Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Whiffleball mock offseason v1.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whiffleballtony

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Whiffleball mock offseason v1.0 Reply with quote

I decided that instead of creating new threads for different mocks I will simply update this thread.

Coaching Hires
George Warhop: Formerly offensive line coach of the Cleveland Browns
-Did a nice job developing the Browns power run game.

Charlie Joiner: Formerly wide reciever coach of the San Diego Chargers
-Joiner has helped develop some great receivers for the Chargers, primarily working with large wide receivers. Mayhew decides to target larger wide receivers as smaller wide outs have not worked out and larger wide outs can help Stafford’s sometime erratic throws…think Derrick Anderson when with the Browns.

Ollie Wilson: Formerly running back coach of the San Diego Chargers
-Wilson has a long history of developing runners.

Retirement:
Kyle Vanden Bosch
+5 million in cap

Cut:
Nate Burleson
Dominic Raiola
Stephen Peterman
+9 million in cap

Explanation: It is time for the Lions to move on from Dom, Peterman played poorly, and Burleson is simply a cap casualty.

Extension/Restructure:
Matthew Stafford 7yr/100m
Shaun Hill 2 year 3 million
Tony Scheffler 2 year 3 million
Calvin Johnson-restructures
+14.5 million in cap

Explanation: Hill and Scheffler sign extensions to lower their cap numbers. Stafford signs a long term deal.

Total Money entering resigning and free agency: estimated 46.5 million

Resign:
Louis Delmas 1 year 2.5 million-Delmas signs a “prove it” deal.
Joique Bell 2 year 2 million [1,1]
Jason Hanson 1 year 2 million
Corey Williams 1 year 1.5 million
Lo-Jack 1 year 1 million

Tags
Jason Fox-Original round tender-$1.26 million
Willie Young-2nd round tender-$1.927 million
Cliff Avril-Franchise Tag

Explanation: We could let Avril walk and just get a comp pick in 2014 but Mayhew needs results this season. He decides to tag Avril despite saying he did not plan on using the tag.

Trades:
Quote:
The Detroit Lions trade Cliff Avril to the Jacksonville Jaguars for 2013 3rd and a 2014 conditional 3rd. [If Cliff Avril starts 14 games or leads team in sack said 2014 pick becomes a 2nd rounder, if Cliff Avril records 12 or more sacks said 2014 pick becomes a 1st rounder.]

Quote:
The Detroit Lions trade WR Titus Young to the Kansas City Chiefs for WR Jonathan Baldwin. (Reid gambles that he can overcome Young’s attitude and Mayhew gambles that playing opposite of Megatron and steadier QB play will improve Baldwin)

Quote:
The Detroit Lions trade WR Mike Thomas to the New York Jets for a 7th round pick
(Lions decide 1.5 million is too much for Mike Thomas and cut their losses)

Offensive Free Agent
RG Louis Vasquez 4 year 14 million [2.5, 3.5, 3.5, 4.5]
WR Nate Burleson 2 year, 2 million [1, 1]
WR Ramses Barden 2 tear, 2 million [1, 1]

Explanation: Burleson comes back at a discounted price to provide continuity and leadership, Barden signs somewhat of a “prove it” contract and will compete for playing time. Vasquez comes in to the RG spot.

Defensive Free Agents
CB Nnamdi Asomugha 5 year 32.5 million [5, 6.5, 6.5, 6.5, 8]
CB Bradly Fletcher 2 year 3 million [1.5, 1.5]
SS William Moore 4 year 28 million [6, 7, 7, 8]
LB Manny Lawson 3 year 9 million [3, 3, 3]
DL Jason Jones 3 year 9 million [3, 3, 3]
DL Turk McBride 1 year 1 million

Explanation: Scrabble and Fletcher give the lions the size they need to use more man-press coverage. Moore groups with them to give the Lions considerable more size in the back end as well as playmakers. Manny Lawson is a very solid OLB who could be used to rush the passer. Jones and McBride help fill the holes left by Avril, KVB, and Hill

Estimated 13 million in cap

Draft:
The Detroit Lions trade down the 5th pick to the Buffalo Bills for their 8th pick and their 3rd round pick.

1. The Detroit Lions select CB DeMarcus Milliner-Milliner will compete immediately for a starting spot.

2. The Detroit Lions select OL Barrett Jones-Jones replaces Raiola and helps solidify the interior line for years.

3. The Detroit Lions select FS Phillip Thomas-If Mayhew wants playmakers he needs to take a long look at Thomas. He could easily fill in if(when) Delmas gets hurt or if he moves on after his contract is up.

3. The Detroit Lions select LB Khaseem Greene-After both Levy and Durant walk the Lions have to bring in a young replacement. Greene has the ability to make splash plays and could take a starting spot.

3. The Detroit Lions select DE Tank Carradine-Tank fall is the Lions benefit. He will provide solid depth and could be starting by seasons end.

4. [comp] The Detroit Lions select RB Kenjon Barner- Mayhew finds a burner incase Best cannot return.

5. The Detroit Lions select SS Duke Williams

6. The Detroit Lions select DE Devin Taylor

7. The Detroit Lions select P Quinn Sharp-Sharp will provide an immediate upgrade to the punting unit and can take over kickoff duties for Hanson.

7. The Detroit Lions select TE Philip Lutzenkirchen

Depth Chart
Rookie
Free Agent/trade

QB-Stafford, Hill, Moore
RB-Leshoure, Bell, Barner, Best
WR-Johnson, Broyles, Barden
WR-Baldwin, Burleson
TE-Pettigrew, Scheftler, Lutzenkirchen
LT-Backus, Fox
LG-Sims, Austin
OC-Nagy, Jones
RG-Vasquez
RT-Reiff, Fox

RE-Jackson, Carradine
DT-Suh, Jones
DT-Fairley, Williams
LE-McBride, Young, Taylor

SAM-Lawson, Whitehead
MLB-Tulloch,, Lewis
WILL-Palmer, Greene

CB-Asomugha, Bentley
S-Moore, Williams, Wendling
S-Delmas, Thomas
CB-Fletcher. Milliner, Green

K-Hanson
P-Sharp
PR-Broyles
KR-Barner

I decided to not make any of my rookies starters although I imagine that Milliner, Jones, Greene, and Sharp all have a good chance of starting. Tank could take over before seasons end as well.
ManeLine

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like this mock a lot. Good job!

Smack

Adopt A Lion - Ryan Broyles
flyguy1609

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice i could live with it
JSMcTilty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it too. Draft looks very solid, as does FA. My only complaint would be the long contract for Nnamdi, who will be 32 before the start of the season - but I could live with it.
Whiffleballtony

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSMcTilty wrote:
I like it too. Draft looks very solid, as does FA. My only complaint would be the long contract for Nnamdi, who will be 32 before the start of the season - but I could live with it.
I could understand that. I simply tried to use Charles Woodson's latest deal as a guide.
GeneralTso

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the front 7 of the defense is overall worse while of course the secondary improves, so overall it's a lateral move.

Young for Baldwin is unrealistic, Baldwin is not a headcase and is probably more talented. If Bowe leaves, why would they trade Baldwin as well?

If we trade down to Buffalo, it'd take more than just the 3rd round pick.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: