Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Complete The Wire Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teamorange

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x0x wrote:
khodder wrote:
x0x wrote:
I guess my personal bias would be that I don't like to be suckered into having sympathy for career criminals. Fair or not.

If that is how you view the show then fair enough, but how you feel is your own choice, this show is one that does not just portray one side of the story, it does not give a biased view of those caught up in the drug trade. It does not force you to sympathise with them, but it does show you that they are people too, whatever their circumstances.

Yes, I get that completely. You just have to understand that I have friends in law enforcement and still consider the possibility for myself in the future.

I get that most people are a product of their environment, but I'm just not interested in watching a show that's....too real? I guess that's the best way to put it.

The Shield really conveyed to my emotions in how they handled many of the criminals. The Wire is more " this is life...it sucks ".

Again, that's not to say The Wire is not a high-level show. I just don't like it on a personal level.

Same as how some don't like Seinfeld right?

Season 3, 4, 5 in a sense takes you back before they became criminals; when they were just kids and the development from being in the hood and leads you through why they take those actions and pursue those livelihoods.

And the show is not meant to make you sympathize for the inner city but rather understand it and understand the structural problems. This why I feel Season 2 is underrated. It pretty much strips you of all your biases of what being inner city poor is all about. It takes you to the white dock workers and shows how they meddle in criminal activity just to stay afloat (puns!). Like I said, the show does an excellent job at showing the structural problems of city life in the US. The show isn't pro-criminal/anti-criminal, pro-cop/anti-cop. It shows the positives and negatives of each. It shows you from the perspective of a cop (McNulty) who is actually trying to make a difference in the city, who doesn't view being a cop as a job but as a way to reach out the community. He is an idealist.

x0x wrote:
The Shield really conveyed to my emotions in how they handled many of the criminals. The Wire is more " this is life...it sucks ".

I have never seen the shield but life does suck in the inner city. I never grew up in the inner city but I went to school there and I did a lot of community work/worked in politics in the city. Every day is a struggle. Trying to stay out of trouble, trying to find work, trying to get an education are do not come easy. You are surround by despair at a very young age and you are very influential at that age. Your family is struggling to put food on the table, so you turn to selling drugs (directly or indirectly) in order to help them. To do this you join a gang, in the gang you follow the mob mentality (see Lord of the Flies) and just fall down a slippery slope. No person looks to be a criminal or a born criminal but your community can shape the way you are or who you will become. It is very hard at that tender age to go against the grain.

Another very good piece on the inner city is Boyz N' the Hood. Show you two different perspectives, one who has a father who values education. The other who is fatherless who has no moral ground.

/end of rant
teamorange

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devils1854 wrote:
All this talk made me throw season 1 in. Gonna see how far I can get.

Me too, before bed I am going to throw in a season two (I find one an introduction to everything and can be skipped after seeing it once). One episode will be two, two will be three and I am going to be a cranky person at work tomorrow.
ravens_rool28

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This question was just posted on The Wire's FB, but think it could generate some nice dicussion here

If you could be one character from The Wire, who would you be and why?

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Muy Oheribble

Mossburg

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravens_rool28 wrote:
This question was just posted on The Wire's FB, but think it could generate some nice dicussion here

Probably Daniels. He's been my favorite character since that scene where he met Clay Davis in Burrell's office. I admire people who don't play politics and want to get real results.

EFF YOUR FANTASY TEAM, I HOPE YOU LOSE

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Mark Twain
Mossburg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Speaking of which, anyone else find Carcetti's story the most depressing? Even if a dude really tries to make a difference, the system is so messed up that in the end he either has to say eff it and quit (like Daniels and McNulty did) or become another cog in the machine (like Carcetti did).

RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finished the show Tuesday in like ~3 weeks.

Really great show, I cant decide which season I like the most, but season 5 with McNulty is just so messed up, I think it's hilarious.

Stringer might actually be my favorite character, I was a bit annoyed by Avon macho BS in season 3.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
roger murdock

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravens_rool28 wrote:

Carver. I think hes happy, a good person, and with a bright future where he will make a positive difference in the world.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:
^^^ Speaking of which, anyone else find Carcetti's story the most depressing? Even if a dude really tries to make a difference, the system is so messed up that in the end he either has to say eff it and quit (like Daniels and McNulty did) or become another cog in the machine (like Carcetti did).

I learned more about politics from this series than I ever did in class or the real world. Carcetti truly wants to change the system only to learn that no matter what he does, his actual job as Mayor is to eat the next bowl of schit. The system will never allow a difference to be made regardless of the merits of the man.

Amari Cooper for Heisman - 87 rec. 1303 yds, 11 TDs
khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thrILL! wrote:
Mossburg wrote:

I learned more about politics from this series than I ever did in class or the real world. Carcetti truly wants to change the system only to learn that no matter what he does, his actual job as Mayor is to eat the next bowl of schit. The system will never allow a difference to be made regardless of the merits of the man.

He also killed himself at time too though. He could not swallow his ego to make deals that would better his city if it might hurt his chance of becoming Governor. On the bright side he did learn how to play the game pretty well later on in the piece though.

Conductor of the Keith Wenning bandwagon.
Zach Hodges is a 1st Round Pick in 2015.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember after the first disk of season 1, I was gonna stop watching because I was kind of bored. Wasnt bad but didnt draw me in.

Thank God I got horribly sick and decided to stick with it. Laughing

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
JonnyQuest

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

khodder wrote:
I tend to be in the minority that my favorite season is the second. That and the fourth are the best to me the 3rd next, followed by the first and then the fifth.

All seasons have the good points though, some just have more than others, and Nick Sobotka's girlfriend provided some upside to season 2.

But overall season two is so well written and it was such a huge leap for the show to take. It introduced us to the biggest criminal in the entire show in "The Greek", and it is no mistake that he is also one of the characters that is shown the least. It highlights his spot in the background.

All my friends quit on The Wire because of season 2. They did not find the plotline of the docks interesting. I have to admit you do have to get past the first couple episodes before the season picks up, but I'm with you, season 2 was my favorite as well.

Falcons. O's. Wizards. Caps.
Mossburg

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd is also my fav season. The acting by the port guys is superb. Frank is probably my 2nd fav character after Daniels.

khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonnyQuest wrote:
khodder wrote:
I tend to be in the minority that my favorite season is the second. That and the fourth are the best to me the 3rd next, followed by the first and then the fifth.

All seasons have the good points though, some just have more than others, and Nick Sobotka's girlfriend provided some upside to season 2.

But overall season two is so well written and it was such a huge leap for the show to take. It introduced us to the biggest criminal in the entire show in "The Greek", and it is no mistake that he is also one of the characters that is shown the least. It highlights his spot in the background.

All my friends quit on The Wire because of season 2. They did not find the plotline of the docks interesting. I have to admit you do have to get past the first couple episodes before the season picks up, but I'm with you, season 2 was my favorite as well.

I would also say the second season got so much better on the second watch.

ravens_rool28

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mossburg wrote:
ravens_rool28 wrote:

Probably Daniels. He's been my favorite character since that scene where he met Clay Davis in Burrell's office. I admire people who don't play politics and want to get real results.

This was my fisrt choice as well. He made a positive difference his entire career, and even after his career as a police he still ends up with a career that makes positive difference. Plus, he didn't have to take a bunch of BS to do so, cept when the feds took over the investigation IIRC.

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
Muy Oheribble

khodder

Moderator - MVP
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravens_rool28 wrote:
Mossburg wrote:
ravens_rool28 wrote:

This was my fisrt choice as well. He made a positive difference his entire career, and even after his career as a police he still ends up with a career that makes positive difference. Plus, he didn't have to take a bunch of BS to do so, cept when the feds took over the investigation IIRC.

But he was not immune to getting caught up in it all, especially earlier in his career in the Eastern. Part of the reason Daniels goes nuts on Herc and Carver when he thinks they stole the money is becasue of what he has done in the past.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: