Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Rod M Wrestles a Bear, Literally. Other News
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Rod M Wrestles a Bear, Literally. Other News Reply with quote

Quote:
The event occurred in 1966, the article states. Marinelli is getting ready to tackle different bears of sorts this Sunday when the Cowboys head north to face Chicago.

But nearly 50 years ago, Marinelli apparently showed no fear when dealing with bears (although it was de-clawed and muzzled).

Marinelli and two of his friends, Gary Schram and Don Gomez, were cruising down the street and saw a car dealership advertising an interesting deal: wrestle "Victor the Bear" for $10, Cotsonika wrote. The 'wrestle-the-bear' shtick was run by a Russian guy, according to Schram and Gomez

The high school senior then went home to change into his wrestling gear before heading back to face Victor, according to the article.

Then the real fun began.

-------------------------------------
Rod did then what he does now: He went in to win."

"There was no hesitation on the guy's part," Gomez told the Free Press. "He flew into that thing." <==RUSHMAN
---------------------------------------

"Rod goes over to shake the bear's hand," Gomez told Cotsonika, laughing. "The bear doesn't know he's coming to shake hands. The bear attacked him again."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20131202-dallas-cowboys-dl-coach-rod-marinelli-wrestled-a-bear-once...seriously.ece

Quote:
As I’ve watched Selvie this season, it seems as though he struggles when he fails to capitalize on his distinct advantage. Again, he’s not an incredibly quick player, so if Selvie doesn’t utilize his long arms, he’s not going to be effective.

However, I have a feeling Selvie will break out this week against the Bears. Chicago right tackle Jordan Mills has allowed the most pressures in the NFL by a wide margin. He’ll be matched up primarily with Selvie, so look for the defensive end to get back on track in Week 14.

http://thedctimes.com/2013/12/george-selvies-decline-for-dallas/

Quote:
What are some of the timelines for some of our injured players to return, i.e.: Sean Lee, DeVonte Hollman, Dwayne Harris, Mo Claiborne? We need all of them to make a good run in December.

Rowan:I wouldn’t be surprised at this point to see any or all of them back at some point this week. We’re talking about hamstring injuries for three of the four of those players (Justin Durant, as well), which can be tricky to diagnose. Even when a player thinks he’s ready to return from that kind of an injury, he may not actually be ready and a setback is possible. I think the plan in keeping those guys out was to hopefully have them back for Monday in Chicago. We’ll know more by Wednesday’s practice. The one guy I’m not sure of in that group is Holloman, whose neck injury hasn’t allowed him to go all out full-time in more than a month.

David: By the time the Cowboys take the field in Chicago, it will have been a month since Lee injured his hamstring in New Orleans. Barring some kind of setback, I imagine he will play. Even though it happened two games ago, it’s actually only been about a week since Harris and Claiborne aggravated their hamstrings in New York. I feel much less confident about their chances against the Bears, though I imagined they’d be back for Green Bay at the worst. Holloman is pretty much the great unknown, as Rowan said. The fact that he hasn’t been sent to IR, though, seems like a good sign that the team thinks he can suit up again before the season ends.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-Mailbag/Mailbag-Will-The-Cowboys-Be-Healthy-For-December-Stretch/a55d40b0-80aa-41b0-89a6-03c61b668562

Calvin Watkins ‏@calvinwatkins 8m
Jerry Jones on Tony Romo 11-15 Dec record: "It's real."
Jerry Jones said defense needs to improve and he expects LB position to get healthy this week.
Jerry Jones said the Cowboys are working out 7 RBs today along with some FB.
Cowboys are looking for a RB who can play some special teams.
Jerry Jones said it would be "very frustrating" to see Jay Ratliff play on Mon. considering his health this season when in Dallas.
Jerry Jones expressed excitement regarding Kyle Wilber getting more playing time over Justin Durant at SLB

Tim MacMahon ‏@espn_macmahon 1m
Jerry on Jay Ratliff: "The shape we're in on the D line, as far as I'm concerned, he needs to be over here helping out the Dallas Cowboys."
Jerry on KRLD-FM basically says Kyle Wilber won the starting Sam LB job for good.

Carlos A. Mendez ‏@calexmendez 5m
Jerry radio show. Says Cowboys are working out seven running backs today
Jerry on KRLD: Dunbar should have been 'forced' into the plan.
Jerry wishes Ratliff well on individual basis but says it will be 'frustrating' to see him play when 'so many' thought he couldn't.
Jerry on KRLD hints it's going to be Wilber over Durant at SAM. Starter doesn't lose job to injury? 'So much for that.'

Clarence Hill ‏@clarencehilljr 5m
Sean Lee will return this week, per Jerry Jones
Mo Claiborne remains questionable
Jerry jones on Tony Romo's 11-15 mark in Dec: It's real. You can tie that to why we have had disappointments in December
Jerry jones intimated that kyle Wilber will keep the starting job at strong side linebacker

Drew Pearson

Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota 8m
Drew Pearson on #Cowboys chances of making the playoffs: "They have a great chance because of the play from the quarterback Tony Romo."
Drew Pearson on Tony Romo: "He has been more efficient this year, he's been protecting the football and he knows the process it takes."

Marshall Faulk

Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota 5m
Marshall Faulk: "What I saw from [Dallas] is resolve..When things go wrong they start to look internally..and they start finding answers."
Marshall Faulk on NFL Network said #Cowboys are playing "playoff-caliber football. ..They're building [and] getting ready for the playoffs."

Carlos A. Mendez ‏@calexmendez 57s
Stephen Jones on KRLD says expect three or four roster moves this week. Workouts tomorrow. Look at DL.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Rod M Wrestles a Bear, Literally. Other News Reply with quote

Quote:

Marshall Faulk

Jon Machota ‏@jonmachota 5m
Marshall Faulk: "What I saw from [Dallas] is resolve..When things go wrong they start to look internally..and they start finding answers."
Marshall Faulk on NFL Network said #Cowboys are playing "playoff-caliber football. ..They're building [and] getting ready for the playoffs."

This can't be the Hall of Fame RB from the Rams. He never says anything nice about the Cowboys.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And the Cowboys have had an assembly line of defensive linemen come and go throughout the season.

In Chicago, Marinelli had a lineup that was largely set over the years.

When he spoke with the media during the Cowboys bye week, Marinelli said he had not thought much about the Bears.

“I'll say this, he was one of my very best friends,” Marinelli said of Smith. “I went there because of him, not for any other reason. We had a long tenure together and I believe in him. I've started this thing off about my beliefs, being old fashioned or whatever, I have a strong belief in what he believes in and I liked it. For me, it's got to be that or I struggle. I never want to not do it with all my heart. For me, that was Lovie's defense.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4720471/loyalty-led-rod-marinelli-to-cowboys

Quote:
“When you have guys like Lee still in there, in the meeting rooms, still teaching Ernie what to do – everybody in this league is athletic – but if you can instill what you do mentally first, especially like Sean Lee, he’s showing them so many things and what to key on, and they’ve gotten better,” Ware said after the Thanksgiving Day victory against Oakland. “He’s still there, but just in another person’s body, of Ernie’s or whatever.”

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Lee has been missed, but there have been benefits.

"It caused us to do some moving around a little bit," he said. "It’s probably caused us to see Wilber, who was steady against the Giants and again tonight. That may be a blessing for us."

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.com/cowboys/2013/12/cowboys-are-2-0-without-sean-lee-but-hes-still-there-just-in-another-body-says-demarcus-ware.html#storylink=cpy

Quote:
Though Rodgers practiced for the first time last week, he didn't play in the team's Thanksgiving loss to the Lions, and according to NFL.com, the team is worried Rodgers won't be ready to play in Week 14 -- which apparently was his target return date all along.

And if Rodgers can't play and it appears as though Green Bay is out of the playoff race, NFL.com reports it's possible the Packers will sit down Rodgers for the rest of the season so he can't do any further damage to his collarbone.

And if that's the case, Green Bay would be lucky to win another game this season.

Though Scott Tolzien showed some promise in his first start vs. the Giants in Week 10, he was pulled from his start in Week 12 in favor of the newly-acquired Matt Flynn, who showed some spark for Green Bay in its eventual tie vs. the Vikings.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24310148/report-packers-might-sit-down-aaron-rodgers-for-rest-of-season

Quote:
Despite all the things that had gone wrong for this defense for a stretch there in the 2nd quarter, the offense finally woke up and rallied for a touchdown right before half to make it a 21 - 14 game with an entire half to play. In the 2nd half it was a much different story, the pressure from the front seven improved and Holmes, Streater and Rivera didn't have the space that they had in the first half. The Raiders had two drives in the half where they had six yards or less for the entire drive and Brandon Carr who struggled in the first half, managed to make a key interception when the Raiders started a drive near midfield. Give this defense some credit for how they managed to turn things around after a bit of a rough start.

http://prod.www.cowboys.clubs.nfl.com/news/article-BryanBroaddusBlog/Scout%E2%80%99s-Notebook-Defensive-Coaches-Adjust-On-the-Run-/09c17c19-f695-4588-95d8-f84e6db4a5ac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Going into Sunday's game, Bears coach Marc Trestman said there were no expectations for Ratliff and added that the plan was to play the four-time Pro Bowler a predetermined amount of snaps and gauge his progress.

"I thought he played well," Trestman said. "We had him at 20-something snaps. We stayed true to that. I heard him come off a couple of times and say, 'Let me stay in my rhythm.' He felt he was mixing it up in there. So we felt pretty good that he'll be able to play much longer this week."

That's fine by Ratliff, who will be counted upon to play a significant role in bolstering the NFL's worst run defense.

The Bears (6-6) have given up 504 yards on the ground over the past two games, including 211 to Minnesota's Adrian Peterson, who averaged 6 yards per carry.

"After a loss you have 6-7 days to wait before you play again, and there's nothing to do but just work," Ratliff said. "That's why we watch film. We see the things that we need to work on. And if you've got anything to you, you're going to look at it and you're going to do everything in your power to fix it."

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/10072169/jeremiah-ratliff-chicago-bears-dallas-cowboys-just-another-game

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't even begin to describe my hopes that Dallas makes it a point to run directly at Rat. Fredbeard and Leary had better not let me down. Mad

Kiltman on avy Pepper90 on sig
George Selvie Fan Club
matt79511

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicago has been unfathomably bad against the run for months now. I don't know if Murray's going to have the type of game he typically saves for the Rams, but this team better do its best to make that happen.

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, selfishly, hope Lovie does not get a head gig anywhere this coming year and as a result he will accept being our DC.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
htfryar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
I, selfishly, hope Lovie does not get a head gig anywhere this coming year and as a result he will accept being our DC.

If Monte leaves and Lovie comes in as DC, I think even Slam and Plan would have to applaud Jerry for that move. Laughing

Homer Simpson wrote:
Beer, the cause of, and solution to all of life’s problems.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

If Monte leaves and Lovie comes in as DC, I think even Slam and Plan would have to applaud Jerry for that move. Laughing

Which is no doubt weird because I am still annoyed that we went back to the 43. Laughing

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
htfryar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
htfryar wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:

Which is no doubt weird because I am still annoyed that we went back to the 43. Laughing

Not me. I was mad that we switched to the 3-4. After several years of limited success in it, I was glad we switched back. It's a lot easier to draft for the 4-3 and the players have success early on.

Homer Simpson wrote:
matt79511

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So apparently Romo has started and finished exactly 16 December and January games since 2009- the equivalent of a full regular season. The stats:

400 completions, 593 attempts, 4696 yards, 33 touchdowns, 8 interceptions, 4 fumbles lost (67.5% completion, 7.92 YPA, 104.2 quarterbacking rating)

I don't want to use stats to prove or disprove anything, but that would be a better stat line than any he's put out in a single season, wouldn't it? I just thought it was interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt79511 wrote:
So apparently Romo has started and finished exactly 16 December and January games since 2009- the equivalent of a full regular season. The stats:

400 completions, 593 attempts, 4696 yards, 33 touchdowns, 8 interceptions, 4 fumbles lost (67.5% completion, 7.92 YPA, 104.2 quarterbacking rating)

I don't want to use stats to prove or disprove anything, but that would be a better stat line than any he's put out in a single season, wouldn't it? I just thought it was interesting.

The Romo haters will be quick to point out that he has a losing record in December and January. I would counter that it is a team game. Not every loss is on the QB.

Homer Simpson wrote:
WizardHawk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
matt79511 wrote:

The Romo haters will be quick to point out that he has a losing record in December and January. I would counter that it is a team game. Not every loss is on the QB.

Romo obviously has had his share of gaffes, but yeah, I'd say those stats lean towards a guy who could use a little more help from those around him.

btw, the idea of Lovie Smith running this defense almost makes me giddy. Needs a few more pieces, but still, would be a pretty exciting hire.

George Selvie Fan Club
JWingate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind the Cowboys looking at bringing in a veteran RB like Michael Turner, see if he can help this team.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 59m
Like we talked about this morning on Talkin' Cowboys. The Cowboys have signed FB Tyler Clutts. Going to grab a look here in a bit.

Strange signing imo.

The others Dallas worked out this AM.

Quote:
Bryan Broaddus ‏@BryanBroaddus 7h
Cowboys working out 4 RB and 1 FB this morning Armando Allen. Curtis Brinkley Delone Carter Shaun Draughn Tyler Clutts. Clutts is FB.

George Selvie Fan Club

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: