Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steelers lose 3rd round pick LB Sean Spence to torn ACL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Estonianzulu

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap. This means the Steelers are going to win the Super Bowl
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really bad luck for the steelers draft picks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:
Time to re-evaluate that medical staff?

I swear you just make comments looking for a reaction.

How so? That's 2 rookies out of the top 3 rounds that have suffered some serious injuries.

Could it be something their doctors miss while checking out prospects at the combine / their own workouts?

When a LT falls on DeCastro's knee and it bends the wrong way, that isnt the medical staffs fault. I didnt see the Spence play but I can assume it was pretty gross looking. It would be time to re-evaluate the medical/training staff if the players were consistantly pulling hamstrings. Not fluke knee injuries.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this has nothing to do with the Steelers medical staff...

As one post said, the Steelers have plenty of depth at LB. The defense will be fine, still sucks for both the rookies, though.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:

How so? That's 2 rookies out of the top 3 rounds that have suffered some serious injuries.

Could it be something their doctors miss while checking out prospects at the combine / their own workouts?

Everything you say about the Steelers is either ignorant or derogatory.

Thats how so.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya boy hollywud wrote:
Yeah, this has nothing to do with the Steelers medical staff...

As one post said, the Steelers have plenty of depth at LB. The defense will be fine, still sucks for both the rookies, though.

Not at ILB.

After Foote and Timmons we have Stevenson Sylvester....thats it really.
The Cryptkeeper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SaveourSonics wrote:
Let me first of all say that this is terrible news. Sean Spence is a player with terrific instincts and a great work ethic. It's really unfortunate that he has the 2012 season taken away from him.

With that said, I feel like Spence was going to bust regardless of the injury. Not saying you're expecting a ton from a 3rd round pick, but I think you do expect a future starter, and I don't think Spence every brought that potential to a football team. He displayed great instinctual football at Miami, but he showed me in college that he was going to be easily washed away at the NFL level and would never really amount to anything. I was surprised he was drafted so high.

Agreed on all counts. I was surprised Pittsburgh picked him since Spence was more of a speed/instinct guy rather than your typical physical Pittsburgh 'backer. But maybe they wanted him because of that reason for coverage.

Either way, an LB who relies so much on his speed and athleticism tearing his knee up like that is brutal because he doesn't have the physicality to compensate if he slows down a couple of steps. Best of luck to him in his recovery, though.

Last edited by The Cryptkeeper on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Eagles_808

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
Really bad luck for the steelers draft picks

Yeah, I feel for these rooks. Best wishes to a full recovery for both DDC and Spence.
RainbowCarebear

Location: "Are you hungry, child?" Yes, she thought, but not for food.
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought it was an odd pick at the time, and next to Timmons still seems a tad much pass oriented.

But always sad to see rookies going down, especially since it's such a bad injury.

"Do you imagine Whoresbane loves you any better? If you did not hold the ..., he would pull out your entrails and make you eat them"
"In return, we swore that we should always be their men"
ShooterMcGavin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was such an ugly injury too. Hopefully he recovers well for next season as I see lot of potential in him. There's nothing we can do about it for this season though, so next man up.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JDLefebvre wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:
JDLefebvre wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:

Lol. So you saw neither play obviously.

I tend to not go out of my way to see injuries if I can help it. But I did see Decastro.

I'm talking more along the lines of the fact that maybe they miss-evaluated some players? After all, Decastro 'fell' in the eyes of the public during the draft.

If it's just two completely fluke plays, then it is unfortunate for the Steelers.

Spence is going to be a good linebacker in a few years IMO. He'll be like Timmons in that it'll take a couple of seasons under his belt to establish himself.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
LTF

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cryptkeeper wrote:
SaveourSonics wrote:
Let me first of all say that this is terrible news. Sean Spence is a player with terrific instincts and a great work ethic. It's really unfortunate that he has the 2012 season taken away from him.

With that said, I feel like Spence was going to bust regardless of the injury. Not saying you're expecting a ton from a 3rd round pick, but I think you do expect a future starter, and I don't think Spence every brought that potential to a football team. He displayed great instinctual football at Miami, but he showed me in college that he was going to be easily washed away at the NFL level and would never really amount to anything. I was surprised he was drafted so high.

Agreed on all counts. I was surprised Pittsburgh picked him since Spence was more of a speed/instinct guy rather than your typical physical Pittsburgh 'backer. But maybe they wanted him because of that reason for coverage.

Either way, an LB who relies so much on his speed and athleticism tearing his knee up like that is brutal because he doesn't have the physicality to compensate if he slows down a couple of steps. Best of luck to him in his recovery, though.

Definitely understand the criticism, as I wasn't a big fan of the pick either, but Spence had been playing quite well this preseason. Was working at both the buck and mack and was flashing the same instincts he showed in college.
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:
If it's just two completely fluke plays, then it is unfortunate for the Steelers.

They were fluke plays that unfortunately happen.

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LTF wrote:
The Cryptkeeper wrote:
SaveourSonics wrote:

Definitely understand the criticism, as I wasn't a big fan of the pick either, but Spence had been playing quite well this preseason. Was working at both the buck and mack and was flashing the same instincts he showed in college.

I don't understand the criticism, myself. Farrior played the Buck last year with similar, if not, less "stout" measurables and he didn't get "washed away" in the NFL. I'm in no way saying that he WILL succeed in the NFL, but how does one say that he has great instincts and yet will "bust" in the NFL. He's plenty physical. He does lack great athleticism, but a dude that is 5'11" 231 while short, he is stout. He's shown in preseason that he actually does play pretty well in open space, he will just need to learn to shed blocks better. He wasn't going to start this year, as LBs rarely ever do in our D, but he should be able to develop in a couple of years.

Anyway, I'm "droning" at this point, but he was drafted in the round he was projected to go, so not sure why bottom of 3rd Rd is surprising and how someone can be so confident that "he wouldn't really amount to anything" in the NFL.

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!
ima_boss

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad that two of my favorite players in all the draft are done for the year. Hope they recover quickly and fully.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: