Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Cundiff vs Tucker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who do you think will be the 2012 kicker?
Billy Cundiff
15%
 15%  [ 4 ]
Justin Tucker
84%
 84%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 26

RavensTillIDie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dcarey20 wrote:
Quote:
First off let me say welcome to the forums StevenV32! Secondly, I keep thinking you're DCarey20.. you both have the same avatar...

You are not alone my friend, I have started to read a post that I thought was mine just because I saw that avatar, only to get to the end and realize that it wasn't me, lol.

For a sec, I thought you and I could no longer be friends when I saw the Miami Heat sig. Laughing Razz

Matts4313 wrote:
Speaking of attacking kids
SnA ExclusiVe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read on Twitter either today or yesterday (can't remember if it was Aaron Wilson or the Official Ravens) that said Dean Peas has "no apprehension of using a rookie kicker".

What exactly does that mean? Does that mean he's already set in his mind that Cundiff is going to be the kicker?

Also, from today's practice:

“@Ravens: Justin Tucker hits from 52 and 56 yards while Billy Cundiff missed both, wide right. One clanked off the post.”

Tucker is straight up beating out Cundiff for the job so if Peas says he has no apprehension of going with a rookie kicker, that just blows my mind.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
coordinator0

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean Rosburg, not Pees. Either way it's starting to look like Cundiff is falling behind in practices.
Boodgyman5220

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
I read on Twitter either today or yesterday (can't remember if it was Aaron Wilson or the Official Ravens) that said Dean Peas has "no apprehension of using a rookie kicker".

What exactly does that mean? Does that mean he's already set in his mind that Cundiff is going to be the kicker?

Also, from today's practice:

“@Ravens: Justin Tucker hits from 52 and 56 yards while Billy Cundiff missed both, wide right. One clanked off the post.”

Tucker is straight up beating out Cundiff for the job so if Peas says he has no apprehension of going with a rookie kicker, that just blows my mind.

by saying he has no apprehension means that he would have no problem using a rookie kicker or isn't afraid to have a rookie kicker.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
You mean Rosburg, not Pees. Either way it's starting to look like Cundiff is falling behind in practices.

Oops, my mistake, yes Rosburg.

And thanks for the clarification Boodgyman.

BlaqOptic wrote:
I'd say he's [Dennis Pitta] the fourth best TE in the division... Cameron > Miller > Gresham > Eiffert = Pitta
RavensfanRD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy...

What a difference a year(And one tremendously untimely fraud) makes! Laughing

I think somehow Cundiff wins it. Not majorly concerned because at the point of the game, I want touchdowns dammit. Keep your 3 points. I want sevens on the board!

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
jpeter15

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we end up keeping Cundiff and see how he does during the season, then if he struggles we can easily bring in Tucker without really missing a step. I think it is very unlikely we flat out cut Cundiff before the season even if Tucker beats him out in preseason.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpeter15 wrote:
I think we end up keeping Cundiff and see how he does during the season, then if he struggles we can easily bring in Tucker without really missing a step. I think it is very unlikely we flat out cut Cundiff before the season even if Tucker beats him out in preseason.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if we did. If Tucker shows he's the better man for the job, we'd save money under the cap by cutting Cundiff and could use it elsewhere. Then, if Tucker screws the pooch, I'm sure Cundiff will still be floating around to bring him in. If we let Tucker go, I wouldn't be surprised to see another team potentially scoop him up kinda like what happened with Hauschka.

I also read that in camp, Tucker is currently 82/97 (84.5%) whereas Cundiff is 74/89 (83%).

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow, no matter what decision we end up making, I just know I'm not going to feel very confident about it.

Either we go into this season with a rookie kicker or Billy Cundiff. Hell of a world we live in.
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.”
RavensfanRD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: Already posted

Ray Lewis wrote:
This it! This it, man! This is it! We goin' for a ring man!

Wise Old Man wrote:
Joe Flacco doesn't believe in miracles; miracles believe in Joe Flacco
jpeter15

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I think our best case scenario may be going MLB style and trading for a kicker from a non-contending team mid way through the season.

What would people give up for a competent kicker via trade? 4th round pick?
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You rarely see teams trade kickers, especially competent ones. A 4th round pick does seem about right but this isn't the MLB and next season those non-contending teams could make a quick turnaround and be in the playoffs. I don't think that's a realistic option at all.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
You rarely see teams trade kickers, especially competent ones. A 4th round pick does seem about right but this isn't the MLB and next season those non-contending teams could make a quick turnaround and be in the playoffs. I don't think that's a realistic option at all.

Exactly. While kickers aren't "valuable" in terms of trade value, they are very much valuable in terms of each team needing one. No matter how good/bad a team is, if they have a good kicker they aren't going to trade them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
jpeter15 wrote:

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if we did. If Tucker shows he's the better man for the job, we'd save money under the cap by cutting Cundiff and could use it elsewhere. Then, if Tucker screws the pooch, I'm sure Cundiff will still be floating around to bring him in. If we let Tucker go, I wouldn't be surprised to see another team potentially scoop him up kinda like what happened with Hauschka.

I also read that in camp, Tucker is currently 82/97 (84.5%) whereas Cundiff is 74/89 (83%).

That was actually a typo Tucker is 82/87 (94%) and has been perfect most days in camp
http://www.csnwashington.com/08/15/12/Justin-Tucker-has-made-82-of-87-FGs-in-c/mobile_landing.html?blockID=757173&feedID=6703
coordinator0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ravens24x7.com/columns/The-Money-Clip-Baltimore-Ravens-Salary-Cap-Analysis/Will-Cundiffs-contract-save-or-cost-him-his-job

Quote:
If Tucker does beat out Cundiff (and remember that in 2010, the Ravens ended up keeping Cundiff after he outperformed the presumed favorite, Shayne Graham, even though Graham was signed to be the PK), the Ravens will be able to create $1.81M in Salary Cap space for this year. That amount represents the savings from Cundiff’s $2.2M base salary versus the $390K that Tucker would make. The team would still have to carry $600K of dead money against the Cap in 2012 and $1.8M in 2013.

But, while teams don’t usually like to carry dead money from one year to the next, there are three factors that would/should lessen that concern. First, the team is presently carrying very little dead money over into 2013. In fact, right now, the only dead money that will be carried over into 2013 is the roughly $40K of prorated bonus money from the undrafted rookies that will not make the team. In contrast, due to the releases of Willis McGahee, Kelly Gregg and others, the Ravens carried over more than $4.5M in dead money from 2011 into 2012.

The second factor that lessens the impact of releasing Cundiff is that the Ravens can carry over any unused 2012 Cap space into 2013. So, if $1.81M that is saved this year isn’t used this year, it can be carried over as to increase the team’s 2013 Cap space and would essentially be a wash with the $1.8M in dead money that was also carried over.

Of course, if the team needs that additional Cap space at some point in 2012, there would still be up to $1.8M in dead money to account for in 2013.

The last factor in favor of keeping Tucker over Cundiff, and this is a big one, is that, despite some possible Cap pain in 2013 from the dead money carry-over, Tucker will be far cheaper over the next 4 years than Cundiff. Cundiff is due $10.2M in base salary over the next 4 years and will count $12.6M against the Cap over those years. On the other hand, Tucker, as an undrafted free agent, will play those 4 years under minimum salaries ($390K, $480K, $570K, RFA in 4th year). As such, Tucker will likely cost no more than $3-4M (depending on the RFA tender in year 4) or so over the same period.

That was one of the things I was concerned about before camp started. It looks like the negative effects of possibly cutting Cundiff won't help him in the kicking competition.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: