Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

E.J. Manuel, QB, Florida State
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bo_Spice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

green24 wrote:
Still not sold on him. He is a third round prospect IMO.

I have a third round grade on him as well but the physical tools and the impressive outing at the senior bowl will really help his draft stock. He's going to woe a lot of people with his physical tools in the individual work outs and at his pro-day. Plus from all accounts he seems to be a humble guy so he should interview well. I think he'll end up going in the early second round with a chance to squeak into the late first if someone falls in love with him.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who would you guys take over Manuel, and why? Note: He's my number 1 QB.
rfc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there is one FSU player I do not vouch for it's EJ Manuel.

As an FSU fan, this guy is not very good at all. He doesn't suck, but how he plays the game will not work in the NFL.

Only good news for him is this a weak QB class.

Strong arm with horrible accuracy. Below average runner with some of the worst awareness i've ever seen.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:

What are your thoughts on Manuel's ability to diagnose a blitz presnap and ajust to it, what are your thoughts on Manuel's ability to respond and react and make an accurate throw while under pressure?

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
Bobikus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:

Geno and Wilson. Both of them are more accurate with better mechanics and I'd trust them to learn the game at an NFL level faster.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if he sat for a few years, he could be a very good QB.

All the physical tools are there, the arm, the athletic ability etc but mentally, I don't think he fully grasps it.

If he's coached up well, and he can continue to progress, I could see him being a good QB, but right now I wouldn't touch before the 3rd-4th round.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
Thelonebillsfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:

Why would he be? His ball placement and timing alone make him easily a third round prospect.

Watch his college tape. Throw after throw after throw is always to where the receiver IS, not where he's going to be.

Doesn't read coverages very well, though from all accounts he's a film rat (that makes it worse). Doesn't opporate an offense with much autonomy, that needs to be taught. Needs to work on taking snaps from center. Needs to work on his footwork, needs to work on pre-snap play diagnosis, needs to work on playing the blitz, needs to work the pocket better.

There are physical gifts there, yes, but he struggles with the mental aspect AND with certain elements of the physical aspect that are the most important (ball placement).

I think a team will fall in love with him and he'll be a first round pick, but I do NOT envy the team that does. Unless he's sat, and coached from the ground up in a system that doesn't change while he adjusts to it. He needs good coaching and even then, from all accounts he does work hard and he does study tape and do everything you'd like a QB to do to prep himself mentally and yet he still makes the same mistakes he made when he was a sophomore. Those aren't good signs.

Smith, Wilson, Dysert, and Glennon all have a better feel and more well rounded game than Manuel. At this point.
KBS756

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thelonebillsfan wrote:
alfalcone wrote:

Why would he be? His ball placement and timing alone make him easily a third round prospect.

Watch his college tape. Throw after throw after throw is always to where the receiver IS, not where he's going to be.

Doesn't read coverages very well, though from all accounts he's a film rat (that makes it worse). Doesn't opporate an offense with much autonomy, that needs to be taught. Needs to work on taking snaps from center. Needs to work on his footwork, needs to work on pre-snap play diagnosis, needs to work on playing the blitz, needs to work the pocket better.

There are physical gifts there, yes, but he struggles with the mental aspect AND with certain elements of the physical aspect that are the most important (ball placement).

I think a team will fall in love with him and he'll be a first round pick, but I do NOT envy the team that does. Unless he's sat, and coached from the ground up in a system that doesn't change while he adjusts to it. He needs good coaching and even then, from all accounts he does work hard and he does study tape and do everything you'd like a QB to do to prep himself mentally and yet he still makes the same mistakes he made when he was a sophomore. Those aren't good signs.

Smith, Wilson, Dysert, and Glennon all have a better feel and more well rounded game than Manuel. At this point.

Lol on Glennon ... The guy can look great at times but he doesnt move well at all, and can look horrible at times ... His mechanics arent great, his build is not nfl ready. Sure he makes a wow throw every now and then but still ... I don't envy the team who takes Glennon early.

Geno Smith I think is the most ready of the QBs
Tyler Wilson was gonna be my 2nd but I'm not confident on his arm strength now. But still put EJ as my 3rd QB in this draft. He's a hard worker and he's improved year over year. He's shown flashes of ability and by all accounts is a humble guy whos a hard worker. He has a higher Ceiling than anyone in this draft at QB. I would think its fair value if he goes in the 2nd and great value in the 3rd. Like almost every QB that gets into the NFL coaching is going to be very important to his development.
DontTazeMeBro

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been going back and checking out some of his games and he is really growing on me. The ball is out quick. Nice accuracy on mid-deep passes. Pretty good decision maker. I've been saying there are no good QBs for months but I'm beginning to think he might be.

Free Ray Rice
Jaguarfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:

Smith, Wilson, Glennon.
Manuel wasn't very good in college and isn't that good now.

Poz- 68 comb tackles, 1 sack 2 int
Henne- 103/173 1,222 yards 2 td 5 int 72.9 rating
#JDI
alfalcone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
alfalcone wrote:

What are your thoughts on Manuel's ability to diagnose a blitz presnap and ajust to it, what are your thoughts on Manuel's ability to respond and react and make an accurate throw while under pressure?

I think Manuel's flaws are the most correctable in the draft. His mechanics fall apart under pressure, and he will sometimes sail a deep throw, another mechanical flaw, but I think he has the most natural talent, strong arm, capable of accuracy, good size, and mobility. I think his ceiling is Joe Flacco with mobility, and that ceiling is far and away the highest in the draft. If you take away Kentucky and Jacksonville State, Wilson throw 13 touchdowns and 13 picks, and that combined with a weak arm isn't what I look for in a QB. Glennon, is a similar prospect to Manuel but lacks his mobility, and needs to add weight. Barkley's undersized, with a weak arm, and busted shoulder, and he throws too many picks. I didn't like Geno Smith's performance against good defenses, and I think he could well be a product of the system, a la Brandon Weeden. While I don't necessarily think Manuel should be a first round pick, he is the first QB I would select.
PowerElite

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DontTazeMeBro wrote:
I've been going back and checking out some of his games and he is really growing on me. The ball is out quick. Nice accuracy on mid-deep passes. Pretty good decision maker. I've been saying there are no good QBs for months but I'm beginning to think he might be.

Manuel also has experience with something that use to be valued in college QB prospects and that's experience in a pro style offense under center. You never hear about that anymore...
skatebeanz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PowerElite wrote:
DontTazeMeBro wrote:

Manuel also has experience with something that use to be valued in college QB prospects and that's experience in a pro style offense under center. You never hear about that anymore...
And a lot of people said that was overrated. If he goes to Philly he may never be under cmeter. Lol

Sig bet
sammymvpknight

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manual has big time upside...but he is way too inconsistent to be a 1st rounder. But that doesn't mean that it won't happen. Teams fall in love with upside and believe that they can coach anyone up.

I think that he will likely go in the early 2nd round to one of the lesser teams without a QB.
Speedyg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thelonebillsfan wrote:
alfalcone wrote:

I hate to do the comparison due to them being of the same race, but E.J. compares to someone like David Garrard as a prospect...and Garrard might actually have had more hype then if he had been playing at FSU.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: