Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official 2013-14 Maryland Terrapins Thread (12-9) (5-4 ACC)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Basketball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sp6488

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Official 2013-14 Maryland Terrapins Thread (12-9) (5-4 ACC) Reply with quote

Projected Depth Chart:

PG: Allen/Peters
SG: Faust/Layman
SF: Wells/Layman
PF: Smotrycz/Dodd
C: Cleare/Mitchell

Notable New Faces:

Roddy Peters -Freshman

Damonte Dodd - Freshman

Evan Smotrycz - Transfer (Michigan)

Last edited by sp6488 on Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:01 pm; edited 26 times in total
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping to go to the Maryland/Kentucky game at the Barclays Center... that would be pretty awesome. Almost as awesome as it would be if we got the Harrison twins.

Faust has had a great summer by all accounts and I think is going to have a huge year with Stoglin gone. I'm thinking at least 15 ppg. Out of the freshmen I think Layman and Seth Allen are going to have the biggest impact and Cleare will come on slowly as a rotational big man who seems more primed to be a big factor from his sophomore year on.

Excited about these Terps and where Turgeon is taking them. Future is real bright.
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.”
sp6488

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schedule:

http://www.umterps.com/sports/m-baskbl/sched/md-m-baskbl-sched.html

We play almost noone out of conference. We have the big game early with Kentucky in Brroklyn, then the Big 10/ACC challenge vs. Northwestern, finally we have GMU in the BB&T classic. Outside of that we play a bunch of nobodies.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know how Len's pregressed this off-season?

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Muy Oheribble

broncos67

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God I'm so happy this thread exists. Bummed I can't go to games like I could when I was actually in school, but I'm definitely gonna try to get to 5 games or so.

I think Maryland is going to have a good year. Stoglin is a big loss, but it begs asking whether the TEAM will be better without him.

I actually like the starting lineup of Howard, Faust, Layman, Cleare, Len, but Padgett will probably start initially. I like how long this team is and the type of team that Turge is building.

I'm also praying we land the Harrison twins. That would be a major coup and I don't think it's a slam dunk that they go to Kentucky the way some are declaring.

Thanks, Tzimisce
ravens_rool28

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
God I'm so happy this thread exists. Bummed I can't go to games like I could when I was actually in school, but I'm definitely gonna try to get to 5 games or so.

I think Maryland is going to have a good year. Stoglin is a big loss, but it begs asking whether the TEAM will be better without him.

I actually like the starting lineup of Howard, Faust, Layman, Cleare, Len, but Padgett will probably start initially. I like how long this team is and the type of team that Turge is building.

I'm also praying we land the Harrison twins. That would be a major coup and I don't think it's a slam dunk that they go to Kentucky the way some are declaring.

Stoglin was a chucker imo, and the team should be better without him. Pretty sure he didn't know the meaning of "pass" (went from 3.3apg in 2010-2011 to 1.9 in 2011-2012, getting 11 more mpg) and with Howard hurt didn't Faust have to play a lot of PG last year?

It'll be nice to have a healthy Pe (FOR THE LOVE OF GOD STAY HEALTHY), and Faust playing his natural position (SG). Not to mention another offseason of development for Len and Padgett. Oh yeah, the transfer of Smotrycz. Very Happy

Needless to say, I'm thoroughly excited for the upcoming season.

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Muy Oheribble

broncos67

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boom. Landed Dez Wells. Huge get for Turge and the gang, and it'll be even better if he can play this year. Talk about adding more ammo to help our recruiting classes.

Thanks, Tzimisce
sp6488

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncos67 wrote:
Boom. Landed Dez Wells. Huge get for Turge and the gang, and it'll be even better if he can play this year. Talk about adding more ammo to help our recruiting classes.

I always like checking who else was courting players that we pick up as I don't follow HS scouting too closely. Interesting to see that Kentucky, Memphis and Oregon were all after him. As you mentioned, huge get. If he can play this year does he rotate with Faust/Layman in the 2/3?

Location: ----------------- Props to Jamison. on the dope signature!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

I always like checking who else was courting players that we pick up as I don't follow HS scouting too closely. Interesting to see that Kentucky, Memphis and Oregon were all after him. As you mentioned, huge get. If he can play this year does he rotate with Faust/Layman in the 2/3?

I kept saying I would post in this thread and kept forgetting about it. Laughing

But I am glad to see a resurgence of Maryland fans on this forum.

As for Wells, while I am somewhat happy to get him, I'm not really sure where he fits. Ideally he would be a two guard, but we already have Faust slated to be our starter there. And at SF, Layman and Smotrycz (next year) are just much better fits given that Wells is slightly undersized for the position.

While there is 'technically' space in our back-court with the departure of Stoglin, allowing Wells to backup Faust would mean cutting down Sam Cassell Jr's minutes. And while he could see time at the point, the kid is really nothing close to a point guard and since Howard is the expected starter, all Wells would be doing is taking time from Seth Allen.

So at this point I'm not entirely sure where he'd slide into the rotation. I mean, the only real possibility I could see is given the relative lack of depth at SF this year and the fact that height is a little overrated in the collegiate ranks, he COULD be our starter at SF with the freshman Layman coming off the bench. I'm just not sure how much I like that going forward.

Eh, we'll see how it all works out though. Of course this is all assuming Well's appeal actually goes through. The only thing I genuinely do not like about picking up Wells is the fact that it's one less scholarship Maryland has for next year. So unless someone turns pro early, we may miss out on some of the immensely talented 2013 prospects simply because we don't have the means to pay for their collegiate experience.
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My guess is that the NCAA splits the difference and makes Wells eligible starting in the 2nd semester of this year. Which could probably work out great for us, as it allows Layman to get a lot of playing time during our non-conference schedule and then easing Wells in as an explosive, athletic wing player who can challenge Layman for PT (and spell Faust as well) during the grind of the ACC schedule. I don't think Smotrycz is particularly important to this equation because it seems like Turgeon is pushing him to get tougher in the paint and probably envisions him as Alex Len's replacement if/when Len turns pro next year.

If Wells is able to play this year, then we're going to be a really fun to watch, not to mention a tough out for anyone.

That leaves 2 scholarships open for the upcoming recruiting class. If Turgeon somehow turns those 2 open schollies into the Harrison twins... Shocked
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.”
Bo_Spice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been saying for months that the Harrison twins recruitment would come down to UK and Maryland and a lot of members of the forum kind of just wrote you guys off, but what do you know, we're in the last month and half of their recruitment and you're still in their top two. I really hope the Harrison twins choose Maryland, they'd be huge for your program both from a basketball standpoint in terms of on the court but also on the recruiting trail. Landing those two would bring Maryland back into the national picture and college basketball is better when Maryland is good. I can't wait to see how the ACC looks in a couple years with Duke, UNC, Syracuse, N.C. State, FSU, and Maryland all looking like they have a chance to be really good teams for a while.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo_Spice wrote:
I've been saying for months that the Harrison twins recruitment would come down to UK and Maryland and a lot of members of the forum kind of just wrote you guys off, but what do you know, we're in the last month and half of their recruitment and you're still in their top two. I really hope the Harrison twins choose Maryland, they'd be huge for your program both from a basketball standpoint in terms of on the court but also on the recruiting trail. Landing those two would bring Maryland back into the national picture and college basketball is better when Maryland is good. I can't wait to see how the ACC looks in a couple years with Duke, UNC, Syracuse, N.C. State, FSU, and Maryland all looking like they have a chance to be really good teams for a while.

Best conference in the Nation, again.

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Muy Oheribble

turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely awesome! Thanks for starting this man
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
teamjosh04

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:
sp6488 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:

I kept saying I would post in this thread and kept forgetting about it. Laughing

But I am glad to see a resurgence of Maryland fans on this forum.

As for Wells, while I am somewhat happy to get him, I'm not really sure where he fits. Ideally he would be a two guard, but we already have Faust slated to be our starter there. And at SF, Layman and Smotrycz (next year) are just much better fits given that Wells is slightly undersized for the position.

While there is 'technically' space in our back-court with the departure of Stoglin, allowing Wells to backup Faust would mean cutting down Sam Cassell Jr's minutes. And while he could see time at the point, the kid is really nothing close to a point guard and since Howard is the expected starter, all Wells would be doing is taking time from Seth Allen.

So at this point I'm not entirely sure where he'd slide into the rotation. I mean, the only real possibility I could see is given the relative lack of depth at SF this year and the fact that height is a little overrated in the collegiate ranks, he COULD be our starter at SF with the freshman Layman coming off the bench. I'm just not sure how much I like that going forward.

Eh, we'll see how it all works out though. Of course this is all assuming Well's appeal actually goes through. The only thing I genuinely do not like about picking up Wells is the fact that it's one less scholarship Maryland has for next year. So unless someone turns pro early, we may miss out on some of the immensely talented 2013 prospects simply because we don't have the means to pay for their collegiate experience.

First off, it seems highly unlikely that Wells plays this year so lets look towards next year.

Wells has ideal size for the SF position. He is not undersized at all. Yes he is listed at 6'5 but he has outstanding length, athleticism, and bulk that more than make up for it. Hell, he would have been Missouri's PF last year.

Don't worry about if we have room for Wells, Wells is a great talent and team player who will make room for himself. Layman and Smotrycz are both more of combo forwards who will get minutes at PF and I actually expect Smotrycz to get the majority of his minutes at the 4.

If Len leaves, that will work out perfectly as both Layman and Smotrycz would be great stretch PFs to pair with Cleare's inside game. With Len, they are a bit more redundant, but you cant complain about depth. Layman is certainly a bit of a wildcard who could turnout to be a huge steal for the Terps, but at this point, Wells may be the better option at SF.

If we get the Harrison twins next year (and I think we are definitely in the top 2...maybe a 40% chance of getting them now), minutes will certainly be tough to allocate. It will be a championship caliber team though.

Its too hard to predict how the team will look next year as there are a lot of variables (will Len leave, incoming recruits, transfers, freshman progressions) but they are definitely heading in a good direction.

For the record, Len's draft stock is overrated at this point. He doesn't look like a first round pick. I know NBAdraft.net likes him, but they are notoriously bad at scouting. Trust DraftExpress over them. Len's international status does make it more likely that he would leave versus an American draft prospect, but NBA teams won't be begging him to come out.

If you want to read more about Well's game, I did a little scouting report on him today: [Removed By Mod]
RavensTillIDie

Location: ----------------- Props to Jamison. on the dope signature!!!!!!!!!!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi teamjosh04, you definitely make some interesting points which I'd like to address at a later point in time, but right now I have to fulfill my modly duties and tell you, as per FORUM RULES we do not link to/promote other sites here.

Quote:
7. Do not promote (SPAM) other websites in your posts, signatures, or PMs.
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21944

Sorry, but those are the rules.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Basketball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: