Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Birdsfan's Best Films of 2012 *1-2*
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BirdsFan06050

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Birdsfan's Best Films of 2012 *1-2* Reply with quote

Before heading back to school I figured I'd post and discuss what I feel are this year's very best films. The year began with a lot of promise for sure given that so many big name filmmakers were set to release their new projects in 2012, although I'm still trying to grasp whether or not it has lived up to the initial hype and buildup. Some of my most anticipated films ended up as my favorites of the year. Others unfortunately went up in flames.

The following are films in contention for selection;

Haywire
The Grey
Safe House
21 Jump Street
Hunger Games
Moonrise Kindgom
The Dictator
The Amazing Spider-Man
Men in Black III
The Avengers
Prometheus
Dark Knight Rises
The Campaign
To Rome with Love
Ted
The Watch
Bourne Legacy
Premium Rush
Lawless
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Celeste and Jess Forever
Magic Mike
Cosmopolis
The Master
Looper
Argo
Flight
Skyfall
Perks of Being a Wallflower
Man with the Iron Fists
Wreck-it-Ralph
The Sessions
Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 2
Lincoln
Silver Linings Playbook
Killing Them Softly
Life of Pi
This is 40
Django Unchained
Les Miserables
Amour
The Impossible
Zero Dark Thirty

There are obviously some films I wanted to see that I haven't gotten around to yet, but I've seen enough to compile a sound list IMO.

Enjoy.
"There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows; and the book says we may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."

Last edited by BirdsFan06050 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:00 pm; edited 6 times in total
as11osu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait. I'm pretty certain about the top couple, but the rest of this mess will interest me as to where you place them. I don't envy you trying to break down the varied flaws in this years upper tier.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yes. Few people have tastes as similar to mine as you do, so needless to say I can't wait to see what's in store. I think you've seen most of the bigger films, so your list should be thorough. That said, there are two or three films in my current top ten that didn't make your viewed list.

animaltested wrote:
On a scale from Kitten to Hitler, being close minded about music, and only listening to one or two genres is about a Boss Tweed.
BirdsFan06050

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keysersoze3421 wrote:
Hell yes. Few people have tastes as similar to mine as you do, so needless to say I can't wait to see what's in store. I think you've seen most of the bigger films, so your list should be thorough. That said, there are two or three films in my current top ten that didn't make your viewed list.

Not too surprising. I'll be the first to admit that I haven't seen too many of the year's most acclaimed true independent films. Haven't seen any documentaries either unfortunately.
"There are stories of coincidence and chance, of intersections and strange things told, and which is which and who only knows; and the book says we may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us."
keysersoze3421

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just curious to see whether Cosmopolis will be #1 or #2.

animaltested wrote:
On a scale from Kitten to Hitler, being close minded about music, and only listening to one or two genres is about a Boss Tweed.
BirdsFan06050

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keysersoze3421 wrote:
I'm just curious to see whether Cosmopolis will be #1 or #2.

Damn, how did you know? Laughing
BirdsFan06050

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First set of films;

15. Wreck-it-Ralph [Moore]

By embracing the creative and imaginative element of video games, the film manages to please both kids and adults alike with its smart humor. On the whole, I had a blast and joyful experience being entrenched into the film's arcade universe. It didn't hurt that I throughly enjoyed its plethora of game references and appealing animation to boot. Easily my favorite animated movie of the year.

14. Argo [Affleck]

Some of my friends insist that this deserves elite status, and while I liked it a good deal overall, I didn't find it to be this suspenseful, on the edge of your seat experience that so many critics have made it out to be. I also have a problem with the fact that Canada's role in this whole ordeal was sort of brushed aside as a miniscule after thought. Nevertheless, it was another solid entry into Affleck's ever growing resume. Arkin and Goodman were golden as a Hollywood producer and make-up artists respectively. They really stole the show every time they were on screen.

13. Skyfall [Mendes]

Mendes' take on the Bond saga puts the franchise back on track, receiving grandiose reviews and adore from critics and audiences alike. Strong action sequences are a plenty, but unlike Quantum of Solace, the plot and characters always take center stage. It's one of the most entertaining and well-done efforts the iconic franchise has ever produced, featuring a refreshing take on Bond's character, played with ferocity once again by Daniel Craig.

12. The Perks of Being a Wallflower [Chbosky]

Just saw this the other day actually and came away rather impressed. It's an honest, emotional exploration of the pressures and loneliness often associated with adolescence, as well as a celebration of the bonds of friendship. I think perhaps the films most affective element was its ability to get the viewer to care about its central three characters, especially Charlie and Patrick, with the latter being portrayed with conviction and flair by Ezra Miller. It's rare for an author to get the opportunity to adapt and direct his own novel, but the results here are certainly more good than bad.

11. Looper [Johnson]

What I loved most about this film was its sheer originality, and we've come to almost expect that from writer/director Rian Johnson. Bolstering a formidable cast, there's plenty of action here too, which makes this sci-fi all the more thrilling. Don't get me wrong though. It's often a stimulating experience thanks to its sharp screenplay, and, more importantly, it deals with the challenges and issues of time travel better than most films I've seen on the subject, if not all for that matter. An all-around unique, smart, and entertaining film that just misses the cut into the final ten.
as11osu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disappointed to see Perks and Skyfall so low. Those were two of my favorite moviegoing experiences of the year.

I'll have to check out Wreck-it-Ralph before it leaves theaters. Yay old school video games.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as11osu wrote:
Disappointed to see Perks and Skyfall so low. Those were two of my favorite moviegoing experiences of the year.

I'll have to check out Wreck-it-Ralph before it leaves theaters. Yay old school video games.

Was Argo your favorite from that batch?

animaltested wrote:
He Hate Me

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keysersoze3421 wrote:

lol I remember you and Birds used to beef.

Looking forward to this. I miss seeing these lists being posted. Seems like all of the film buff writers stopped writing on here.

Props to Eggy
keysersoze3421

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, wasn't really beef. It was just me being a [inappropriate/removed] I think.

animaltested wrote:
El ramster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keysersoze3421 wrote:
Haha, wasn't really beef. It was just me being a [inappropriate/removed] I think.

you're a patriot fanatico no?

What a dammm shame that Lotus is so slow!

In the top 5 for me in the year of 2012.

BBL
as11osu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keysersoze3421 wrote:
as11osu wrote:

Was Argo your favorite from that batch?

Not so much.

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to rent Argo when it's possible, haven't seen Ralph, but the other 3 I've seen.

Can't wait for the rest of the list.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
BirdsFan06050

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He Hate Me wrote:
keysersoze3421 wrote:

lol I remember you and Birds used to beef.

Looking forward to this. I miss seeing these lists being posted. Seems like all of the film buff writers stopped writing on here.

Haha those were the days.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Entertainment All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: