Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jaguars RB Maurice Jones Drew ends holdout, returns to team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
green24

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucsfan333 wrote:
I love when the player loses in the end. I wish the Jets had the same balls as the Jags.

The Jets gave Revis a band-aid contract. It's not like they gave him the crazy contract he was looking for.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad meets Evil wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
spilltray wrote:
ukjets21 wrote:
I'm glad they cleared his fines, but he really deserves to be paid by the Jaguars. More than anyone else I can think of he earned a contract.

I completely disagree with all of that. When he signed his old deal he was paid as one of the upper tier RBs in the league before he had really earned that. The payoff for getting that kind of money up front is that at some point the team catches a break too. MJD decided to throw a temper tantrum and hurt his team by refusing to come to TC trying to force them to get a new deal. That deserves the fines.

That isnt on MJD though, that is on the Jags, who gave him a good deal. MJD shouldnt feel obligated to do the Jags a favor if he feels underpaid, which he is for 2012 and 2013. If MJD suffers the same injury that Peterson did last year, he wont ever see a long term contract the rest of his career.

At the end of the day, MJD caved. If he truly wanted a new deal, he probably would have been better off sitting for a couple weeks and seeing how the Jags offense is looking and if the Jags budge.

How is this on the Jags? The Jags shouldn't feel obligated to rip up a contract with 2 years left.

Its eventually going to have to be addressed. After this year anyway, he will be on a one year deal and a RB in their mid to late 20s who are still elite generally cant afford to play on one year deals.

I understand the sentiment that MJD still had two years on his current deal, but the reality is, the Jags will have to give him a new contract. May as well address the issue now than potentially alienate the teams best player. Or perhaps the Jags simply dont want MJD as part of their long term future, which if the case, why the heck have they not traded him yet for draft picks while his value is still high and contract is still favorable for a trade. Sure a new team would then have to give MJD a new contract, but you have to believe there would be a market for an elite RB with 3-5 years left of prime football.
carnageehw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJD doesn't really seem to get that the rb position just isn't valuable any more. Also ,he might have had a decent chance at renewing NEXT year, as alot of teams will renegotiate in the last year, to keep the player out of free agency.

As it is, he's made a bad impression with the new regime, and will likley have a pretty crappy year ( if history has anything to say) hurting his chances for a better deal.

I don;t blame players for holding out (Javon Walker, anyone?), but this didn;t really make ANY logical sense.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes plenty of logical sense. RBs shelf life is outrageously short so when players at that position see an opportunity to cash out I say take it. MJD has outplayed his contract to this point and I think he's due a raise (or at least bonuses) for leading the league in rushing. He has maybe 8 years of prime play in this league before he can barely make a couple million a season.
Bad meets Evil

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Bad meets Evil wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
spilltray wrote:
ukjets21 wrote:
I'm glad they cleared his fines, but he really deserves to be paid by the Jaguars. More than anyone else I can think of he earned a contract.

I completely disagree with all of that. When he signed his old deal he was paid as one of the upper tier RBs in the league before he had really earned that. The payoff for getting that kind of money up front is that at some point the team catches a break too. MJD decided to throw a temper tantrum and hurt his team by refusing to come to TC trying to force them to get a new deal. That deserves the fines.

That isnt on MJD though, that is on the Jags, who gave him a good deal. MJD shouldnt feel obligated to do the Jags a favor if he feels underpaid, which he is for 2012 and 2013. If MJD suffers the same injury that Peterson did last year, he wont ever see a long term contract the rest of his career.

At the end of the day, MJD caved. If he truly wanted a new deal, he probably would have been better off sitting for a couple weeks and seeing how the Jags offense is looking and if the Jags budge.

How is this on the Jags? The Jags shouldn't feel obligated to rip up a contract with 2 years left.

Its eventually going to have to be addressed. After this year anyway, he will be on a one year deal and a RB in their mid to late 20s who are still elite generally cant afford to play on one year deals.

I understand the sentiment that MJD still had two years on his current deal, but the reality is, the Jags will have to give him a new contract. May as well address the issue now than potentially alienate the teams best player. Or perhaps the Jags simply dont want MJD as part of their long term future, which if the case, why the heck have they not traded him yet for draft picks while his value is still high and contract is still favorable for a trade. Sure a new team would then have to give MJD a new contract, but you have to believe there would be a market for an elite RB with 3-5 years left of prime football.

We aren't alienating our best player, he alienated the whole team by doing this. He just met Mularkey for the first time today.

I doubt he is in the Jaguars long-term plans, I mean how can he? It sucks but, running backs have a short shelf life and they normally drop off fast. A trade is out of the question too, no one is giving a 2nd round pick for a rb who wants a new contract. He is worth more to the Jags than we would get in a trade.

I don't think he has 3-5 years either, I'd say it's more like 2-3 years of prime football left.

Credit to IPwn for da sig
High Octane

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to have him back, but I was really looking forward to seeing what Rashad Jennings can do as the teams starter this year. Oh well. Football wise, it's great that he's back.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to see if we have a 2-headed monster. 1 probably wont be back next year i'd assume

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad meets Evil wrote:
We aren't alienating our best player, he alienated the whole team by doing this. He just met Mularkey for the first time today.

I doubt he is in the Jaguars long-term plans, I mean how can he? It sucks but, running backs have a short shelf life and they normally drop off fast. A trade is out of the question too, no one is giving a 2nd round pick for a rb who wants a new contract. He is worth more to the Jags than we would get in a trade.

I don't think he has 3-5 years either, I'd say it's more like 2-3 years of prime football left.

True, MJD did more to alienate himself than the the Jags doing anything, regardless, he isn't happy.

I think MJD will be productive a bit longer than most backs since he shared carries for a bulk of his early career. I think he can be a strong player in his early 30s. He hasnt suffered a bad injury yet and seems to take care of himself.

A 3rd round pick is still substantially better than nothing, to me it doesnt matter if I am losing "value" for a player like MJD because if you truly feel MJD doesnt have much future after his two year deal is up, your going to get more long-term value from that added 3rd rd pick. I would put his value at a mid to late 2nd rd pick if the Jag tried to trade him as what they could likely get.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Bad meets Evil wrote:

True, MJD did more to alienate himself than the the Jags doing anything, regardless, he isn't happy.

I think MJD will be productive a bit longer than most backs since he shared carries for a bulk of his early career. I think he can be a strong player in his early 30s. He hasnt suffered a bad injury yet and seems to take care of himself.

A 3rd round pick is still substantially better than nothing, to me it doesnt matter if I am losing "value" for a player like MJD because if you truly feel MJD doesnt have much future after his two year deal is up, your going to get more long-term value from that added 3rd rd pick. I would put his value at a mid to late 2nd rd pick if the Jag tried to trade him as what they could likely get.

I'm honestly not sure what the market is now. Holdouts tend to suck their first year back

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJD is on board the Khan train.

I hate the Jaguars
snkhd09

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I wish I had drafted him yesterday when he slipped out of the first two rounds due to his holdout.
FutureViking09

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On one hand I understand players having to play out their contracts. On the other hand, I can understand them trying to get as much value as they can for themselves. Everyone cries foul when a player holds out but has no problem when a team cuts a player and "upgrades/moves on". It's a business for both. And a cut-throat business at that.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TitanSlim wrote:
Welp, that didn't go as planned for MJD.

Like Mike Wallace, he at least accomplished missing training camp and preseason.
Canadian_Patriot

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone worrying about him sucking all year, or not being near what he was last year. Remember, he only got on the field for week 4 of the pre-season last year because of his knee injury. He'll get a full week of practice this week, and limited work vs Minnesota. But I'd be he'll be trucking at 20 carries a game come week two and finish as a top 5 RB again this year.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DirtyDez

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were the Jags ever listening to trade offers? Gotta think they would've been able to get a couple 1st's. MJD is an elite RB after all.

The Rebuild Has Begun...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: