Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Potential FCS to FBS upgrades
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pf9

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Philly wrote:
UNI could go to the MWC.

They're too far out for the MWC to add them.
coors

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: Potential FCS to FBS upgrades Reply with quote

nixa37 wrote:
coors wrote:
pf9 wrote:
Georgia Southern:
One of the better FCS programs they have several national championships. The president of the university supports the move to FBS. Likely conference destination is Sun Belt, where they could have a major rivalry with Georgia State.

definitely agree with you on Georgia Southern. They are a great program year in and year out for where they play. They run the same option type attack that Georgia Tech runs, so they hit their opponents by surprise with their unconventional in this day offense. Southern has a big campus, and the city of Statesboro is a pretty fun college town to be at. A rivalry with Georgia State, like you said, could be something special. Other than UGA, Southern is I'm pretty sure the biggest school in terms of enrollment in the entire state.

Georgia State topped 32,000 in 2011, while Southern cracked 20,000 for the first time. Though I guess the argument could be made that a lot of those State students aren't necessarily full-time. I hope someone does give Southern a chance, but I just don't see it happening this time around.

You're right. I dont know how I botched that one. Being a former State student for a couple of semesters not sure why I didn't give enough credit Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pf9 wrote:
Dr. Philly wrote:
UNI could go to the MWC.

They're too far out for the MWC to add them.

UNI is bound to be a MAC school if they move up. They'd be the furthest west, but they would easily fit in with the directional schools (Northern Illinois, Western Michigan, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan).

Plus, it helps that they could use another western team to the conference, after adding U-Mass (which replaced Temple), as they have 7 in the East and 6 in the West.

Thx to Uncle Buck!
rickyt31

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Georgia Southern is moving up to FBS soon.

-> http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2012/9/28/3424600/georgia-southern-football-fbs

Quote:
JETS . HEAT . GSU & V-Tech (CF) . SYRACUSE (CB) . ATL MLS .
pf9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:

-> http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2012/9/28/3424600/georgia-southern-football-fbs

Say hello to that rivalry with Georgia State

Now GA Southern should then convince App State to make the move too
rickyt31

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pf9 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:

I'm going to love that rivalry.

Quote:
JETS . HEAT . GSU & V-Tech (CF) . SYRACUSE (CB) . ATL MLS .
nixa37

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickyt31 wrote:
pf9 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:

Not to burst your bubble, but they still need to convince the Sun Belt that they will increase total revenues enough that it won't decrease the income per school for the conference as a whole. Their best chance is probably another school or two bolting the Sun Belt for greener pastures, which certainly isn't out of the question. As things stand now though, I think it is more likely they don't get an invite, even if they're a better team than quite a few of the 2013 members of the conference.
pf9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nixa37 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:
pf9 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:

Not to burst your bubble, but they still need to convince the Sun Belt that they will increase total revenues enough that it won't decrease the income per school for the conference as a whole. Their best chance is probably another school or two bolting the Sun Belt for greener pastures, which certainly isn't out of the question. As things stand now though, I think it is more likely they don't get an invite, even if they're a better team than quite a few of the 2013 members of the conference.

Troy and WKU could possibly bolt to C-USA (along with Lamar of the SLC) should UTEP leave for the MW (which would likely happen if Air Force becomes an FBS independent and moves most of its other sports to the Patriot League to be with Army and Navy). Then Georgia Southern and App State could join the SBC.
nixa37

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pf9 wrote:
nixa37 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:
pf9 wrote:
rickyt31 wrote:

Troy and WKU could possibly bolt to C-USA (along with Lamar of the SLC) should UTEP leave for the MW (which would likely happen if Air Force becomes an FBS independent and moves most of its other sports to the Patriot League to be with Army and Navy). Then Georgia Southern and App State could join the SBC.

Don't forget that C-USA already has UTSA coming next year, along with Old Dominion and Charlotte in 2015. Even if UTEP leaves, they still have 10 members going forward. Why would they want to add two teams based in small markets? Haven't they already shown they care far more about markets than talent levels with their previous invites?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> College Football All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: