Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Official 2013-14 Maryland Terrapins Thread (12-9) (5-4 ACC)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Basketball
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
RavensTillIDie


Moderator
Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Posts: 13124
Location: N.W.O
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo_Spice wrote:
Go_Ravens2 wrote:
But I thought Seth Allen couldn't be a successful guard in the ACC? Laughing


He's really been a force over the past two games in your dominant performances. Laughing

You guys are taking the ACC by storm!


Dude, stop with the trolling.
_________________

Matts4313 wrote:
Speaking of attacking kids
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
turtle28


Joined: 21 Nov 2007
Posts: 63515
Location: MD/DC/VA depends on the hr!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad! Sad We are what duke fans said we were at this point. Overrated. I'm guilty of it also, no way did I honk we'd be sitting at 1-2 in conference right now but we have a lot of basketball to play and our team is extremely young.

I just can't believe they only had 4 ast! Shocked smh
_________________
RIP SSFmike23md
"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
broncos67


Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 21982
Location: Conshohocken
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever last night was....well it was just completely foul. The team looked confused. Turgeon needs to break out of his conservative comfort zone. We have an athletic team and he needs to let them run, IMO.
_________________


Thanks, Tzimisce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Go_Ravens2


Joined: 30 Dec 2007
Posts: 1990
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big game tonight. I think we may be able to catch NC State off guard early and start off hot. They're coming off a huge win vs then #1 Duke and we're coming off 2 pretty embarrassing losses. A lot of times after a big win, we see college teams come out flat, whereas MD has a lot to prove. I'm sure Turgeon has been working them hard all week getting them prepared for this big game. The game has been sold out for a while already, so the fans are pumped for the game and I expect Comcast Center to be rockin'. I'll hopefully be there in the 2nd or 3rd row behind the announcers like usual (the perks of being a student haha).

Lets go Terps!
_________________

GO RAVENS!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RavensTillIDie


Moderator
Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Posts: 13124
Location: N.W.O
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go_Ravens2 wrote:
Big game tonight. I think we may be able to catch NC State off guard early and start off hot. They're coming off a huge win vs then #1 Duke and we're coming off 2 pretty embarrassing losses. A lot of times after a big win, we see college teams come out flat, whereas MD has a lot to prove. I'm sure Turgeon has been working them hard all week getting them prepared for this big game. The game has been sold out for a while already, so the fans are pumped for the game and I expect Comcast Center to be rockin'. I'll hopefully be there in the 2nd or 3rd row behind the announcers like usual (the perks of being a student haha).

Lets go Terps!


One thing I'm really hoping to see tonight is a change in the starting lineup. Layman should be starting at the 3 over Faust, as Faust looks much more comfortable leading the second unit than trying to meld with everyone else in the starting lineup. And regardless of how poor he's looked at the start of ACC play, Howard is possibly the only true point guard on our roster and should be starting over Allen, who like Faust has looked much more comfortable being a spark plug off the bench.

Howard
Wells
Layman
Mitchell
Len

That's our best starting lineup, and the lineup we need to stick with going forward, imo.

Wish I could go to the game tonight. Was actually thinking about taking advantage of still being a grad student and getting my free tickets, but I still need to figure out my login credentials for the terrapins ticketing system as it has been ages since I logged into it.
_________________

Matts4313 wrote:
Speaking of attacking kids
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Go_Ravens2


Joined: 30 Dec 2007
Posts: 1990
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:
Go_Ravens2 wrote:
Big game tonight. I think we may be able to catch NC State off guard early and start off hot. They're coming off a huge win vs then #1 Duke and we're coming off 2 pretty embarrassing losses. A lot of times after a big win, we see college teams come out flat, whereas MD has a lot to prove. I'm sure Turgeon has been working them hard all week getting them prepared for this big game. The game has been sold out for a while already, so the fans are pumped for the game and I expect Comcast Center to be rockin'. I'll hopefully be there in the 2nd or 3rd row behind the announcers like usual (the perks of being a student haha).

Lets go Terps!


One thing I'm really hoping to see tonight is a change in the starting lineup. Layman should be starting at the 3 over Faust, as Faust looks much more comfortable leading the second unit than trying to meld with everyone else in the starting lineup. And regardless of how poor he's looked at the start of ACC play, Howard is possibly the only true point guard on our roster and should be starting over Allen, who like Faust has looked much more comfortable being a spark plug off the bench.

Howard
Wells
Layman
Mitchell
Len

That's our best starting lineup, and the lineup we need to stick with going forward, imo.

Wish I could go to the game tonight. Was actually thinking about taking advantage of still being a grad student and getting my free tickets, but I still need to figure out my login credentials for the terrapins ticketing system as it has been ages since I logged into it.


I 100% agree. This is the lineup I've wanted to see as well. I hate when Faust starts, but he does play an important role on the team. PeShon has really struggled recently, so it is tempting to start Seth, but the reason I think we need to start PeShon is so our starters have one veteran leader. Len and Dez are only Sophomores and Chuck, Layman, and Seth are Freshmen, and I just think that is too young of a starting lineup. Let PeShon be the starter and have Seth come in with guys like Aronhalt and Padgett and Faust.

Also, if you still have your student ID its just the last 9 numbers on the back of the ID (the barcode). If you don't have one, there is a site you can use to look up the number, but I don't remember it off hand. If you know that number and you still have your umd email address, they'll email you your password so you can log in. Hope that helps!
_________________

GO RAVENS!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RavensTillIDie


Moderator
Joined: 14 Jan 2007
Posts: 13124
Location: N.W.O
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go_Ravens2 wrote:
Also, if you still have your student ID its just the last 9 numbers on the back of the ID (the barcode). If you don't have one, there is a site you can use to look up the number, but I don't remember it off hand. If you know that number and you still have your umd email address, they'll email you your password so you can log in. Hope that helps!


Yeah, I was trying that yesterday, but it wasn't working for whatever reason. I was trying to call the ticketing office to have them reset my information, but they haven't been very responsive. Oh well, hopefully I'll at least get to go to one or two games before the season is over.
_________________

Matts4313 wrote:
Speaking of attacking kids
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BaltimoreTerp


Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

Joined: 13 Feb 2005
Posts: 29548
Location: Washington, DC
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was an ugly win, but beautiful in the end. Thank god for Alex Len. Big boy earned some Boston Market after that tip-in. Theythey were looking for Logan on that final play and Pe'shon demonstrated why nobody wants him taking that shot in crunch time; if Len doesn't clean up the muck there we're talking about another absolutely pathetic shot by Pe'shon to lose us the game. They ran the wrong play and almost paid for it.

Dez Wells needs to step up. I know that ACC play is a new challenge for him coming over from Xavier, but we simply need way more from him right now in order to compete.

Love Turgeon's style, too. Although the things he say give reason for worry, it was sort of refreshing to have him come out and point out that win or lose, there's still a lot of work to be done. It's a good win, but this team still has no offensive identity and it needs to find it before the clock runs out.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Go_Ravens2


Joined: 30 Dec 2007
Posts: 1990
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RavensTillIDie wrote:
Go_Ravens2 wrote:
Also, if you still have your student ID its just the last 9 numbers on the back of the ID (the barcode). If you don't have one, there is a site you can use to look up the number, but I don't remember it off hand. If you know that number and you still have your umd email address, they'll email you your password so you can log in. Hope that helps!


Yeah, I was trying that yesterday, but it wasn't working for whatever reason. I was trying to call the ticketing office to have them reset my information, but they haven't been very responsive. Oh well, hopefully I'll at least get to go to one or two games before the season is over.


Get on that before the BC game. Gotta get your priority points if you want to go to Duke and UNC!

Anyways, I just got back from College Park and what a night it was. I haven't seen Comcast Center as fired up as last night since Duke in 2010 (to win the ACC regular season) and I go to most games every year. It definitely wasn't pretty, but we got the job done and a win against NC State will look very good come March.

Here are some of my thoughts:

Why does Jake Layman not start? He continues to show he hits big shots when he need him and in my opinion he's possibly our best defender and he continues to get better. He has a great combination of size and speed that makes it hard for opposing players.

Why does Nick Faust still think he's a good shooter? He takes dumb shots and it messes with our momentum sometimes. He is definitely a great defender and he's good and driving to the hoop but this year he's been below average shooting at best.

Alex Len came up with that huge tip in at the last second, but overall I was not very impressed with him this game. He usually shows great hands, but in this game alone I can think of 4-5 times where he couldn't catch the ball which led to turnovers and missed easy baskets. I really think he should stay in college an extra year and refine his skills some more because he has so much potential that just needs to be developed.

Dez Wells is a beast, but he needs to take care of his body a little bit better. There's been at least 3-4 times this season where he just throws himself around and he's bound to get hurt sooner or later. The one I'm talking about from this game was that huge block in the 2nd half where he landed on his head/shoulder. Also, he needs to be smarter in some of his decisions (like going in for the 1 handed dunk which he missed instead of just taking the easy 2 handed dunk for the sure 2 points).

I'm torn on who I prefer starting between PeShon and Seth Allen. PeShon has more experience and is the better passer, but he has really been struggling shooting recently. Missing wide open 3s, air balling relatively easy shots, and that pathetic excuse for a shot as time was expiring. Seth Allen has been the better player, but we've seen his age come back to bite him in the you know what a few times this year. That stupid 3 point attempt against FSU was all because he wanted to be in the spotlight, but it was a young mistake. Against NC state he turned it over too much because he tries to drive too deep and then when the defense collapses on him, he loses the ball. They both have their ups and their downs, but for now I'm okay with either starting.

Shaq Cleare can be really good if he learns to make a layup even with contact. He has some very good post moves and gets the shots that he wants, but he misses them too often. He is very physical down low, which I love, but he misses too many shots that he should be making.

Chuck is an awesome rebounder, and I think he should be starting at the 4, but he didn't have a particularly great game yesterday.

Padgett might be the worst offensive player on the team that actually gets playing time. He is pretty solid defensively, but everytime he touches the ball on offense, I cringe. It is a guaranteed turnover or terrible shot most of the time. He's only good for the 1 or 2 offensive put backs per game.

Logan Aronhalt needs to use his 3 point threat to his advantage to shoot more than just 3 pointers. Defenders know he is a 3 point specialist, so when he gets the ball they jump out at him, so he can easily fake it and go right past the defender to either get an easier shot or draw another inside defender and then he can pass it to one of the big guys. If he can force teams to respect his play other than just 3 point shooting, he'll have more opportunities to shoot those.

Also, these ACC refs have been a joke these last couple games. I hate to blame stuff on the refs, but it started in the FSU game and has continued into the game last night. I swear CJ Leslie traveled on 50% of the times he touched the ball and they didn't call it once. It was disgusting. Then they would call fouls against us, but when the NC State defenders would do the EXACT same thing it would be a clean play. At one point in the 2nd half we had 9 fouls against us while NC State had 2. I'm not sure why we get all these calls against us even when we're the home team, but it definitely made it tough to win.

Finally, I hear MD got a lot of bad publicity because the students stormed the court after the game. I personally didn't think it was appropriate to rush and I was hoping people wouldn't, but I can understand why some people did and after they already did, I said screw it and I rushed too. There are two reasons I didn't want to. First off, we were favored to win the game. Why would you rush the court when you win a game you were favored to win? We were favored to beat LIU Brooklyn and we didn't storm the court for that game. I know they are completely different situations, but you shouldn't storm the court for winning a game you were favored to win. Also, we expect to be a top 25 team. I know as fans we believe we are one of the best 25 teams in the country, so we need to act like it. This means only rushing the court if it is against a top 5 team or to win the ACC or something very significant like that. However, for the students that weren't around back in 2010, this is the biggest win they've ever experienced. I remember storming the court against Duke (when it was appropriate), but for 75% of the students, this was something they've never had the chance to do before and who knows if they'll get another chance in their short college lives. It was a big win for our program and it shows that we are truly on the right track to returning to a top program in the country and if our fans can be that excited over beating the #14 team in the country, then we have some very dedicated fans.
_________________

GO RAVENS!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Go_Ravens2


Joined: 30 Dec 2007
Posts: 1990
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take back everything I said. This team is pathetic. I'm embarrassed to be a Maryland fan right now.
_________________

GO RAVENS!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 8856
Location: MD
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go_Ravens2 wrote:
I take back everything I said. This team is pathetic. I'm embarrassed to be a Maryland fan right now.


omg... Ravens fan type posting dripping into the UMD thread...

Today was a gross first half, but I will never ever be embarrassed to cheer for the terps
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Go_Ravens2


Joined: 30 Dec 2007
Posts: 1990
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sp6488 wrote:
Go_Ravens2 wrote:
I take back everything I said. This team is pathetic. I'm embarrassed to be a Maryland fan right now.


omg... Ravens fan type posting dripping into the UMD thread...

Today was a gross first half, but I will never ever be embarrassed to cheer for the terps


Obviously I'm not actually embarrassed to cheer for the Terps, but that first half was one of the worst performances I've seen in a while. We really showed our youth today. The second half was definitely a lot better, but we still could not shoot at all. We made 1 three pointer all game, which is just unacceptable.
_________________

GO RAVENS!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dcarey20


Joined: 15 Feb 2006
Posts: 7257
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peshon Howard sucks. He was unathletic to begin with but after getting hurt last year he just has no sort of quickness or bounce. Dreadful shooter/scorer. The only positive of his game I've seen thus far is passing and dribbling > and when you take into account that these young players seem to have no idea how to run an actual offense, those 2 attributes aren't even that valuable. Seth Allen needs to be the man.

The offense needs to start running through Len even more than it already does. Even as our center I think he needs the most shot attempts night in and night out. The only guy I want taking a similar amount of shots would be Dez, because he's been one of the only consistent guys for us.

Faust is probably the most athletically gifted player on the team, he's got to get more consistent with his outside shot.

Shaq and Mitchell are a nice duo at the 4 IMO, but they're essentially the same player. They can't really offer anything outside of layups around the basket offensively.

You can tell Turgeon is really disappointed right now, because he's got a bunch of talented guys and he's built alot of depth. We're just relying solely on that talent to do anything and that's not how it should go.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sp6488


Joined: 14 Mar 2005
Posts: 8856
Location: MD
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crucial win tonight. We definitely needed that one tonight.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
broncos67


Joined: 28 Dec 2006
Posts: 21982
Location: Conshohocken
PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad they squeaked out a win, but they should be beating teams like BC. That being said, I thought the team looked pretty good. They're obviously much better when they run. I'm hoping they can beat Duke, or at least put up a good showing.
_________________


Thanks, Tzimisce
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Basketball All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 10 of 17

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group