lower EMG next week. Hopefully they can get me patched together to get back to work. I have days I can't even make it up the stairs to my second floor apt now. It sucks.
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a new Hyundai last year and am glad I did. It's got great features and gets great gas mileage. I thought about buying a used car but when I looked at it, I was getting better value out of the new car. (However I got 2k off sticker because it had 500 test drive miles on it). It's nice to have something new and yours if it is possible. I'm assuming you we're going to pay cash for a used car so if you use that as a down payment, you likely can get your monthly payment in the 120-150 range. Used cars are better value for right now, but if your looking at buying a used car that is 4 or less years old, you might as well buy new. A lot of upgrades and perks have been added to cars over the last 4 years such as blue tooth phone connect, blue tooth music from your phone or iPod, GPS, back up cameras..... All not really necessary, but they definitely add to the value and comfort.

detfan782004

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer peace of mind with cars. I will trade in my cars when the mileage gets high and get a new one. I dont need my family stranded on road when I am away on duty. Sometimes it costs more but you pay for peace of mind.

My wife's car is about to get traded in because its 2007 approaching 100,000. Some think it is dumb but given my hours of work and where I go I want to know they will make it home nightly.

I will probably trade my truck in simply to get something better now. Not because it is too old.

My son's car is the only beater on the streets because he is learning to drive. Plus wife can go pick him up if it breaks down and I will have it towed to junk yard and get a different one.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
A lot of upgrades and perks have been added to cars over the last 4 years such as blue tooth phone connect, blue tooth music from your phone or iPod, GPS, back up cameras..... All not really necessary, but they definitely add to the value and comfort.

I can get on board with this. For me, it isn't worth it though. Heck, I don't even own an iPod. Still stuck in the dark ages....I burn CDs Laughing

I remember buying music on vinyl and now burning CDs is outdated. Ugh.

I have always been drawn to Buicks and Cadillacs though because of the creature comforts they offer so I understand peoples want of such things. Just not worth it to me. The most I have EVER paid for a car was $2000, and that was a showroom condition Cadillac DeVille.
stylish313

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my son, but he stole my Challenger from me Mad Laughing
Detroitlions703

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:

wait, so its not even going to be televised in metro detroit on regular tv?
Hahaha. This team does not belong here
Mods, take care of this troll or I will.

Hold on mods. I wanna see where this goes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Detroitlions703 wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:

wait, so its not even going to be televised in metro detroit on regular tv?

That's the only game on the schedule for the entire playoffs not on TBS or Fox. That will make me angry if I can't watch it.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 93, 94, 95 ... 102, 103, 104  Next
Page 94 of 104

Jump to: