Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

tylerdouglass' Top 20 Saints of 2012 (Predictions)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: tylerdouglass' Top 20 Saints of 2012 (Predictions) Reply with quote

I hope to successfully predict and break down who I think will be the Saints top 20 players in 2012. I gave myself a few extra days in case I get busy, but I should be able to finish before our season opener.

My criteria -

Overall contributions - Obviously overall contribution to the team will be the most important. What type of an impact will the player have over the course of all 16 (and likely more) games? How much would the team have suffered without them?

Consistency - How consistent is the player? Every time Reggie Bush stepped on the field he was a threat to score 6, but he could never be consistent. Players on this list are players I think will consistently help out the team.

Playing time - I don't care if fans expect Chris Ivory to average 6.6 yards per carry, and 1 touchdown every 10 touches, if he is only playing 7 snaps per game, he isn't making the list.

Attitude - Does this guy get the players around him pumped? Is he a good locker room guy, or a distraction to the team?

Feel free to debate/refute my predictions. Cool

#20-Thomas Morstead

#19-Sedrick Ellis

#18-Brodrick Bunkley

#17-Cam Jordan

#16-Junior Galette

#15-Ben Grubbs

#14-Will Smith

#13-Pierre Thomas

#12-Patrick Robinson

#11-Roman Harper

#10-Jahri Evans

#9-Malcolm Jenkins

#8-Mark Ingram

#7-Martez Wilson

Last edited by tylerdouglass on Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:55 pm; edited 16 times in total
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#20 Thomas Morstead

On July 26th, the New Orleans Saints made Morstead the 3rd highest paid punter in the NFL. No full-time punter allowed fewer punt returns (19) or punt return yards (118) in 2011. Morstead's average of 44 net-yards per punt was 2nd only to San Francisco's Andy Lee. Morstead holds the record for the most touchbacks in a game (9 in the 2011 beatdown of the Indianapolis Colts) and the most touchbacks in a season (68 in 2011.) Morstead's onside kick in Super Bowl XLIV is arguably the single most important play of the game.

Look for Morstead to continue his dominance in the kicking game, and earn that newly signed contract.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#19 Sedrick Ellis

It's a make or break season for Ellis. He will be playing along side the best DT he's played with since entering the NFL, and hopefully that will help him get back to 2010 form. In 2010 Ellis registered 6 sacks (team leader) and 44 tackles, along with 2 forced fumbles. Ellis may get his sack number up to where it was in 2010, but he won't likely be the team leader like he was that season. That's OK, the Saints don't need Ellis to lead the team in sacks, they just need Ellis to get pressure up the middle and force the QB into the waiting arms of one of our talented DEs.

Look for Ellis to become more consistent with his pressure up the middle, helping our DEs and DBs contain the passing game.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#18 - Brodrick Bunkley

I thought about having Ellis and Bunkley because I think they will contribute about the same amount to the team. I ended up moving Bunkley up just a bit, because I truly think Bunkley would be on this list without Ellis, but Ellis wouldn't be on this list (maybe this team) without Bunkley. Bunkley is an above average DT who is stout against the run, a type of DT that Ellis has never played with. Bunkley not only improves his position along the defensive lines, but he improves Ellis as well, and that is what put him above Ellis on this top 20 list.

Look for Bunkley to create opportunities for Ellis to get into the backfield, like he often did in 2010.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#17 - Cam Jordan

Cam Jordan quietly had a pretty successful season. Go look around the site for discussions about poor rookie seasons and you'll see Cam Jordans name on a lot of them. I couldn't disagree more. Guys look at the stats and see that he didn't register a sack, BUST! But Cam isn't our sack guy, we've got Martez, Smith, Galette, and a few others who are able to get to the QB. Cam seals the edge and contains the runner. He'll directly benefit from Spag's new scheme, but also indirectly if the other defensive players can step up as well and buy Cam time to get to the QB from time to time.

Look for Cam to establish himself as one of the better run stoppers on the team.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
#17 - Cam Jordan

Cam Jordan quietly had a pretty successful season. Go look around the site for discussions about poor rookie seasons and you'll see Cam Jordans name on a lot of them. I couldn't disagree more. Guys look at the stats and see that he didn't register a sack, BUST! But Cam isn't our sack guy, we've got Martez, Smith, Galette, and a few others who are able to get to the QB. Cam seals the edge and contains the runner. He'll directly benefit from Spag's new scheme, but also indirectly if the other defensive players can step up as well and buy Cam time to get to the QB from time to time.

Look for Cam to establish himself as one of the better run stoppers on the team.

I would really, really like for him to beef up a little more and push Ellis for that UT spot. I feel he could be exceptional there, or as a DE in the 3-4, should we acquire the personnel.

2012 Adopt-A-Saint:
Martez Wilson, DE: 1 Sack, 6 Tackles, 1 FF, 1 Punt Block
Will Smith, DE: 2 Sacks, 22 Tackles, 0 FF
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#16 - Junior Galette

JUNYAAAHHHHHHHHHH! Junior Galette might be the best DE on the Saints by the end of the season, but I don't think he's quite there yet. Galette is a situation passrusher and relief guy at this point in his career, but he could get a bit of playing time while Smith is on vacation. Junior registered 4.5 sacks and lots of pressures in limited playing time last season, showing he doesn't need a ton of playing time to get to the QB.

Look for Galette to continue to improve and push for more playing time. He has a good shot to lead the team in sacks.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Juniors going to have a great year. I could easily see him pushing for 14 sacks

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
sputney23

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
I think Juniors going to have a great year. I could easily see him pushing for 14 sacks

I would go with about 8.. He's going to draw alot of holding calls

NS922 On the sig
Harper41

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sputney23 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

He got 4.5 last year in very limited playing time. Spags is reportedly in love with him, I see him getting at least double digit sacks. He's going to be a stud.

RTR
#Keepitonehunna
SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Thought someone broke into my house.
Jumped out of bed (left my brother)
sputney23

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
sputney23 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

He got 4.5 last year in very limited playing time. Spags is reportedly in love with him, I see him getting at least double digit sacks. He's going to be a stud.

Guess well see

NS922 On the sig
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#15 - Ben Grubbs

Losing Carl Nicks was a devastating loss to the New Orleans Saints. Ben Grubbs made us Saints fans forget the sting of that loss almost immediately. Grubbs is coming off his first pro-bowl season and the Saints will only see a minor downgrade at the LG position. Grubbs likely won't provide the same level of run-blocking that the Saints had with Nicks, but he should be an improvement in pass blocking. The most important part of the Saints offense is making sure Drew Brees has a nice pocket to step into, to make his throws. Grubbs provides that.

Look for Grubbs to keep Drew Brees upright well, in place of Carl Nicks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harper41 wrote:
sputney23 wrote:
Harper41 wrote:

Book it...he will lead the team in sacks.

Kenny Vaccaro; coming soon to a town near you to screw up your QB's day. ATL first on the knock-off list. #RISEUPFORWHAT
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#14 - Will Smith

Big Willy is looking like a manimal this preseason. A contract restructure and a few young DEs climbing up the depth chart have likely lit a fire under him. Smith will miss the first 4 games of the season while he is on a vacation from football. While I don't think Smith will be able to return to his 2009 level of 13 sacks in 16 games, I do think we will see a more efficient Smith. I'm predicting 10 sacks in 12 games.

Look for Smith to anchor the line upon his return, and get consistent pressure when he is in the game.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punter... then 6 linemen... Predicting a big year for them?

2012 Adopt-A-Saint:
Martez Wilson, DE: 1 Sack, 6 Tackles, 1 FF, 1 Punt Block
Will Smith, DE: 2 Sacks, 22 Tackles, 0 FF

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: