Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rest of the NFL Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
lomaxgr


Joined: 30 Dec 2006
Posts: 21208
Location: Manchester, England
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:41 am    Post subject: Rest of the NFL Thread Reply with quote

I thought I would create this so we could be a bit more specific with our thoughts, rather than using the Random thoughts thread.

I guess the first bit of news from the AFC West is the Ryan Mathews injury. Bummer for SD, and although nobody likes seeing injuries, the Raiders must be secretly more confident now for their Week 1 game.

I am just watching the Chiefs game from last night, and our boys better be ready to man up for our games against the Chiefs. I bet their running game will be as good as any team in the NFL next year.
_________________


MUFC OK


Last edited by lomaxgr on Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BroncoinGermany


Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 2491
Location: Bad Nauheim
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Rest of the NFL Preaseason Thread Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
I thought I would create this so we could be a bit more specific with our thoughts, rather than using the Random thoughts thread.

I guess the first bit of news from the AFC West is the Ryan Mathews injury. Bummer for SD, and although nobody likes seeing injuries, the Raiders must be secretly more confident now for their Week 1 game.

I am just watching the Chiefs game from last night, and our boys better be ready to man up for our games against the Chiefs. I bet their running game will be as good as any team in the NFL next year.


I only watched the highlights, but one could already assume that the Chiefs would be highly improved coming into this season. The one thing which might - rather WILL - hold them back is Cassel. Having Bowe back at the facility would help, too, but he has been inconsistent as well. Other than that, they can compete with anybody in the West. Hillis, Charles and McCluster along with that OL- Daboll surely can work with this unit.

I feel bad for the Cardinals though. Besides the few years under Warner, their QB issues really have hampered Fitz's career along with that the emergence of a team with an underrated and young defense.

Oh, and Tebow. I am glad I don't have to watch him in Orange and Blue anymore. Some parts of his game allow one to hope for a brighter tomorrow simply due to fascination with his style of play. And then one is continually jolted out of one's dreams by reality.
_________________

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AntiSuperstar


Joined: 07 Oct 2007
Posts: 4444
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:08 am    Post subject: So I watched the Bills/Redskins game Reply with quote

While it's foolhardy to try to make judgements after one game, I will say that the Bills Defensive Line looked pretty good against the Redskins. Mark Anderson however was not a starter as some people apparently expected and even the broadcast falsely reported, the much better Chris Kelsay(who was very good in the 3-4 last year) was the starter opposite Mario.

The Redskins struggled to get movement against the Bills 1s in the running game and there was a Defensive Lineman or Linebacker immediately in the backfield on several plays. Maybe a move to 4-3 gap concepts has helped Kyle Williams because he looked more consistant out there getting push to me, and played quite well(or maybe it was the team he played). Both Williams and Dareus looked pretty interchangeable but Dareus seemed to be more suited for being lined up directly over Center as a nose. All of the Redskins interior lineman struggled at times but the Center Montgomery was routinely driven backwards.

In terms of pass rush the Bills didn't do as much, but the Redskins also didn't line up in a lot of ways that allowed for the team to line up very wide and have great pass rushing angles, and they left in extra blockers pretty often. In any case it's worth noting that the Redskins Center isn't all that great anyhow, and that both guard positions and Right Tackle consisted of backups(one of them, Polumbus, Broncos fans will know), not to mention TE Fred Davis isn't a great blocker and Chris Cooley is not exactly ideal at Fullback(also a backup there), so one could argue the Bills faced easy competition.

Also I would like to note that the Bills nickel defense(you can consider it a dime depending on how you look at it) is actually where I think NFL defenses should more aggressively be moving. The way they line up and everything seems pretty standard except for the fact that one of the "nickel linebackers" is actually a big Safety(Bryan Scott) while the other guy is an everydown LB. To me, this is a great use of a lot of these types of players. Like, it's ridiculous to me LaRon Landry isn't used in this way for example. In any case, the Bills Safety group of Jairus Byrd, George Wilson, and Bryan Scott is probably the best in the league.

As far as the Redskins defense goes, their pass rush looked good with Orkapo(which is probably a sign of the Bills LT not being good) and less so when he dropped into coverage. Orakpo looks like he's improved with his ability to drop into coverage a bit and the Redskins moved him around more than they normally would. The other new wrinkle is that they're trying to move DeAngelo Hall inside as a nickel corner in nickel situations. It doesn't seem like a bad idea(this might be Hall's primary role in the future) except for the fact that the outside corner replacement Cedric Griffin didn't look very good out there. In fact in general I would say the Redskins base defense looked much better than their sub-packages. While this observation is awfully, premature, not a good sign.

For the Redskins, Merriweather was used sort of like a Strong Safety who plays man coverage a lot, and didn't look bad, while it's interesting that Tanard Jackson at present is playing with the second team defense.

Special Teams until late in the game consisted mostly of the Bills beating the crap out of the Redskins(and they kicked the ball in the endzone everytime on kick returns, so I didn't get to see that unit), and the Redskins punter didn't have a good game. Not good signs.

The only thing I'll say about either team's offense is that the people in general forum who described Pierre Garcon as a one-dimensional deep threat are idiots. I have felt before it's false to label Mike Wallace as such because he is a capable after-the-catch threat on simple short and medium range routes but just based on the way he moved, Garcon looked not good but dynamic out there. I had no idea he could run like that. I'll be very curious to see him in more after-the-catch situations because if he's as good as he looks the Redskins might not be out of their minds to think he's potentially a #1 receiver. Garcon was actually the most impressive player of the game to me(which is interesting because the Redskins for whatever reason lined up all of their first string receiver very tight, not allowing them to be traditional deep threats in the way Marvin Harrison and Garcon were in Indy).
_________________
Stop slobbering over Brian Dawkins
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JRebar913


Joined: 11 Mar 2012
Posts: 989
Location: Kansas City
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wasnt impressed with the chiefs. it was the cardinals, even though its preseason. the cardinals are just not a good team. i think san diego is more of a threat than the chiefs. even without matthews, hasnt he missed the majority of his games anyway? and just to clarify, from what ive heard on the local sports stations, mccluster is going to be a slot wr, not working with their rb's
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JerseysFinest27


Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 8314
Location: New Jersey... Props to inDENguise on the sig
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Luck just came back on everybody's map. I'm not reading into a ton because it was against St. Louis' defense, but the kid clearly has the skills and intelligence to play in this league. I still like RGIII right now, long term.

Also, Russell Wilson put together one of the best QB performances of preseason so far. He proved to be everything I thought he was. I said in the offseason Id take him ahead of Tannehill and Weeden and hes showing the abilities, with a terrible supporting cast nonetheless. Im really excited for the kids future.


One more thing from the weekend games, you guys want to know my sleeper team this year? Buccaneers. Greg Schiano is going to get this team back to being a playoff team. I dont want to start the hype train but I think he can have the same impact that Tony Dungy had in Indy. Both defensive genius', taking over teams with pretty decent offenses already. My sleeper team.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BroncoinGermany


Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 2491
Location: Bad Nauheim
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Andrew Luck just came back on everybody's map. I'm not reading into a ton because it was against St. Louis' defense, but the kid clearly has the skills and intelligence to play in this league. I still like RGIII right now, long term.

Also, Russell Wilson put together one of the best QB performances of preseason so far. He proved to be everything I thought he was. I said in the offseason Id take him ahead of Tannehill and Weeden and hes showing the abilities, with a terrible supporting cast nonetheless. Im really excited for the kids future.


One more thing from the weekend games, you guys want to know my sleeper team this year? Buccaneers. Greg Schiano is going to get this team back to being a playoff team. I dont want to start the hype train but I think he can have the same impact that Tony Dungy had in Indy. Both defensive genius', taking over teams with pretty decent offenses already. My sleeper team.


I agree with most of it, although I have to mention one exception and one question:

Russell Wilson did play well in his first preseason game, and naturally, one always roots for the clever kid with a somewhat underappreciated skill set, in Wilson's case due to his size. Yet despite his NFL premier, which was almost as impressive as the games of Luck and RG3, one could notice that Seattle's offense was nearly completely overhauled once Wilson came into the game. They moved him out in space where he was more comfortable. However, this cannot be done regularly in the Pros. He has to figure out a way to read and sling it from the pocket more exstensively. Flynn for that manner I thought debuted pretty good.

The question is: Why do you expect Griffin III to be better long term in comparison to Luck?
_________________

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lomaxgr


Joined: 30 Dec 2006
Posts: 21208
Location: Manchester, England
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
I said in the offseason Id take him ahead of Tannehill and Weeden and hes showing the abilities, with a terrible supporting cast nonetheless. Im really excited for the kids future.


Wilson at least had Braylon Edwards to throw to. I would say Tannehill's and Weeden's supporting cast is actually worse. Weeden was going up against 1's too.

Meh, its preseason. Osweiler looked as good as Wilson did and he only threw it 3/4 times.
_________________


MUFC OK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JerseysFinest27


Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 8314
Location: New Jersey... Props to inDENguise on the sig
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Andrew Luck just came back on everybody's map. I'm not reading into a ton because it was against St. Louis' defense, but the kid clearly has the skills and intelligence to play in this league. I still like RGIII right now, long term.

Also, Russell Wilson put together one of the best QB performances of preseason so far. He proved to be everything I thought he was. I said in the offseason Id take him ahead of Tannehill and Weeden and hes showing the abilities, with a terrible supporting cast nonetheless. Im really excited for the kids future.


One more thing from the weekend games, you guys want to know my sleeper team this year? Buccaneers. Greg Schiano is going to get this team back to being a playoff team. I dont want to start the hype train but I think he can have the same impact that Tony Dungy had in Indy. Both defensive genius', taking over teams with pretty decent offenses already. My sleeper team.


I agree with most of it, although I have to mention one exception and one question:

Russell Wilson did play well in his first preseason game, and naturally, one always roots for the clever kid with a somewhat underappreciated skill set, in Wilson's case due to his size. Yet despite his NFL premier, which was almost as impressive as the games of Luck and RG3, one could notice that Seattle's offense was nearly completely overhauled once Wilson came into the game. They moved him out in space where he was more comfortable. However, this cannot be done regularly in the Pros. He has to figure out a way to read and sling it from the pocket more exstensively. Flynn for that manner I thought debuted pretty good.

The question is: Why do you expect Griffin III to be better long term in comparison to Luck?

I think that the way the NFL is progressing in terms of offense, RGIII's skillset before fits the future of the NFL. Much like how Cam Newton is, this is the new breed of NFL offenses. Dont get me wrong, Andrew Luck will likely have a very impressive career. I just think that RGIII's running abilities in support of his strong throwing abilities makes his future brighter.

I guess it just comes down to personal preference too. Do you want a guy that will move the chains constantly like Luck or the guy that has the big play ability on every play with his arm or legs?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
omegaxla49


Joined: 07 Feb 2012
Posts: 194
Location: Omaha, NE
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
BroncoinGermany wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Andrew Luck just came back on everybody's map. I'm not reading into a ton because it was against St. Louis' defense, but the kid clearly has the skills and intelligence to play in this league. I still like RGIII right now, long term.

Also, Russell Wilson put together one of the best QB performances of preseason so far. He proved to be everything I thought he was. I said in the offseason Id take him ahead of Tannehill and Weeden and hes showing the abilities, with a terrible supporting cast nonetheless. Im really excited for the kids future.


One more thing from the weekend games, you guys want to know my sleeper team this year? Buccaneers. Greg Schiano is going to get this team back to being a playoff team. I dont want to start the hype train but I think he can have the same impact that Tony Dungy had in Indy. Both defensive genius', taking over teams with pretty decent offenses already. My sleeper team.


I agree with most of it, although I have to mention one exception and one question:

Russell Wilson did play well in his first preseason game, and naturally, one always roots for the clever kid with a somewhat underappreciated skill set, in Wilson's case due to his size. Yet despite his NFL premier, which was almost as impressive as the games of Luck and RG3, one could notice that Seattle's offense was nearly completely overhauled once Wilson came into the game. They moved him out in space where he was more comfortable. However, this cannot be done regularly in the Pros. He has to figure out a way to read and sling it from the pocket more exstensively. Flynn for that manner I thought debuted pretty good.

The question is: Why do you expect Griffin III to be better long term in comparison to Luck?

I think that the way the NFL is progressing in terms of offense, RGIII's skillset before fits the future of the NFL. Much like how Cam Newton is, this is the new breed of NFL offenses. Dont get me wrong, Andrew Luck will likely have a very impressive career. I just think that RGIII's running abilities in support of his strong throwing abilities makes his future brighter.

I guess it just comes down to personal preference too. Do you want a guy that will move the chains constantly like Luck or the guy that has the big play ability on every play with his arm or legs?


Well Luck can move the chains with his legs if need be. I'm not saying he's anywhere near Cam or RG3 (albeit Cam still needs to prove he can do this the NFL is about consistency not one good year, and RG3 is still a rookie) but he'll run if he has to to get a first down. I look at Luck as a Aaron Rodgers type who can scramble but prefers to stay in the pocket and throw.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JerseysFinest27


Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 8314
Location: New Jersey... Props to inDENguise on the sig
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omegaxla49 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
BroncoinGermany wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Andrew Luck just came back on everybody's map. I'm not reading into a ton because it was against St. Louis' defense, but the kid clearly has the skills and intelligence to play in this league. I still like RGIII right now, long term.

Also, Russell Wilson put together one of the best QB performances of preseason so far. He proved to be everything I thought he was. I said in the offseason Id take him ahead of Tannehill and Weeden and hes showing the abilities, with a terrible supporting cast nonetheless. Im really excited for the kids future.


One more thing from the weekend games, you guys want to know my sleeper team this year? Buccaneers. Greg Schiano is going to get this team back to being a playoff team. I dont want to start the hype train but I think he can have the same impact that Tony Dungy had in Indy. Both defensive genius', taking over teams with pretty decent offenses already. My sleeper team.


I agree with most of it, although I have to mention one exception and one question:

Russell Wilson did play well in his first preseason game, and naturally, one always roots for the clever kid with a somewhat underappreciated skill set, in Wilson's case due to his size. Yet despite his NFL premier, which was almost as impressive as the games of Luck and RG3, one could notice that Seattle's offense was nearly completely overhauled once Wilson came into the game. They moved him out in space where he was more comfortable. However, this cannot be done regularly in the Pros. He has to figure out a way to read and sling it from the pocket more exstensively. Flynn for that manner I thought debuted pretty good.

The question is: Why do you expect Griffin III to be better long term in comparison to Luck?

I think that the way the NFL is progressing in terms of offense, RGIII's skillset before fits the future of the NFL. Much like how Cam Newton is, this is the new breed of NFL offenses. Dont get me wrong, Andrew Luck will likely have a very impressive career. I just think that RGIII's running abilities in support of his strong throwing abilities makes his future brighter.

I guess it just comes down to personal preference too. Do you want a guy that will move the chains constantly like Luck or the guy that has the big play ability on every play with his arm or legs?


Well Luck can move the chains with his legs if need be. I'm not saying he's anywhere near Cam or RG3 (albeit Cam still needs to prove he can do this the NFL is about consistency not one good year, and RG3 is still a rookie) but he'll run if he has to to get a first down. I look at Luck as a Aaron Rodgers type who can scramble but prefers to stay in the pocket and throw.

The only part of Lucks game that resembles Rodgers is that they both throw the ball with their right arm.

Andrew Luck is very similar to Peyton Manning when he entered the league. Both are very intelligent and understand where to go with the football when they are asked. They can read defenses very well and take care of the football.

Aaron Rodgers arm is quicker and stronger than both Manning and Luck. Physically hes better than both too. Manning and Luck will get away more with their intelligence than their actual physical tools.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lomaxgr


Joined: 30 Dec 2006
Posts: 21208
Location: Manchester, England
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Luck is far, far more of an athlete than Peyton Manning ever was. Just because he passes from the pocket, doesn't mean he is Peyton Manning. I would go as far as to say he is more athletic than Aaron Rodgers.
_________________


MUFC OK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Russell2Bailey


Joined: 20 Mar 2008
Posts: 12905
Location: Where I will, I'll roam.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peyton Manning is a poor man's R2B.



/thread
_________________
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
BroncoinGermany


Joined: 09 Mar 2012
Posts: 2491
Location: Bad Nauheim
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell2Bailey wrote:
Peyton Manning is a poor man's R2B.



/thread


Nice! Laughing
_________________

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AnAngryAmerican


Joined: 23 Apr 2006
Posts: 18547
Location: Loveland, CO
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
Andrew Luck is far, far more of an athlete than Peyton Manning ever was. Just because he passes from the pocket, doesn't mean he is Peyton Manning. I would go as far as to say he is more athletic than Aaron Rodgers.

I agree. And I've been saying that since last year; the comparison for Luck is Rodgers not Manning, given his under-appreciated athleticism.
_________________
big_palooka:

Broncos CSU Rams Rockies Tiger Woods
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
JerseysFinest27


Joined: 07 Jan 2010
Posts: 8314
Location: New Jersey... Props to inDENguise on the sig
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
Andrew Luck is far, far more of an athlete than Peyton Manning ever was. Just because he passes from the pocket, doesn't mean he is Peyton Manning. I would go as far as to say he is more athletic than Aaron Rodgers.

See I disagree.

While I dont disagree Luck is more athletic than Manning, his still not even in the same sentence as Rodgers. Aaron Rodgers is an elite athlete when compared to Andrew Luck. Sure Luck has a little more bounce in his step and can even escape the pocket like mobile QB, he does not have the pure athleticism that Rodgers has. Everyones looking at Manning for what he is now, remember back in the late 90's and early 00's when he was moving more gingerly than the last 5-7 years.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 1 of 30

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group