Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kawann Short v. Sylvester Williams v. Jesse Williams v. Nix
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:16 am    Post subject: Kawann Short v. Sylvester Williams v. Jesse Williams v. Nix Reply with quote

I'm looking for a 1st round DT/NT for the Houston Texans to play in a Wade Phillips 1 gap system that emphasizes more penetration and pressure on the QB than in the traditional 2 gap brickwall NT system. Provided the Texans are drafting in the 30's, hopefully #32, who do you think is best for the Texans? He'd be working between Antonio Smith and JJ Watt. Thanks.
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Kawann Short v. Sylvester Williams v. Jesse Williams v. Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:
I'm looking for a 1st round DT/NT for the Houston Texans to play in a Wade Phillips 1 gap system that emphasizes more penetration and pressure on the QB than in the traditional 2 gap brickwall NT system. Provided the Texans are drafting in the 30's, hopefully #32, who do you think is best for the Texans? He'd be working between Antonio Smith and JJ Watt. Thanks.

Kawann Short will probably get more penetration on a per snap basis, but don't undersell the value of 3-down ability in any system. I'd say Nix is the BPA.

Don't know how to feel about Jesse Williams. He looks impressive but that defense has a lot of good front seven players, and saying he'll be more than a run stuffer at the next level is all projection. Sylvester Williams is not the same caliber of player as these other players.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
gator3guy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Kawann Short v. Sylvester Williams v. Jesse Williams v. Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
Wolf6151 wrote:

Kawann Short will probably get more penetration on a per snap basis, but don't undersell the value of 3-down ability in any system. I'd say Nix is the BPA.

Don't know how to feel about Jesse Williams. He looks impressive but that defense has a lot of good front seven players, and saying he'll be more than a run stuffer at the next level is all projection. Sylvester Williams is not the same caliber of player as these other players.

What? He's the best player of the group. He's not a nose though.
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Kawann Short v. Sylvester Williams v. Jesse Williams v. Reply with quote

gator3guy wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
Wolf6151 wrote:

Uh no he's not. Nix is the best followed by Short, then Sylvester Williams and Jesse Williams. You are right about Sylvester not being a nose though.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Kawann Short v. Sylvester Williams v. Jesse Williams v. Reply with quote

gator3guy wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
Wolf6151 wrote:

I was pretty impressed with Williams when I had a chance to watch him play. I believe he was playing against Virginia on a bad ankle but still showed impressive explosiveness and quickness. I really think he is an underrated prospect.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
gator3guy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Kawann Short v. Sylvester Williams v. Jesse Williams v. Reply with quote

ttitansfan4life wrote:
gator3guy wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
Wolf6151 wrote:

Uh no he's not. Nix is the best followed by Short, then Sylvester Williams and Jesse Williams. You are right about Sylvester not being a nose though.

Nix is a one trick pony. Williams makes an impact in the run game and passing game. Heck of an athlete for a 320 pounder. Short is not better either. Sylvester must be a well kept secret.
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Kawann Short v. Sylvester Williams v. Jesse Williams v. Reply with quote

gator3guy wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
gator3guy wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
Wolf6151 wrote:

Nix is a one trick pony. Williams makes an impact in the run game and passing game. Heck of an athlete for a 320 pounder. Short is not better either. Sylvester must be a well kept secret.

Nix may be a one trick pony, but it is the best trick in the draft. He's a huge nose, BJ Raji went #9. He eats blocks up.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
Wolf6151

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why couldn't Sylvester Williams be a NT? Like I said in the OP we're looking for a guy who can penetrate and put pressure on the QB, not the traditional brickwall NT.
TheGoldenChild

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Kawann Short v. Sylvester Williams v. Jesse Williams v. Reply with quote

JammerHammer21 wrote:
gator3guy wrote:
ttitansfan4life wrote:
gator3guy wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
Wolf6151 wrote:

Nix may be a one trick pony, but it is the best trick in the draft. He's a huge nose, BJ Raji went #9. He eats blocks up.

This. He is immovable in the middle.
CWood21

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nix is by far the best of those four. After that, it gets more on a preference for skillset. I don't see Short as much of a nose in any scheme.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can Nix play in a 4-3 or is he reserved to the nose tackle postion?

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
KamTrus20

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot tell you anything specific about Sylvester Williams game because my focus was on Kareem Martin in the 3 games I watched. I will say every game while trying to watch Martin that Sylvester keep stealing the show. He was flat out owning the line of scrimmage.

As I said I have not scouted him at all he just caught my eye but I beleive the kid can play at a high level. I am sure anyone who has watched him more than I would gladly back my up on the sentiment.

Jamison on the sig
JammerHammer21

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
Can Nix play in a 4-3 or is he reserved to the nose tackle postion?

He's pretty big, I don't know if I'd want him in a 4-3. He's dominating in it now.

Bohlmann20 (On The 95 Cleveland Browns Staff) wrote:
Lombardi - Isn't that the guy the trophy is named after? If so, top 3 coach of all time.

#JDI
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:
I cannot tell you anything specific about Sylvester Williams game because my focus was on Kareem Martin in the 3 games I watched. I will say every game while trying to watch Martin that Sylvester keep stealing the show. He was flat out owning the line of scrimmage.

As I said I have not scouted him at all he just caught my eye but I beleive the kid can play at a high level. I am sure anyone who has watched him more than I would gladly back my up on the sentiment.

I did watch the Virginia game specifically for Williams and like I mentioned before I came away impressed after keying on him. He was quick off of the ball and did a very good job hitting the gap as both a run defender and interior pass rusher. He also moved down the line well, holding the blocker at bay and tracking the ball carrier. I really liked his quickness. And this was all while playing at less than 100%.

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
TheOsprey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Kawann Short v. Sylvester Williams v. Jesse Williams v. Reply with quote

Wolf6151 wrote:

If you're looking for a pure NT, I don't see Short or Williams in that role. To me, they look more like 4-3 UT's or posssibly 3-4 DE's. That leaves Williams and Nix. Both would be great choices, but I have Nix more highly rated. He is like an immovable object and a wall in the middle of the D-Line. I think he'd be perfect for the Texans.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Draft All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: