Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Derek Stephens Seahawks Draft Board Matrix
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clubmember

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Derek Stephens Seahawks Draft Board Matrix Reply with quote

Quote:
Seahawks Draft Board (Horizontal Matrix)

Okay Seahawks Fans…

Davis Hsu and I have created a new way to track the draft, by implementing what we call the “Seahawks Draft Matrix”. This is, of course, version 1.0.

Here’s the rub:

We’ve determined grades and rankings for draft-able players at each offensive and defensive position, and then contrasted those grades and rankings to existing Seahawks players, so as to emphasize which draft prospects could potentially upgrade current Seahawks players.

There are a few things to note:

Blue highlighted players are existing Seahawks players
Red highlighted players are existing Seahawks players for which Seattle only has one year of contract retention
Any draft prospect with an asterisk (*) next to the name is an Underclassman

How to use the Matrix:

Click on the image below.
Right Click on the PDF file that opens, and select “save as”.
Name the file and save it to your computer.
Print it off
Track the draft by crossing off each selection

As for the grades:
These grades have been determined by myself after viewing substantial tape on the prospects listed. You can click on our “Prospect Rankings” Tab above at the top of this page, to find analysis on a good number of the players included on this matrix. We weren’t able to post analysis on every player on the board, but we did publish scouting notes on a good chunk of them.

I hope you enjoy it.
imani

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea, and intriguing results. Mothing seemed too far off....until i scrolled down to brandon mebane. Too low

wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

Russell Wilson Fan since July 2012
SoS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the breakdown. When I look at this it becomes more and more clear that we are going to go OL with our first pick. I would LOVE for Justin Pugh to fall to us, but I'm betting he'll be a 1st rounder. Would be an exceptional guard for us.

I really like how high they graded out Hugh Thornton and Omoregie Uzzi, both guys I really like. Wouldn't mind either guy, though I don't know about the 3rd round. They would definitely be upgrades on what we have though.
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really not getting how Irvin and Wright are 3rd rounders?

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
imani

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
Really not getting how Irvin and Wright are 3rd rounders?

It's the grading system, .0-.9 for each round. Bane should be a late first at worst

EDIT: KJ Wright is on there twice....

wwhickok wrote:
I don't believe for one second that Seattle makes it out of their first playoff game.

moomin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually agree with their ratings of irvin and mebane.

also isnt the kj wright rating on their twice for his ability at the 2 different positions?
SoS

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

moomin wrote:
also isnt the kj wright rating on their twice for his ability at the 2 different positions?

That's how I interpreted it.
clubmember

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

imani wrote:
Nice idea, and intriguing results. Mothing seemed too far off....until i scrolled down to brandon mebane. Too low

Derek Stephens is legit... I don't doubt him. And he isn't ranked too bad, about an early 2nd is what he's ranked. Could be worse.

Anyways, I really liked it. I see he's editing it too. Started out with Earl Thomas as a solid 8, moved him down to 7.9. Still good enough for best player on the team Smile I love Earl, I feel like when he's gone our pass coverage will suck and then we will fully appreciate Earl. He's a little underrated around here due to low INT numbers I can only assume...
Tatupu_64

Location: Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has Mebane below Short. Straight up, that's garbage. No offense to him Laughing

His defensive rankings are just far too simplified

ram29jackson wrote:
LO freaking L...Seahawks aren't repeating crap and you can book that
clubmember

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tatupu_64 wrote:
He has Mebane below Short. Straight up, that's garbage. No offense to him Laughing

The cool thing about this chart is that the Hawks have stated this is how they draft....Grade the players on the roster and draft the biggest upgrade.

And also, I hate to break it to you because you obviously strongly disagree, but Mebane isn't THAT good. There's a reason our run D and pass rush struggled so greatly down the road.
Tooki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pen15clubmember wrote:
And also, I hate to break it to you because you obviously strongly disagree, but Mebane isn't THAT good. There's a reason our run D and pass rush struggled so greatly down the road.

Yeah...no. The problem with the Run-D is that the LDE (Red Bryant) is the key cog in the system and is supposed to command a double-team on every play in the base package. He struggled with that (due to his lingering injury) and it affected the rest of the Front-7. Also, the LB's (especially Bobby Wagner) were inconsistent with their gap recognition and it led to backs getting through the Front-7 with ease.

That is the one thing that we missed with losing David Hawthorne. He was very very consistent with hitting the right gap in the run-game.
Pie Romania

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pen15clubmember wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:

The cool thing about this chart is that the Hawks have stated this is how they draft....Grade the players on the roster and draft the biggest upgrade.

Mebane is one of the most underrated players on our team. I can't speak bad about him because year in and year out he is always there having an impact, even if the stat sheet doesn't show it. He doesn't have off the field problems, he doesn't run his mouth away from the field. The guy is a professional in every sense of the word. It's a shame that so many people I speak to take what he does on the field for granted.
clubmember

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pie Romania wrote:
pen15clubmember wrote:
Tatupu_64 wrote:

Mebane is one of the most underrated players on our team. I can't speak bad about him because year in and year out he is always there having an impact, even if the stat sheet doesn't show it. He doesn't have off the field problems, he doesn't run his mouth away from the field. The guy is a professional in every sense of the word. It's a shame that so many people I speak to take what he does on the field for granted.

I think he's good, I just don't think he's a superstar. I get that every forum has it's mancrushes (On my old forum, the mancrushes were Russell Wilson on offense and Earl on defense. It shows sometimes), but I honestly don't think any of you guys have watched as much tape as Derek Stephens has... No offense meant, I don't either. If Mebane continued his early 2012 play, then I'd be comfortable calling him elite, but he tailed off every since the early portion of the season... And it wasn't just Red Bryant (probably due to his Plantar Fasciatis). Our run defense just turned into a pile of crap. I will admit though that losing Hawthorne hurts as he did hit the holes better in run defense than Wagner, who guesses wrong sometimes. Wagner does defend the perimeters better though, and I love his pass coverage.
Tooki

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have watched the team play for the better part of 8 years. I watched Frank Gore run through holes that were caused by the LB not hitting the right gap (with Bobby Wagner being the big blame here, Leroy Hill second) and letting Gore go straight through to the secondary with ease. Remember that game when Frank Gore got over 200 on the ground? Oh wait, Brandon Mebane was injured!

I also remember David Hawthorne plugging similar plays with ease and preventing the back from getting into the second level. Bobby Wagner guessed the gaps incorrectly quite a bit, but he did improve over the season.
imani

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mebane is still a top 5 player on this team, period. This defense would fall off a cliff if anything ever happened to him

wwhickok wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Seattle Seahawks All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: