Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Potential FCS to FBS upgrades
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beavsandpatsfan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When do we stop adding teams to FBS? Not a confrontational question, just curious as to what others think
nixa37

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beavsandpatsfan wrote:
When do we stop adding teams to FBS? Not a confrontational question, just curious as to what others think

Well they had a moratorium on moves in place for 4 years before the latest conference realignment forced some of the smaller conferences to find new members. According to the CBS Sports article linked earlier in the thread, the NCAA is expected to reinstate the moratorium in the near future and it could be in place for up to a decade before it's lifted again.
devils1854

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixa37 wrote:
adam9 wrote:
nixa37 wrote:
Obviously Georgia State is the next one making the move. Should be interesting as it's a huge state university positioned in downtown Atlanta and playing its home games at the Georgia Dome. Obviously they've struggled so far with legitimate opponents, but that's what happens when your program is this young. Once they join the FBS next year, I think a lot SE recruits that get passed over by the SEC and ACC powerhouses may land there.

You guys need to keep in mind that the teams that are going to be getting invitations aren't going to be getting them based on how good they are. In the end it will come down to size and location. Georgia State isn't that good, but the Sun Belt wants them because it's a large school in a big city. They don't want a team like Georgia Southern that's actually good but based in Statesboro, GA. A lot of the FCS powers may not want to make the move either because they'd rather compete for national titles in the FCS then battle for a bowl trip in the FBS.

If you've never been to Statesboro you wouldn't understand. Football is big down there. They will travel well, and it is close to Florida so it wouldn't be a long travel to some of the schools down there. I think it makes a good bit of sense. Not as many people care about football at Georgia State. While it is in a central location, not many people will want to travel into Atlanta to watch an awful team get beat by better teams. That's also why there is a lot of college towns such as Statesboro, people don't want to have to battle city traffic to watch a football game, not to mention the traffic of other fans as well unless it is a team with a big following crowd.

I'm not going to disagree with anything you just said, but the fact of the matter is that Georgia State has already accepted an invitation to join the Sun Belt while no FBS conference has made a similar offer to Georgia Southern. Also, despite the team being horrible, Georgia State did still draw over 18,000 to their home opener this year, which is the capacity for Georgia Southern's current stadium, and that's for a terrible team. There is actual growth opportunity there, far more than there is at Georgia Southern.

It's not just about the teams for the conferences. They want to enter into new, large markets to extend their "footprint." From that perspective, Atlanta is far more appealing than Statesboro. There's the opportunity to get a bigger TV contract eventually and you get exposure to far more recruits by getting to play in Atlanta. There's a reason that Old Dominion, Georgia State, and UT-San Antonio are getting invitations to FBS conferences and not the FCS teams that are actually good.

You are exactly right. Georgia Southern really has no chance to move up right now. No one wants them. It doesnt matter if they are the most prestigious program in 1-AA history. They have no footprint like you said. Thats why they and App State are being passed over by Georgia State, Charlotte, UTSA, Texas Southern, etc... Those schools are in relatively large markets, and can potentially bring in a lot more money than Southern can. The Sun Belt can only support so many small town teams. They have to go after these larger markets.

#JDI
coors

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Potential FCS to FBS upgrades Reply with quote

pf9 wrote:
Georgia Southern:
One of the better FCS programs they have several national championships. The president of the university supports the move to FBS. Likely conference destination is Sun Belt, where they could have a major rivalry with Georgia State.

definitely agree with you on Georgia Southern. They are a great program year in and year out for where they play. They run the same option type attack that Georgia Tech runs, so they hit their opponents by surprise with their unconventional in this day offense. Southern has a big campus, and the city of Statesboro is a pretty fun college town to be at. A rivalry with Georgia State, like you said, could be something special. Other than UGA, Southern is I'm pretty sure the biggest school in terms of enrollment in the entire state.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nova can work well in the big east

simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies

#JDI
nixa37

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Potential FCS to FBS upgrades Reply with quote

coors wrote:
pf9 wrote:
Georgia Southern:
One of the better FCS programs they have several national championships. The president of the university supports the move to FBS. Likely conference destination is Sun Belt, where they could have a major rivalry with Georgia State.

definitely agree with you on Georgia Southern. They are a great program year in and year out for where they play. They run the same option type attack that Georgia Tech runs, so they hit their opponents by surprise with their unconventional in this day offense. Southern has a big campus, and the city of Statesboro is a pretty fun college town to be at. A rivalry with Georgia State, like you said, could be something special. Other than UGA, Southern is I'm pretty sure the biggest school in terms of enrollment in the entire state.

Georgia State topped 32,000 in 2011, while Southern cracked 20,000 for the first time. Though I guess the argument could be made that a lot of those State students aren't necessarily full-time. I hope someone does give Southern a chance, but I just don't see it happening this time around.
ColumbusCrewzer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No love for Montana?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NDSU?

"There's only one Tree Hill, and it's your home." ~ 2003-2012
nixa37

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColumbusCrewzer wrote:
No love for Montana?

sportskid_021 wrote:
NDSU?

Guys, it's about the markets. What conference is chomping at the bit to add Fargo, ND (~100,000 in population) or Missoula, MT (~70,000)? How does it help a conference to add former FCS schools that could immediately compete for conference titles? It only serves to make the rest of the teams in conference look bad. Sad, but true.
pf9

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixa37 wrote:
ColumbusCrewzer wrote:
No love for Montana?

sportskid_021 wrote:
NDSU?

Guys, it's about the markets. What conference is chomping at the bit to add Fargo, ND (~100,000 in population) or Missoula, MT (~70,000)? How does it help a conference to add former FCS schools that could immediately compete for conference titles? It only serves to make the rest of the teams in conference look bad. Sad, but true.

Montana had a golden opportunity to move up to FBS years ago, but now with the demise of the WAC (at least for football, I expect it to happen for all other sports as well), Montana has nowhere to go. The MWC would add Idaho and NM State before they add Montana and Montana State.
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I was right, UNI is now looking into jumping leagues before the playoff system happens. I just don't know where they fit, conference wise.

http://www.kcrg.com/sports/local/UNI-Football-Weighing-Move-to-FBS-169264856.html
Quote:
Northern Iowa Athletics Director Troy Dannen is exploring whether his football programís success in the Football Championship Subdivision could translate to a permanent move into the sportís highest division.

UNI consistently has performed among the nationís best an FCS member, formerly known as Division I-AA. With changes in the Football Bowl Subdivisionís postseason structure, coupled with an infusion of money, Dannen sees a commonality with his school and mid-major programs that annually compete for bowl slots

Quote:
UNI is one of the nationís top FCS programs and has ranked in the top 25 for 94 consecutive weeks. The Panthers own a 9-22 record against FBS opponents since 1985 and has nearly beaten Iowa, Wisconsin and Iowa State since 2009.

#JDI
MSURacerDT55

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pf9 wrote:
Cheesehead430 wrote:
Murray St?
Savannah St?

I don't see any HBCUs making the jump either.

Hold up bro, my school is not an HBCU....

PSN: bench515lbs
pf9

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MSURacerDT55 wrote:
pf9 wrote:
Cheesehead430 wrote:
Murray St?
Savannah St?

I don't see any HBCUs making the jump either.

Hold up bro, my school is not an HBCU....

Never said it was.

Anyway Murray State likes the OVC. I don't see them or any HBCU's going FBS.

If C-USA wanted to enter Kentucky, they would go with WKU. Sam Houston, GA Southern and App State are next in line for Sun Belt membership. I also see UT-Arlington adding football as well.
Dr. Philly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UNI could go to the MWC.

simonwayne wrote:
LeBron has done for the NBA what Teen Mom has done for teenage pregnancies

#JDI
Jacobys Homey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sam Houston is better than quite a few a few FBS schools.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: