Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Redskins trade CB Kevin Barnes to the Lions; Released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:
Dashing wrote:
He sucks.

Not saying you're wrong but Atlanta fans told us the same thing when we traded for Chris Houston.

That's what I came in here to say before I saw your post
Louis Friend

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, I haven't watched him play alot. I saw him a little in college. Doubt he's our savior in the secondary, but any depth will help us right now.
footy_29

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_Factor_40 wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:
Dashing wrote:
He sucks.

Not saying you're wrong but Atlanta fans told us the same thing when we traded for Chris Houston.

That's what I came in here to say before I saw your post

I get what you two are tying to say....but Chris Houston in Atlanta was a better player than Barnes has been for the Skins. Each of the last two years they have drafted corners in the seventh who have covered better.

For a team lacking CB depth, you could do worse; and, it's bound to be a seventh rounder.

Blknite01's masterpiece
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy will be on our roster come Sept. 9. He is not a scrub. Ultimately we would like to see him in the Nickel role. May be a Dime. With all the injuries we have, I could see him as our CB2 in a pinch. He does seem to have an uncanny ability to come up with the ball when least expected. Really seems like the type of guy we target for our secondary.

And WAS can't keep him in a single position long enough for him to actually play it. They bounced him back and forth so much I'm not sure he ever got a chance to know the playbook for his position. I expect whether it be CB or S, he will stick to what he starts out as here. He would probably be our 2nd/3rd S. I could see him starting opposite Delmas.
Dashing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFan630 wrote:
Dashing wrote:
He sucks.

No Chris Houston had some talent. Barnes does not trust me .....if anything he is a man to man press guy and not a zone guy . IDK what you guys run on defense but from what I know Barnes was terrible and for whatever reason he did better at safety.
Dashing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:
Dashing wrote:
He sucks.

That and fans typically hate a player right when they get traded but didn't hate them a month earlier.

What are you talking about? nobody in our fan base liked him that much I wanted him gone. We are best off starting our rookie CB at #3 or Cendric Griffin who isnt even good either over Barnes.

So you can feel like im hating Im really not . If you obtained Fred Davis or Garcon or a lower decent player like Chris Wilson (DE/LB) - Lorenzo Alexander I would of said good moves. Because those guys can contribute on your team . Barnes sucked for us and IDK how he will do in detroit but no way he is that good .

Like the OT your giving us IDC about him I think he sucks too...
Dashing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:
Dashing wrote:
He sucks.

He doesn't suck. He was just a pick from Zorn era (error) and Shanny likes his own guys. Barnes is the type of guy that if he becomes a very solid starter for years to come I wouldn't be surprised. Also if he just fades outta the league in a few years I wouldn't be surprised.

He does suck but he had his ups and downs for potential . Maybe ???they'll play to his strength . Im happy he is gone Im looking forward to Crawford.
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RIP CITY wrote:
He's 6'1'' and fairly athletic, probably won't be the answer to the CB problems but I'll take it. Still could use a real upgrade to the secondary.

It's something which I guess is better than nothing.

I have a feeling the Lions defence may set a record for passing yards allowed this year.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
footy_29

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
This guy will be on our roster come Sept. 9. He is not a scrub. Ultimately we would like to see him in the Nickel role. May be a Dime. With all the injuries we have, I could see him as our CB2 in a pinch. He does seem to have an uncanny ability to come up with the ball when least expected. Really seems like the type of guy we target for our secondary.

And WAS can't keep him in a single position long enough for him to actually play it. They bounced him back and forth so much I'm not sure he ever got a chance to know the playbook for his position. I expect whether it be CB or S, he will stick to what he starts out as here. He would probably be our 2nd/3rd S. I could see him starting opposite Delmas.

This is not true.

Not a playmaker, otherwise he would have been kept as that is what the Skins are looking for in the secondary.

He did practice at safety for what amounted to a month, but only when injuries hit. Otherwise, he was a corner for the other three and a half years. He was given more than enough regular season reps to improve, and it never happened. Maybe a different coach can help him with his technique and the mental aspect of the game.

A dime corner for a team hit by injuries, which explains the low return.

Blknite01's masterpiece

Last edited by footy_29 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dashing wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
LionsFan630 wrote:
Dashing wrote:
He sucks.

That and fans typically hate a player right when they get traded but didn't hate them a month earlier.

What are you talking about? nobody in our fan base liked him that much I wanted him gone. We are best off starting our rookie CB at #3 or Cendric Griffin who isnt even good either over Barnes.

So you can feel like im hating Im really not . If you obtained Fred Davis or Garcon or a lower decent player like Chris Wilson (DE/LB) - Lorenzo Alexander I would of said good moves. Because those guys can contribute on your team . Barnes sucked for us and IDK how he will do in detroit but no way he is that good .

Like the OT your giving us IDC about him I think he sucks too...
I was just saying that typically happens. Not saying it directly happened, but typically it could have.

CWood21 wrote:
This anti-Teddy crap is getting out of hand.

R.I.P. Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

footy_29 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:

This is not true.

Not a playmaker, otherwise he would have been kept as that is what the Skins are looking for in the secondary.

He did practice at safety for what amounted to a month, but only when injuries hit. Otherwise, he was a corner for the other three and a half years. He was given more than enough regular season reps to improve, and it never happened. Maybe a different coach can help him with his technique and the mental aspect of the game.

He is very intelligent - If a coaching staff takes the time with him, he is a sponge(sadly our secondary coaching is suspect as well) His passes deflected and INT per play involved in is VERY high. Which means he has a nose for the ball.

I see he didn't do crap for WAS, but let's not sell the kid short on the off chance your coaching staff was clueless on how to handle the poor kid.

Now kindly exit stage right before I tell you how I REALLY feel. I am not sure the best thing for this thread is embittered fans of his old team trashing him.
PARROTHEAD

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He isnt a bad pickup. And one of the things not said yet is how smart the guy is. Hes one of the sharpest in the league. And I think that went a long way in why the Skins held onto him this long.

I always wanted him to bulk his frame up. But he never did, not even with being inseparable with Laron Landry.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
footy_29 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:

This is not true.

He is very intelligent - If a coaching staff takes the time with him, he is a sponge(sadly our secondary coaching is suspect as well) His passes deflected and INT per play involved in is VERY high. Which means he has a nose for the ball.

I see he didn't do crap for WAS, but let's not sell the kid short on the off chance your coaching staff was clueless on how to handle the poor kid.

Now kindly exit stage right before I tell you how I REALLY feel. I am not sure the best thing for this thread is embittered fans of his old team trashing him.

I would never sell Washingtons coaching staff short. Shanny has nothing left to prove to anyone.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
FootballPhreak

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diehardlionfan wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:
footy_29 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:

This is not true.

I would never sell Washingtons coaching staff short. Shanny has nothing left to prove to anyone.

Meh. Did say off chance.

But if I was a young CB in the NFL, with all due respect to Shanny and his staff, the handling of this kid reads like a horror flick. I certainly don't know that has been his problem, but it certainly is not outside the realm of possibility. I mean the kids strong points read like a player ready to impact the league - Intelligent, coachable, Athletic, nose for the ball.....

Like I said, our secondary coaches are suspect as well though.
footy_29

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FootballPhreak wrote:
footy_29 wrote:
FootballPhreak wrote:

This is not true.

Embittered fan...perhaps. Let me look at it from your perspective and address what may make me bitter about Kevin Barnes. Unfortunately, you cannot throw me out Very Happy

He was drafted by Vinny Cerrato who was particularly poor with mid-round selections, and was picked before Ladarius Webb. Barnes hit his ceiling as an average dime corner, which is simply not good enough for his size and intelligence off the field. He has the physical skill-set, why else has he not succeeded? Maybe the Redskins organization is the only reason, but it could be the style of coaching.

The best way to determine if someone has a nose for the ball is to see them play, and see their anticipation and understanding of the play, ie. what the offense or the receiver is trying to do. The mental aspect of the game that I spoke of is route recognition, and his footwork and hand-use for technique. When he anticipates the play he is close to the receiver and he can use his long arms to get those deflections - the problem is that he consistently allows separation.

Kevin Barnes has received quality coaches. You are insinuating that the coaching staff did not spend time with him, which seems ludicrous considering he was on the roster since he has been drafted.

You always hope that the intelligent and mature players rise to the top, but sometimes they never take the next step. He could be a player rejuvenated with the Lions, but Shanahan was going to release him from a team that needs corner help.

Blknite01's masterpiece

Last edited by footy_29 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: