Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Potential FCS to FBS upgrades
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pf9

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Potential FCS to FBS upgrades Reply with quote

This year and in the next few years we will some new FBS programs.

Here are some teams that I think will make the move by 2020:

Richmond:
If they are to move to FBS, they have to either add more seats to their current stadium, or build a new stadium on the site of their old one. Likely conference destination is MAC for football only.

Sam Houston State:
They have had some good years recently, they even made it to the FCS champ game last year (they lost). Likely conference destination is Sun Belt.

Georgia Southern:
One of the better FCS programs they have several national championships. The president of the university supports the move to FBS. Likely conference destination is Sun Belt, where they could have a major rivalry with Georgia State.

Appalachian State:
Won 3 straight FCS titles from 2005-07. Beat Michigan in 2007. Likely conference destination is Sun Belt.

Southern Illinois:
Southern Illinois won an FCS title in 1983, and contends regularly. Likely conference destination is MAC (for all sports).

Youngstown State:
Won several championships in the past, and was once coached by Jim Tressel. Likely conference destination is MAC (for all sports).

Lamar:
Just restarted football, wants to move to FBS soon. Likely conference destination is C-USA since the Sun Belt won't let them back in.

Villanova:
Usually a contender (they won the 2009 FCS title), they struggled last year. Should be the 14th football member of the Big East (other sports are already in the BE).

What schools could you see making the move to FBS?
IrishGreen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Northern Iowa. One of the most successful programs at that level. Could easily see them in C-USA

El Ramster on the amazing work
pf9

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishGreen wrote:
Northern Iowa. One of the most successful programs at that level. Could easily see them in C-USA

Except C-USA is a Southern-based conference. The travel would kill UNI.
Cheesehead430

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murray St?
Savannah St?
193 rush yards, 4 TD's
1King

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice article about topic:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/19112305/conference-shuffle-creating-room-for-upstarts-to-make-jump-to-fbs

El ramster wrote:
1king showing why he's one the best posters in this site.

candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome

TEAM STYLISH
pf9

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheesehead430 wrote:
Murray St?
Savannah St?

I don't see any HBCUs making the jump either.
Jamison.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see Villanova move to the Big East.

Jamison.'s Gallery
pf9

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamison. wrote:
I would like to see Villanova move to the Big East.

They are after all the most logical choice for the 14th football member of the BE. As it stands now, there are 6 schools outside the South playing football in the BE, and 7 in the South (including Navy). Adding Villanova makes seven non-Southern schools, which would all form the Blue Division. The Southern teams then form the Gray Division.
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IrishGreen wrote:

I would agree, I also see them going out West to.

#JDI
adam9

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Georgia Southern. Program is pretty prestigious, and I think they could come in immediately and hang with in the Sun Belt.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously Georgia State is the next one making the move. Should be interesting as it's a huge state university positioned in downtown Atlanta and playing its home games at the Georgia Dome. Obviously they've struggled so far with legitimate opponents, but that's what happens when your program is this young. Once they join the FBS next year, I think a lot SE recruits that get passed over by the SEC and ACC powerhouses may land there.

You guys need to keep in mind that the teams that are going to be getting invitations aren't going to be getting them based on how good they are. In the end it will come down to size and location. Georgia State isn't that good, but the Sun Belt wants them because it's a large school in a big city. They don't want a team like Georgia Southern that's actually good but based in Statesboro, GA. A lot of the FCS powers may not want to make the move either because they'd rather compete for national titles in the FCS then battle for a bowl trip in the FBS.
adam9

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixa37 wrote:
Obviously Georgia State is the next one making the move. Should be interesting as it's a huge state university positioned in downtown Atlanta and playing its home games at the Georgia Dome. Obviously they've struggled so far with legitimate opponents, but that's what happens when your program is this young. Once they join the FBS next year, I think a lot SE recruits that get passed over by the SEC and ACC powerhouses may land there.

You guys need to keep in mind that the teams that are going to be getting invitations aren't going to be getting them based on how good they are. In the end it will come down to size and location. Georgia State isn't that good, but the Sun Belt wants them because it's a large school in a big city. They don't want a team like Georgia Southern that's actually good but based in Statesboro, GA. A lot of the FCS powers may not want to make the move either because they'd rather compete for national titles in the FCS then battle for a bowl trip in the FBS.

If you've never been to Statesboro you wouldn't understand. Football is big down there. They will travel well, and it is close to Florida so it wouldn't be a long travel to some of the schools down there. I think it makes a good bit of sense. Not as many people care about football at Georgia State. While it is in a central location, not many people will want to travel into Atlanta to watch an awful team get beat by better teams. That's also why there is a lot of college towns such as Statesboro, people don't want to have to battle city traffic to watch a football game, not to mention the traffic of other fans as well unless it is a team with a big following crowd.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam9 wrote:
nixa37 wrote:

If you've never been to Statesboro you wouldn't understand. Football is big down there. They will travel well, and it is close to Florida so it wouldn't be a long travel to some of the schools down there. I think it makes a good bit of sense. Not as many people care about football at Georgia State. While it is in a central location, not many people will want to travel into Atlanta to watch an awful team get beat by better teams. That's also why there is a lot of college towns such as Statesboro, people don't want to have to battle city traffic to watch a football game, not to mention the traffic of other fans as well unless it is a team with a big following crowd.

Yeah football is serious at Georgia Southern. I went on a football recruiting trip back in 2008. I loved it there. There is not alot to do around their area, so attendance wise they will do great. I would love to see them move up.

Now as far as Georgia State, yeah they moved up based on student numbers and potential. Once when they get things rolling, and start winning, they won't have a problem recruiting at all. This is Bill Curry's last year as a coach, so if a good coach is hired, then I can see that Georgia State growing faster than most expectations. lol I'm a new Georgia State fan, so I'm following this team. We are going to lose a lot the next few years.

Quote:
JETS . HEAT . GSU & V-Tech (CF) . SYRACUSE (CB) . ATL MLS .
nixa37

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam9 wrote:
nixa37 wrote:

I'm not going to disagree with anything you just said, but the fact of the matter is that Georgia State has already accepted an invitation to join the Sun Belt while no FBS conference has made a similar offer to Georgia Southern. Also, despite the team being horrible, Georgia State did still draw over 18,000 to their home opener this year, which is the capacity for Georgia Southern's current stadium, and that's for a terrible team. There is actual growth opportunity there, far more than there is at Georgia Southern.

It's not just about the teams for the conferences. They want to enter into new, large markets to extend their "footprint." From that perspective, Atlanta is far more appealing than Statesboro. There's the opportunity to get a bigger TV contract eventually and you get exposure to far more recruits by getting to play in Atlanta. There's a reason that Old Dominion, Georgia State, and UT-San Antonio are getting invitations to FBS conferences and not the FCS teams that are actually good.
Supersuavesky

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe UNCC is attempting to move confrences in basketball (C-USA I think). Excitement for the team is high and the city can certainly support it despite having both the Panthers and Bobcats already established. A 30,000 seat stadium is nearing completion and the first season for the program is next year.

They apparently one about two years under their belt before moving up. Ambitious.

RIP Robin Williams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: