Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jaguars RB Maurice Jones Drew ends holdout, returns to team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:
Were the Jags ever listening to trade offers? Gotta think they would've been able to get a couple 1st's. MJD is an elite RB after all.
Probably not multiple 1sts. Maybe a 1st at best. Most likely a 2nd plus some.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
tom cody

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No surprise really. I disagree with all these holdouts, you sign a contract you should stick to it. MJD's a great player but she should have shown more character and not have held out at all.
IDOG_det

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom cody wrote:
No surprise really. I disagree with all these holdouts, you sign a contract you should stick to it. MJD's a great player but she should have shown more character and not have held out at all.
Compltely agree. Be happy you get any money.
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #1: Eric Ebron
2014 Adopt-A-Lion #2: Martin Mayhew

R.I.P. Stylish
theJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
tom cody wrote:

That's so wrong. If all the players took that approach, management would pay them pennies.

The team looks out for their best interest, and so should the player. It's business. The fact that people (fans) criticize player holdouts is appalling to me. And don't give me the "he signed the contract, he should abide by it". Baloney. The team signs the contract too, and they don't have to abide by it when they ask (read: force) players to restructure it in a bad way. They also don't abide by it when they cut players early. The contracts aren't guaranteed.

SMH at the hypocrites and people that don't understand the business side of football...

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
YlionsY

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
IDOG_det wrote:
tom cody wrote:

That's so wrong. If all the players took that approach, management would pay them pennies.

The team looks out for their best interest, and so should the player. It's business. The fact that people (fans) criticize player holdouts is appalling to me. And don't give me the "he signed the contract, he should abide by it". Baloney. The team signs the contract too, and they don't have to abide by it when they ask (read: force) players to restructure it in a bad way. They also don't abide by it when they cut players early. The contracts aren't guaranteed.

SMH at the hypocrites and people that don't understand the business side of football...

I agree with this. I don't hate on or disagree with MJD for what he did.
YlionsY

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IDOG_det wrote:
DirtyDez wrote:
Were the Jags ever listening to trade offers? Gotta think they would've been able to get a couple 1st's. MJD is an elite RB after all.
Probably not multiple 1sts. Maybe a 1st at best. Most likely a 2nd plus some.

Were there any reported trades possibilities outside of mere speculation?
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
The team signs the contract too, and they don't have to abide by it when they ask (read: force) players to restructure it in a bad way. They also don't abide by it when they cut players early. The contracts aren't guaranteed.
If that isn't abiding by the contract, then what is? The contract says that the team doesn't have to pay the entire length of the deal, that's why it's not all guaranteed.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
iPwn

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DirtyDez wrote:
They wouldn't have gotten that for him. That's ridiculously high. They were apparently picking up the phones when a few offers came in, but just to listen, as they had no intention of ever trading him.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley
theJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
theJ wrote:
The team signs the contract too, and they don't have to abide by it when they ask (read: force) players to restructure it in a bad way. They also don't abide by it when they cut players early. The contracts aren't guaranteed.
If that isn't abiding by the contract, then what is? The contract says that the team doesn't have to pay the entire length of the deal, that's why it's not all guaranteed.

MJD was also abiding by the contract by forfeiting pay for not reporting. That's the risk he took. Nothing wrong with that.

EDIT: Besides, just because the contract isn't guaranteed doesn't mean the team isn't breaking the contract by cutting the player. They're still breaking the contract. Fans just don't get up in arms because it's usually the result of poor play.

Fired-Up

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm dissapointed in a sense that Khan might be starting a trend. Packers General Manager would never break the bank for a RB, because he's not an idiot. He's paying Benson league minimum so we can lock up pass rusher Mathews, WR Jennings, OL and QB Rodgers. OMG, it's rocket science.

I loved the fact that RB's were cashing in. Guys like AP, CJ, Forte, cashing in and breaking the bank. Showing up out of shape. Getting injured. Getting older. Sucking up cap. It's great for my team. I mean AP has crippled the Vikings for years. I love it. Damn you Khan. LOL.

I was hoping this ridiculuos over paying of RB's would continue.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fired-Up wrote:
I'm dissapointed in a sense that Khan might be starting a trend. Packers General Manager would never break the bank for a RB, because he's not an idiot. He's paying Benson league minimum so we can lock up pass rusher Mathews, WR Jennings, OL and QB Rodgers. OMG, it's rocket science.

I loved the fact that RB's were cashing in. Guys like AP, CJ, Forte, cashing in and breaking the bank. Showing up out of shape. Getting injured. Getting older. Sucking up cap. It's great for my team. I mean AP has crippled the Vikings for years. I love it. Damn you Khan. LOL.

Where do you get that idea?
theJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vikefan79 wrote:
Fired-Up wrote:

Yeah i don't get that. Not having a capable QB has crippled the Vikings.

Fired-Up

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theJ wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
Fired-Up wrote:

They aren't going to be able to replentish the aging defense because AP is sucking up cap. If Ponder develops and becomes good he will need to be paid. I don't know if I can articulate it beautifully. Long story short, you have a RB sucking up cap. That is bad.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fired-Up wrote:
theJ wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
Fired-Up wrote:

They aren't going to be able to replentish the aging defense because AP is sucking up cap. If Ponder develops and becomes good he will need to be paid. I don't know if I can articulate it beautifully. Long story short, you have a RB sucking up cap. That is bad.

The Vikings have never lost a player they wanted to resign due to cap issues since Rob Brzezinski has been our vice president. He's one of the best cap strategists in the NFL. Hell he told the NFL about the poison pill before the NFL knew about it and because they sat around for years and did nothing about it he used it to steal Steve Hutchinson from the Seahawks. Peterson isn't holding this team back in any way.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fired-Up wrote:
theJ wrote:
Vikefan79 wrote:
Fired-Up wrote:

And MN has 20-30+ million dollars in cap space heading into next year. MN is one of the youngest teams in the league and has a lot of team friendly deals and have cut a lot of deadweight salary.

Peterson isnt preventing the Vikings from having a QB and by the time Ponder needs a new deal, if he deserves one, the circumstances will be completely different.

And how do the Vikes have an "old" defense? That comment literally makes no sense. Everyone in the Vikes secondary is under 25 years old, except for Winfield, who is the nickel CB. The Vikes have two young LBs starting in Henderson and Brinkley and Greenway is still in his prime and not too old yet.

Robison is 29 at LE after being a reserve most of his career. Allen is 30, but DEs who are elite have proven to play well into there mid 30s if they so choose. At DT, Kevin Williams is the only player who has seen his age catch up with him. Guion is a first year starter at NT.

Again, minus Kevin Williams and Antoine Winfield, MN is very young defensively and even younger on offense.

What Peterson makes wont prevent the Vikes from resigning key players and it shouldnt hurt the Jags either.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: