Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Complete The Wire Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: The Complete The Wire Thread Reply with quote

It has been a while since we have had a good ole thread on The Wire. so, rather than bumping old stuff, thought I would create this with a few links that I can find.

The Original (I think), plus 51 great Characters from He Hate Me
Ranking the Seasons
A few good Quotes
The Wire vs The Shield
The Wire vs The Sopranos

I really hope we can get a good thread going here with both discussion of people who have watched the series before and for people who are watching it for the first time.

All Spoilers should be in the following Format;
Code:
[quote="Spoilers"][color=white]Type Your Spoilers in here[/color][/quote]

So lets get a talking, I suggest having a quick read through the first linked thread if you have seen it before, is really a great read.
grubs10

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched every season over this past summer on HBOgo. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

^Props to jgutowski24 on the Sweet Wiz Style Sig^
Against_me

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best tv series ever.

Stedman Bailey

receiving - 17 rec 226 yards avg 15.4
rushing - 2 att 33 yards 1 td

Ray Ray Armstrong

13 tackles 0 FF 1 FR 0 Int 0 Sacks
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that has always intrigued me about how this series was created is the little homages to characters that were in the show, but are not longer around. How they compare and contrast the styles of people within the same world and across the worlds.

One big thing I never picked up until I was going through the seasons for the second time is the subtle comparions of style between Marlo and Vondas summed up in one quote from each.

Possible Spoilers wrote:
Marlo - When in the Jail cell in season 5 and Chris tells him that Omar has been calling him out, Marlo says "My Name is My Name" basically saying that if my name is mentioned and people hear it and see me not reacting then it hurts my reputation. If you speak my name, you have to know there will be consequences.

Vondas, late in season two, after the connect with Prop-Joe has fallen apart somewhat and they are planning to leave the country. It is bought up that they "know his name" and the Greek Responds "Ah, but my name is not my name" and pulls out a hand full of fake passports. The Greek is the most successful criminal in the show, he never gets close to being caught, and his style of being behind the scenes, but in a position of immense power.

Basically Marlo wants a reputation, he gets it, he want "respect" and he gets it, but then he feels the need to uphold that and people knowing who is his is what drives him as shown by the final scene of the series when he asks two young hoppers if they know who he is, and they reply in the negative. Vondas does not care if anyone knows who he is, in fact he would prefer it that nobody knew who he was, and it is becasue of that that he is able to succeed in places that both Marlo and Avon could not.

Last edited by khodder on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
ravens_rool28

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really need to watch the series again. It's been way too long (2 years or so).

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Muy Oheribble

Mossburg

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEASON 3 SPOILERS BELOW

^^^ Stringer seemed to be something between the Greek and Avon/Marlo in that contrast. I love that scene in the end of season 3 where Avon realizes that Stringer was right, that they were above the petty street stuff, but it's too late.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Mark Twain

Last edited by Mossburg on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
ravens_rool28

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoilers wrote:
One thing about the series that I LOVED was the way they build up the next generation. How Dookie becomes the new Bubs, Michael the new Omar, Chris ends up as the next-gen Wee-Bey to Marlo as the next-gen Avon and maybe Carver becoming the new Daniels . I guess Bodie could be considered the next-gen D'Angelo but that might be a bit of a stretch. It really is an amazing story in-and-of-itself.

I could be way off-base with these, and if I am please inform me otherwise. Like I said, I haven't seen the series in years and am going off he top of my head.

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Muy Oheribble

khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravens_rool28 wrote:
Spoilers wrote:
One thing about the series that I LOVED was the way they build up the next generation. How Dookie becomes the new Bubs, Michael the new Omar, Chris ends up as the next-gen Wee-Bey to Marlo as the next-gen Avon and maybe Carver becoming the new Daniels . I guess Bodie could be considered the next-gen D'Angelo but that might be a bit of a stretch. It really is an amazing story in-and-of-itself.

I could be way off-base with these, and if I am please inform me otherwise. Like I said, I haven't seen the series in years and am going off he top of my head.

Spoilers wrote:
Some of them are right; Bodie dies, so there is that. Marlo is not portrayed as much as the new Avon at the end, but part of his deal to stay out of jail is that he avoid "the game" however it does not seem as if he is going to be able to do that. Chris is in Jail and he was pretty much already the "Wee-Bay" for Marlo. Sydnor as the new McNulty is and interesting turn.

The Character development really is one of the best parts of the entire series, Prez and Carver in particular.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:
^^^ Stringer seemed to be something between the Greek and Avon/Marlo in that contrast. I love that scene in the end of season 3 where Avon realizes that Stringer was right, that they were above the petty street stuff, but it's too late.

Yeah, he new that ultimately they needed to be well above the street to stay in the game for any length of time past their current point, but he, in the absense of Avon, had to force himself down onto the "front lines" more than he wanted and that sort of started the downfall.

Personally one of the absolute best stories of the entire series is a girl that you see three times in the entire series. In three scenes this girl goes from full on drug fiend to recovering addict.

I also like as I said before the subtle homages to older characters. Like when they are bringing down the towers at the start of I beleive season 4, at the back of the crowd is none other than Nick Sobotka. In season 5, when interviewing the homeless you can see more than one Port Worker from season 2 present.
ravens_rool28

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
ravens_rool28 wrote:
Spoilers wrote:

Spoilers wrote:
Some of them are right; Bodie dies, so there is that. Marlo is not portrayed as much as the new Avon at the end, but part of his deal to stay out of jail is that he avoid "the game" however it does not seem as if he is going to be able to do that. Chris is in Jail and he was pretty much already the "Wee-Bay" for Marlo. Sydnor as the new McNulty is and interesting turn.

The Character development really is one of the best parts of the entire series, Prez and Carver in particular.

Spoilers wrote:
I agree on both prez and carver, but prez's development might be the biggest development of all. Not only is he physically different, but the fact that he goes from pistol-whipping a kid in the eye, to becoming a teacher that ends up being the biggest positive influence in Dookie's life really is awesome.

Another set of interactions I love are the interractions between the adults and children, mainly Prez to Dookie, Carver to Randy, and Bunny to Namond. The most interesting part of these relationships is the fact that each ends up completely different. Namond ends up living happily with Bunny, Randy ends up in the foster-system hating Carver, and Dookie ends up on the streets breaking Prez's heart (assumedly).

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Muy Oheribble

x0x

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer too many shows.

I still need to finish Season 3, 4 and 5 though, admittedly.

But am just not in any hurry.

I guess my personal bias would be that I don't like to be suckered into having sympathy for career criminals. Fair or not.
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x0x wrote:
I guess my personal bias would be that I don't like to be suckered into having sympathy for career criminals. Fair or not.

If that is how you view the show then fair enough, but how you feel is your own choice, this show is one that does not just portray one side of the story, it does not give a biased view of those caught up in the drug trade. It does not force you to sympathise with them, but it does show you that they are people too, whatever their circumstances.
ravens_rool28

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x0x wrote:
I prefer too many shows.

I still need to finish Season 3, 4 and 5 though, admittedly.

But am just not in any hurry.

Think about them as people, not just criminals. IMO, some of the police/gov't official in The Wire are worse than the criminals.

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Muy Oheribble

x0x

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
x0x wrote:

If that is how you view the show then fair enough, but how you feel is your own choice, this show is one that does not just portray one side of the story, it does not give a biased view of those caught up in the drug trade. It does not force you to sympathise with them, but it does show you that they are people too, whatever their circumstances.

Yes, I get that completely. You just have to understand that I have friends in law enforcement and still consider the possibility for myself in the future.

I get that most people are a product of their environment, but I'm just not interested in watching a show that's....too real? I guess that's the best way to put it.

The Shield really conveyed to my emotions in how they handled many of the criminals. The Wire is more " this is life...it sucks ".

Again, that's not to say The Wire is not a high-level show. I just don't like it on a personal level.

Same as how some don't like Seinfeld right?
thrILL!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best scene ever from this show? (No need for spoilers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHeqeiIQt34

Laughing

McNulty >>>

Crate Diggin': Hip Hop 101 w/ thrILL! & Willink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: