Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

NFL says that replacement refs will start regular season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagles101

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
spilltray wrote:
Do they choke on the mic and explain things poorly? Sometimes. I don't care about that at all. They get the actual calls and procedures right a very high % of the time. I don't see substantially any more or less "blown" calls than you see in an average NFL game.

Like I said, maybe you've seen better games than me. I've had my jaw drop a couple times.

Even if they aren't getting the calls wrong in the other games, I'd like to watch a game where the officials at least seem like they know what they're doing. There shouldn't be a 2 minute discussion every time a flag is thrown.

that i thought was kind of a big problem last night near the end. when they started to throw a lot of flags. it took a lot longer to just make the call.

also did anyone else see romo try and snatch the ball away from the ref? romo shouldnt have done that be the refs seem to have a hard time keeping the players back when they need to.

I don't understand most of that, but I can tell it's probably inaccurate.
incognito_man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:

And I don't think you got what I was getting at in the first place. I have no problem with the NFL putting their best in for the primetime games, I was just pointing out how much leverage it gives the regular refs, if they know the NFL is embarrassed by the replacement refs.

I think you missed my point.

Nobody 'knows' the NFL is embarrassed, it was simply the word choices of Adam Schefter - a journalist trying to sell stories.

If a large portion of us diehard fans are fine with the refereeing (and we are) than you can be assured that the vast majority of casual fans either 1] are ok with it too or 2] don't care one way or the other or 3] someone managed to ignore all negativity spewing from the media and have no idea.

Heck, last night announcers were a great example - started the game trying to confirm their previous bias about how nasty the replacements were and overreacting to mundane crap and then started praising them toward the end of the game.

The regular refs lose leverage with each week. The replacements will continue to improve and in large steps.
stchamp98

Most Valuable Poster (3rd Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

El ramster wrote:
Cbs are gonna get away with murder..
Atleast from what i saw last night.

I'm not sure that's worse than CBs being called for every ticky-tack penalty under the sun.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:

And I don't think you got what I was getting at in the first place. I have no problem with the NFL putting their best in for the primetime games, I was just pointing out how much leverage it gives the regular refs, if they know the NFL is embarrassed by the replacement refs.

I think you missed my point.

Nobody 'knows' the NFL is embarrassed, it was simply the word choices of Adam Schefter - a journalist trying to sell stories.

tylerdouglass wrote:
I would hope the NFL is embarrassed.

I'm working under the assumption that the NFL is embarrassed by fielding officials that look like they've never watched a down of football in their lives at times. Sometimes they look fine, other times they are totally clueless.

incognito_man wrote:
If a large portion of us diehard fans are fine with the refereeing (and we are) than you can be assured that the vast majority of casual fans either 1] are ok with it too or 2] don't care one way or the other or 3] someone managed to ignore all negativity spewing from the media and have no idea.

Heck, last night announcers were a great example - started the game trying to confirm their previous bias about how nasty the replacements were and overreacting to mundane crap and then started praising them toward the end of the game.

The regular refs lose leverage with each week. The replacements will continue to improve and in large steps.

Last night's officials did alright, I've never said they didn't.

My concern is how the other officials are going to do, the "bottom of the barrel" replacement refs. I saw plenty in the preseason that I couldn't believe, and my only hope is that they improve. If they don't, they certainly could be an embarrassment, and then the refs would have all the leverage in the negotiations.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:

I'm working under the assumption that the NFL is embarrassed by fielding officials that look like they've never watched a down of football in their lives at times. Sometimes they look fine, other times they are totally clueless.

Well...

That's a terrible assumption.

If they actually were embarrassed, they would do something about it. Clearly they're ok with it.
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:

Well...

That's a terrible assumption.

If they actually were embarrassed, they would do something about it. Clearly they're ok with it.

1) They shouldn't be OK with it.

2) If they are OK with it, why are they even bothering to meet with the old refs? Why not just move on?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:

2) If they are OK with it, why are they even bothering to meet with the old refs? Why not just move on?

They're ok with using replacement refs until the old ones lower their demands. That's what they're ok with.
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

incognito_man wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:

They're ok with using replacement refs until the old ones lower their demands. That's what they're ok with.

Ok.

We're back at square 1.

Until they get the old refs back, the new ones have a decent chance of being absolutely terrible, which in turn should embarrass the NFL. If that happens, then the leverage will be back to the officials.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:

Ok.

We're back at square 1.

Until they get the old refs back, the new ones have a decent chance of being absolutely terrible, which in turn should embarrass the NFL. If that happens, then the leverage will be back to the officials.

won't matter meteors will hit the Earth causing the NFL to go away for ever......see how stupid assumptions are?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazingandre wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:
incognito_man wrote:
tylerdouglass wrote:

Ok.

We're back at square 1.

won't matter meteors will hit the Earth causing the NFL to go away for ever......see how stupid assumptions are?

See the bolded...

Yeah... Assumptions.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say this... they do one thing better than the regular guys... They CONSISTENTLY reinforce the QB Safety rules. I'm not in favor of favoritism quarterbacks get by safety rules. However, if they're going to do it at least do it with some regularity and consistency. It was maddening to watch a 1:00 PM game and see a hit get flagged then watch a 4:15 game and watch the exact same hit go unflagged then watch that hit get flagged again at 8:10 later in the day.

In the pre-season they have enforced these rules by the book and were consistent in every single game whether I liked the call or not.

Trust in the 4Bs: Ben, Bell, Blount and Brown!
bluesfreak74

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodell sure is protecting the integrity of the game by having these clowns ref the games.

I'm sure though, the Goodell supporters will say it's not all his fault. Rolling Eyes

El Ramster on this beaut!
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluesfreak74 wrote:
Goodell sure is protecting the integrity of the game by having these clowns ref the games.

I'm sure though, the Goodell supporters will say it's not all his fault. Rolling Eyes

It isn't though.....
bluesfreak74

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
bluesfreak74 wrote:

It isn't though.....

If he really wants to protect the integrity of the game, he'd get a deal done.

El Ramster on this beaut!
spilltray

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluesfreak74 wrote:
JammerHammer21 wrote:
bluesfreak74 wrote:

It isn't though.....

If he really wants to protect the integrity of the game, he'd get a deal done.

Because you really believe it's up to Goodell if a deal gets done here or not?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: