Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

alfalcone Final Ravens Mock 4/22
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alfalcone

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: alfalcone Final Ravens Mock 4/22 Reply with quote

Below is the final version of my Ravens mock draft. I believe I have a good feel for where the players will fall, a lot of this is based on gut feeling, and a sense that the Ravens are trying to get faster on defense.

1 - Matt Elam SS Florida - Elam to me is an upper middle class man's Troy Polomalu. He's slightly undersized, but runs well and hits like a ton of bricks. He flashed on film, and has the ability to play right away. He has room to improve in coverage, but Michael Huff should mask these limitations.

2 - Kyle Long OT Oregon - Long played Guard in college but has the athleticism to move to tackle. I have always held the position that it is easier to move from tackle to guard and guard to tackle than from one side to another given the inversion of the football stance. The Oregon scheme allowed Long to play in more space than the typical guard and he has the athleticism and bloodlines to succeed.

3 - Sio Moore MLB Connecticut - Moore is built a lot like Lawrence Timmons and has a similar style of play, he is excellent in pass coverage and a productive pass rusher. I project him has the type of player who can play outside and in. I project Moore to play inside in Baltimore and to provide a pass rush on the inside.

4 - Cobi Hamilton WR Arkansas - Hamilton hasn't generated a ton of buzz in the draft process, but he is a stud. Arkansas' sole offensive threat this past year, Hamilton put up monster numbers while Tyler Wilson struggled. He has the potential to be a strong number two receiver.

4 - John Simon OLB Ohio State - Simon is a beast in the weight room and posted surprisingly strong numbers the past two season. I think he compares favorably to Jarrett Johnson and could play a similar role in Baltimore.

5 - Levine Toilolo TE Stanford - Perhaps the players with the greatest projected range, I have seen 2nd to undrafted, Toilolo is a strong in line blocker with a big body. He can fill the Ravens need for a blocking tight end, and develop into a strong red zone target.

5 - Lonnie Pryor FB Florida State - An undersized full back, Pryor is an explosive runner, and a strong blocker. HE projects favorably as a running back, and could excel in a FB2/RB3 role in Baltimore.

6 - Micah Hyde CB Iowa - Hyde fell this season because of Iowa's struggles, but he is a talented, NFL ready cornerback who could contribute as a nickel or dime back.

6 - Cooper Taylor S Richmond - Taylor is a massive physical specimen who was forced to transfer from Georgia Tech to Richmond due to health issues. He has the physical ability to thrive in coverage against tight ends.

6 - Courtney Gardner - WR Sierra - Gardner is a talented receiver out of junior college. This pick is an utter flyer, hoping that Gardner is Cordarrelle Patterson at this point last year.

7 - Quinton Dial - DE Alabama - Brandon Deadrick 2.0 Dial is a five technique from Alabama who projects as a quality role player.

7 - Phillip Steward - OLB (Coverage) Houston - Steward is an undersized but explosive player who is strong in coverage and against the run. He projects as a third down linebacker and special teamer, and should replace Brendon Ayenbadejo.

alfalcone wrote:
Accidentally replaced original with 1/16 edit

1) - Chance Warmack - a mauling guard, Warmack is a stud prospect who could fall because he is a guard.
2) - Margus Hunt - Hunt has elite athleticism, and has the potential to dominate as a 5 technique.
3) - Arthur Brown - the more I think about it Brown in the 3rd is far greater value than Ogletree in the 1st, a good tackler, with the speed to excel in coverage Brown adds some much needed speed to our front 7, which would help combat our vulnerability to zone blocking.
4) - Levine Toilolo - he will most likely rise by the time the draft comes along, but Toiolo backed up Zach Ertz at Stanford, and has the big body and blocking ability to develop into a stud tight end.
5) - Tyrann Mathieu - I will mock him in every draft I do to Baltimore. He isn't the greatest in coverage, but he is a playmaker, and a sure tackler. I'd line him up at safety, but use him in the slot like Webb. He plays like a Raven, even if he smokes like a Trailblazer.
6) - Tharold Simon - a lanky corner in the Jimmy smith / Richard Sherman mold, Simon has all the tools to succeed, and just needs some coaching.
7) - Mat Scott - A one year starter with decent tools, Scott is worth a flyer.

Last edited by alfalcone on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:31 pm; edited 9 times in total
drd23

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about Steen in the 4th and I don't know the 7th round WR, but the rest of that mock would be pretty damn close to perfect. It would vastly improve the pass rush from the DL, give us a play-making and athletic ILB in the first 3 rounds and then tale 2 athletic freaks in the later rounds and hope they work out.

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
coordinator0

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see Richardson vaulting up into the first round with his athleticism and he would seem to be a pretty nice fit for the Ravens.

If Minter declares that would be a really nice pick in the second round too.

I'm not sure Hunt falls that far with his combination of size and athleticism but damn that would be awesome. Adding two 5-technique types seems like a bit much though. Ngata won't be rotated in and off the field too often unless he's injured and McPhee will still be on the team too.

I don't know much about Steen.

Taylor... meh but at that point it's not a bad pick.

If the Ravens continue to use a bunch more 4-3 looks (with or without pees) then Tate would be a solid pick in the 6th round. I think his niche might be as a LB on passing downs and the Ravens definitely need 1 or 2 of those.

I don't know anything about Harper.

Overall I would like this draft a lot although I think that it might be a bit too optimistic with guys falling (Minter, Hunt, Tate).
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coordinator0 wrote:
I could see Richardson vaulting up into the first round with his athleticism and he would seem to be a pretty nice fit for the Ravens.

If Minter declares that would be a really nice pick in the second round too.

I'm not sure Hunt falls that far with his combination of size and athleticism but damn that would be awesome. Adding two 5-technique types seems like a bit much though. Ngata won't be rotated in and off the field too often unless he's injured and McPhee will still be on the team too.

I don't know much about Steen.

Taylor... meh but at that point it's not a bad pick.

If the Ravens continue to use a bunch more 4-3 looks (with or without pees) then Tate would be a solid pick in the 6th round. I think his niche might be as a LB on passing downs and the Ravens definitely need 1 or 2 of those.

I don't know anything about Harper.

Overall I would like this draft a lot although I think that it might be a bit too optimistic with guys falling (Minter, Hunt, Tate).

You hit all my points. I like Richardson. And he's an athletic freak and we need more of those on defense.

I also agree that we might've overfilled on the 5-tech especially when I think we should look a explosive edge threat.

The only change I'd make is Mauti in the 2nd. Minter is an underclassman so I think it's less likely we take him. Mauti better fits the profile of a guy we target IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheldon Richardson would be a GREAT pick. But I suspect he is going in the top 10.

Margus Hunt is an amazing phsical talent. Not that great of a football player.

Eveything else, with what I know about them, is solid.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
alfalcone

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My Mid Year Ravens Mock Draft Reply with quote

Update 12/1/2012 (I'm project Cam get's fired / leaves and we resign Flacco)

Round 1) Alex Ogletree, MLB Georgia - He plays hard, fast, and physically, reminds me of Darryl Washington, could be a stud.
Round 2) Tavon Austin, WR West Virginia - We lack an explosive "space player," I think Austin could be an excellent fit as a slot reciever with a scatback package. He's small, but has a lot of wiggle.
Round 3) Margus Hunt:, DE / DT SMU -Same evaluation as before
Round 4) Tyrann Mattieu, CB / FS LSU - Playmaker, but pothead, has way too much value to pass up here.
Round 5) Michael Williams TE Alabama - We finally pick up a blocking tight end, something we have lacked for a few years.
Round 6) Devin Taylor, DE / OLB South Carolina - Same evaluation as before
Round 7) Patrick Lewis, C TA&M - Low anchored center worth a late round flyer.

Last edited by alfalcone on Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
drd23

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a fan of the first 4 picks besides Hunt tbh.

1) I don't like what I've seen of Ogletree in sifting through traffic/taking on blockers and making tackles in the run game.

2) As I've intimated in our draft prospects thread, I don't like Austin's fit in our offense. He's not a back in at the tail end of the 2nd from a pure value POV, but not when Cam Cameron (who'd not getting fired any time soon Sad ) can't/won't use him

3) I'm iffy on Hunt because I'm not sure that he isn't just getting by on athleticism, but I think he'd be worth a shot here

4) 1-2 rounds too early given his issues imo, but if he is taken this high by the Ravens irl, I'd trust that they'd evaluated his character and were suitable satisfied.

5) Not bad. Definitely need a more blocking-oriented TE behind Pitta

6) Worth a shot

7) Don't know much about him, but its a 7th round pick - who cares at this stage.

Stone85 & mike23md on the sig!
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: My Mid Year Ravens Mock Draft Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:
Update 12/1/2012

Round 1) Alex Ogletree, MLB Georgia - He plays hard, fast, and physically, reminds me of Darryl Washington, could be a stud.
Round 2) Tavon Austin, WR West Virginia - We lack an explosive "space player," I think Austin could be an excellent fit as a slot reciever with a scatback package. He's small, but has a lot of wiggle.
Round 4) Tyrann Mattieu, CB / FS LSU - Playmaker, but pothead, has way too much value to pass up here.
Round 5) Michael Williams TE Alabama - We finally pick up a blocking tight end, something we have lacked for a few years.

1. Meh... I hated the prospect of taking him before. I've recently come around. But still, I would say he plays physical. Looking at him and looking at him again, he didn't look like someone that could a) take on blocks and make plays or b) someone that had the instincts apparent to weave through the traffic with the best of them. He looked to be at his best when his big dominant DTs were playing fullback for him and allow him to roam around untouched. Obviously all linebackers better under those conditions, but Ogletree seemed to benefit more from his blockers than the other top shelf talents IMO. I also think his quickness from sideline to sideline isn't nearly as elite as his athleticism would have you believe. His coverage skills are note-worthy.. and that's key in this league, but as a guy who doesn't possess the complete package... and in such a deep draft, no way I take him in the 1st. Factor in that with the fact that he's a college junior with some character concerns... and I HIGHLY doubt the Ravens look to draft him.

2. Like I said in another thread, I like Austin. I definitely think he's a playmaker, but two things: 1) I don't think Cam is creative enough to utilize him appropriately to be as big a factor as he could be. We'll just run him around on reverses. 2) I don't think he's the best fit in terms of Flacco's strengths/weaknesses as a quarterback. And lastly, I think our biggest need currently in a receiver is a redzone threat that can also separate... and not in a guy who can produce in space. We have Rice/Rainey for that... yet we don't utilize Rice very much in that particular role.

3. Hunt I like- and is interesting, but even given his age... once he blows up the combine... and at his size, I just can't see this guy making it anywhere past the 2nd round. Simply too much potential.

4. I believe everyone knows how I feel here. I think he's undraftable. I mean forget just my opinion here. Let's think this through from a Ravens organization perspective. We usually don't select underclassmen in the draft- usually electing to go with the senior players. When we do select juniors they tend to have big time production to back up their play (which Tyrann has)... but also tend to be high character- strong work ethic types. We did take a flyer on Tommy Streeter, but he was someone that didn't have advanced character concerns... and we didn't spend more than a 6th on him.

5. We need a blocking TE. Good selection.

6. Devin Taylor is another hyper-athlete that I can't see falling that far. With his size and athleticism along with intelligence, I simply can't see him not being selected come the 4th/5th round.

7. Not familiar with him, but with Birk potentially retiring after the season and with Gradkowski being no sure thing, it makes plenty of sense to select a center late as a project... that or even selecting a guy for competition.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go back and forth on Ogletree. Nasty range and gets his hands on a lot of balls so if Ozzie is a go I am too.

Love me some Tavon Awesome. When you're that small the QB has to be pinpoint accurate but he is electrifying and can definitely help us.

I think Margus goes first half of round 2. But I am coming around on him. The production is getting there and his ceiling is through the damn roof.

Don't want Badger in any round. He has some playmaking ability but I don't like him actually playing the position. And then there are the character problems which I could have gotten over if he didn't make all these public statements about being clean.

Michael Williams is a nice blocking TE. Devin Taylor is another with a huge ceiling. Great movement for his size. Patrick Lewis in 7 would be an absolute steal. Call me crazy but I watch A&M and I am more impressed by him than Joeckel or Matthews. Looks really strong and physical and pretty good feet too.

Good work.

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
1/10. Not a fan[of C.J. Mosley]. Just another future failed Alabama product.
gooselovechild

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My Mid Year Ravens Mock Draft Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:
Update 12/1/2012

I don't know if he's a value pick, especially with guys like Moseley, Brown, Mauti and Klein, among others, likely available here or later on.
Would be a beast if our offense was designed more like New England or Green Bay. He'd be wasted in the offense we currently use though.
Mike Mamula-esque physical skills, without the college production. I would take a flyer on him with a late round pick, but he hasn't done anything on the field to justify a 3rd round grade.
At 5'9", 175 pounds, he's solely a nickel back at the NFL level. With the drug issues thrown in, he's undraftable.
Don't know enough about him, but we do need a blocking TE on the roster.
If he's the guy I'm thinnking of, he's more of a 3rd-4th round pick. Would be a huge steal in the last 50 picks of the draft.
Don't know enough about him to say anything here.
hemm68

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been watching ogletree for a couple years now. Started watching Georgia to get a feel for Rambo and number 9 kept catching my eye. I would be ecstatic if he was our first round pick. I believe a year in our strength and conditioning system would do wonders for his block shedding
diamondbull424

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hemm68 wrote:
Been watching ogletree for a couple years now. Started watching Georgia to get a feel for Rambo and number 9 kept catching my eye. I would be ecstatic if he was our first round pick. I believe a year in our strength and conditioning system would do wonders for his block shedding

Strength isn't the biggest factor in shedding blocks. It's technique and instincts. Arthur Brown is smaller than Ogletree, yet he's not as big a problem when I look at his ability to sift through the trash to make a play. He's not nearly given the space to make plays like Ogletree is afforded (because of his DL), but if he were, he'd look dominant. No question in my mind that he's the superior player.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diamondbull424 wrote:
hemm68 wrote:

Strength isn't the biggest factor in shedding blocks. It's technique and instincts. Arthur Brown is smaller than Ogletree, yet he's not as big a problem when I look at his ability to sift through the trash to make a play. He's not nearly given the space to make plays like Ogletree is afforded (because of his DL), but if he were, he'd look dominant. No question in my mind that he's the superior player.

I'm going to apologize in advance here. My response was written on my phone and is terribly choppy. I wanted to get my reply out relatively quick.

I haven't seen a kstate game all year so I can't make any comparisons there. Watching ogletree's games I notice in the early goings he comes out firing and has no issue taking on lineman to chase down plays. As the game wears on is were he gets what I can only describe as worn down. This is when he is prone to shy and run around blockers rather then playing through them.
He comes in at a rather lanky 6 foot 232lbs. This is why I say our program will come in to get Alec in the proper weight while building his lower body strength so he can play physical without getting warn down. Couple this with his natural ability to make plays and we will have a solid linebacker for years.

As for Tavon Austin. I would love him as a security blanket slot back. Not to mention he would be a yac monster. He could be that piece to keep the offense flowing. He would have to come into his pro day and show he could run the tree for me to take him.
dcarey20

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: My Mid Year Ravens Mock Draft Reply with quote

alfalcone wrote:
Update 12/1/2012 (I'm project Cam get's fired / leaves and we resign Flacco)

I'm a big fan of Ogletree and Tavon Austin as prospects. Though as someone else said, Austin would be somewhat of a waste in our offense and it is currently constructed. However I would hope that Cam is gone next year and our offense undergoes some changes. If we can Cam and get our offense towards utilizing that quick slot guy (ala Randall Cobb) then I would love him. Either way he probably still wouldn't be a bad pick as I think we've got to start preparing for Boldin to be on the way out.

I've also said that I'm a fan of looking into drafting Mathieu. I can't really comment on the rest of it, because honestly I haven't looking into prospects for the draft yet so I'm can't offer a true analysis of the rest of the guys outside of Ogletree, Austin and Mathieu. But I love those 3.
alfalcone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) - Chance Warmack - a mauling guard, Warmack is a stud prospect who could fall because he is a guard.
2) - Margus Hunt - Hunt has elite athleticism, and has the potential to dominate as a 5 technique.
3) - Arthur Brown - the more I think about it Brown in the 3rd is far greater value than Ogletree in the 1st, a good tackler, with the speed to excel in coverage Brown adds some much needed speed to our front 7, which would help combat our vulnerability to zone blocking.
4) - Levine Toilolo - he will most likely rise by the time the draft comes along, but Toiolo backed up Zach Ertz at Stanford, and has the big body and blocking ability to develop into a stud tight end.
5) - Tyrann Mathieu - I will mock him in every draft I do to Baltimore. He isn't the greatest in coverage, but he is a playmaker, and a sure tackler. I'd line him up at safety, but use him in the slot like Webb. He plays like a Raven, even if he smokes like a Trailblazer.
6) - Tharold Simon - a lanky corner in the Jimmy smith / Richard Sherman mold, Simon has all the tools to succeed, and just needs some coaching.
7) - Mat Scott - A one year starter with decent tools, Scott is worth a flyer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Baltimore Ravens All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: