Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jaguars RB Maurice Jones Drew ends holdout, returns to team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fired-Up

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just doesn't work out. Burning cap on RB's just doesn't work. It doesn't win games.
Vikefan79

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fired-Up wrote:
It just doesn't work out. Burning cap on RB's just doesn't work. It doesn't win games.

of course...how could I not see it. you are right.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fired-Up wrote:

A QB is what wins game. How does spending cap on a RB prevent a team from getting a QB?
snkhd09

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how that sentiment was expressed with absolute certainty as if it was black and white.
Fired-Up

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

snkhd09 wrote:
I like how that sentiment was expressed with absolute certainty as if it was black and white.

Because it's been 10+ years since a good RB won a super bowl. You'd have to go back all the way to Jamal Lewis.
snkhd09

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please refer to what vikingsrule said.
theJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fired-Up wrote:
snkhd09 wrote:

Because it's been 10+ years since a good RB won a super bowl. You'd have to go back all the way to Jamal Lewis.

You'd be pretty hard pressed to find a RB contract that's crippling a team. QB contracts are one thing, but RB contracts aren't that bad.

It takes more than one bad contract to hold a team back.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fired-Up wrote:
snkhd09 wrote:

Your avoiding the question. How does spending top dollar on a RB prevent a team from acquiring a QB. There is a $120+ million cap. I am not arguing with you the importance of a RB vs a QB, but for those teams who do spend on a RB, I want to know how it clearly cripples the team from getting the QB. That is what I want to hear answered. Examples would be nice.

The only real argument I think you could make in your favor is that an elite RB will win you some games, which may prevent a team from being poor enough to luck into a franchise QB. Otherwise, most franchise QBs are drafted by the team they play for so a RB's presence isnt going to prevent the team from drafting a QB if one is available. Further, if that franchise QB deserves a new contract, a team will find a way to keep that QB and that star RB with a 120+ million cap.

Again, I am not arguing the merit of a QBs value vs a RBs value, clearly everyone realizes that QB is above all, but why cant a team have both (star RB and eventual franchise QB). We saw in 2009 that an elite RB coupled with a great to elite passing game is a recipe for success (save for that QB throwing a dumb Int, that RB fumbling at crucial times and there being a bounty). For MN unfortunately, they only got one year of an elite passing game since 2007.
Fired-Up

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Fired-Up wrote:
snkhd09 wrote:

Your avoiding the question. How does spending top dollar on a RB prevent a team from acquiring a QB. There is a $120+ million cap. I am not arguing with you the importance of a RB vs a QB, but for those teams who do spend on a RB, I want to know how it clearly cripples the team from getting the QB. That is what I want to hear answered. Examples would be nice.

The only real argument I think you could make in your favor is that an elite RB will win you some games, which may prevent a team from being poor enough to luck into a franchise QB. Otherwise, most franchise QBs are drafted by the team they play for so a RB's presence isnt going to prevent the team from drafting a QB if one is available. Further, if that franchise QB deserves a new contract, a team will find a way to keep that QB and that star RB with a 120+ million cap.

Again, I am not arguing the merit of a QBs value vs a RBs value, clearly everyone realizes that QB is above all, but why cant a team have both (star RB and eventual franchise QB). We saw in 2009 that an elite RB coupled with a great to elite passing game is a recipe for success (save for that QB throwing a dumb Int, that RB fumbling at crucial times and there being a bounty). For MN unfortunately, they only got one year of an elite passing game since 2007.

Because it hasn't worked. Teams that build around RB's do not win. It's the reality of the NFL. AP big deal. Vikings are fried. They suck. CJ, big deal. He sucked and the Titans suck. Shaun Alexander. Screwed the Seahawks.
theJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fired-Up wrote:
Because it hasn't worked. Teams that build around RB's do not win. It's the reality of the NFL. AP big deal. Vikings are fried. They suck. CJ, big deal. He sucked and the Titans suck. Shaun Alexander. Screwed the Seahawks.

Correlation =/= causation. You're going to have to provide a much better argument than that before you win anyone over. As far as i'm concerned, you just said if the team's ball boy was over the age of 13 the QB couldn't throw 30 TD's.

Let's see some better arguments before we say that a better player doesn't make a team better.

Don't follow your passion, take your passion with you.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fired-Up wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Fired-Up wrote:
snkhd09 wrote:

but the Vikes showed that they are an elite team with the combo of an elite QB and RB. Address that. Sure it was a one year deal, but if that elite QB was young, I dont see why a team cant build around a star RB and elite QB.

You cant look at it from building a team from scratch and what is ideal. Elite QBs dont grow on trees, its rare to find but having a RB doesnt decrease your odds in any way.
Harper41

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 49ers built a pretty good team with an offense based around running the ball. If the Vikings had a secondary to match their front 7 they'd be a playoff team.

RTR
GFalcon wrote:
go saints
baconrad3

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad the Jags haven't caved. Refreshing to see a team make a smart decision when it comes to singing their runningback.

MJD wants a lot more money than what he is really worth. This is a business. And from a business perspective, it is not wise whatsoever to give a 27 year old runningback with as much mileage as MJD has a ton of money. They'd be better off either signing him to a smaller contract than what he wants, or just not signing him whatsoever and moving on, and then using that money on more important positions.

MJD is still getting paid 10 mil the next 2 years. Not that bad.

#OfficialBlakeBortlesHypeTrain
Canadian_Patriot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconrad3 wrote:

For a top 3 RB, and coming off leading the NFL in rushing? It's a bargain for the Jags. You're telling me the RB that just produced more rushing yards then any other in the league is not worth 5 mil per year? Looks like other teams should be asking for money back from their RB's.

MJD should be getting around 8-9 mil per over the next 3-4 years. He's outplayed his contract, plain and simple.

CP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Harper41

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canadian_Patriot wrote:
baconrad3 wrote:

For a top 3 RB, and coming off leading the NFL in rushing? It's a bargain for the Jags. You're telling me the RB that just produced more rushing yards then any other in the league is not worth 5 mil per year? Looks like other teams should be asking for money back from their RB's.

MJD should be getting around 8-9 mil per over the next 3-4 years. He's outplayed his contract, plain and simple.

CP
Yep. I don't blame MJD at all, by the end of his current contract he'll be 30. No ones going to give him a large contract at the age of 30, especially since MJDs been an absolute workhorse the past couple seasons. He'll probably be on a steep decline when this contract is up, he deserves to get paid like a top 5 HB the next 3 years.

RTR
GFalcon wrote:
go saints

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: