Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Does Bruce Carter deserve an extension?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Bruce Carter get an extension?
Yes, he'll bounce back. BRUCE LEE... enough said
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, but only if he's willing to take a Sean Lee type deal
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
No. Let him play out his contract
20%
 20%  [ 5 ]
It's still too early to tell
60%
 60%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 25

Tony7188

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Does Bruce Carter deserve an extension? Reply with quote

Before this season, many fans and experts believed that Bruce Carter was a vital piece to the Boys LB core and to this defense. Even though he finished the season on injured reserve, Bruce played big in the absence of Lee. His name was brought up as being the one next in line to receive an extension after Dez Bryant and Tyron Smith.

In this defense Carter has stayed healthy, but he doesn't look like the same highly athletic LB that he was before. Carter's play has been sub par overall, leading to his benching earlier this year against the Chargers. He was also involved in one of the worst plays of the year where he forgot to tackle a no name Giants TE after he caught the ball on 4th down, leading to a TD. The 3rd year player's response after the game? "I thought he landed out of bounds. That's why I stopped. It is what it is." So what do you guys think about Bruce Carter? Does Bruce Carter deserves to be extended even with his recent struggles and his history of injuries? Is his athleticism still there?

ware94 wrote:
Gameball: Any remaining Cowboys fans.
htfryar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted too early to tell. He has been too inconsistent in his play. I though he'd thrive in the new defense. That hasn't been the case. I say we let him go into next year and see how he performs. Besides, we have more important players that need to be re-signed.

Homer Simpson wrote:
Beer, the cause of, and solution to all of life’s problems.
CowboysTilIDie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:
I voted too early to tell. He has been too inconsistent in his play. I though he'd thrive in the new defense. That hasn't been the case. I say we let him go into next year and see how he performs. Besides, we have more important players that need to be re-signed.

+1

Huge props to LORK for the sig

Official Supporter of "The Process."
matt79511

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:

Basically sums it up. I think we could look into some more competition for him at WLB next year. Ernie Sims doesn't qualify. Maybe Wilber gets a shot? Holloman? We'll see.

This scheme is meant to have a transcendent talent at weakside linebacker, or at least a guy that can play all three downs and make impact plays. Carter remains the best in-house candidate for such a player but he's done little this season to indicate it.

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:

Well HT just dropped the mic.

/thread.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Tony7188

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
htfryar wrote:

Well HT just dropped the mic.

/thread.

I still would like to hear if people think that Bruce can bounce back from his struggles. Can he lead this defense if Sean Lee goes down. Because it doesn't look like it this year.

ware94 wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony7188 wrote:
I still would like to hear if people think that Bruce can bounce back from his struggles. Can he lead this defense if Sean Lee goes down. Because it doesn't look like it this year.

He certainly has the skill set. We have seen him excel before. There is more in favor to suggest he had trouble adjusting this year and will rebound than he will bust out hard in this defense. I understand that we often are prisoners of the moment, but there are a lot of factors to take into account when analyzing for the future.

Now, if he struggles next year then I think Dave will blow a gasket since I will be all in favor of letting him walk.

Kid has talent, it's a matter of executing.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
JWingate

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we re-sign him no doubt, but only if he is willing to take a deal like Barry Church did.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re sign...adequate deal...no pro bowler...
buddy_z34

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say re-sign him. He hasn't produced much so he wouldn't cost that much. Two years in a row Lee has gone down and this year unlike last has hurt his production. Plus I think he is playing out of position in this defense. Keep Wilber as our WLB and move Carter to SLB. When Lee comes back hopefully this move is executed and the defense should play better against the run.

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

htfryar wrote:

We also need to see how all of our LBs can/will play when we finally have a healthy defensive line. The limitations at d-line make everyone's job harder.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
textaz03

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Plan on this I do.

It's to early to tell at this point. He has struggled in this defense so far. Give him the offseason to make adjustments to his game and get a better Dline in front of him and see how he performs then.

Let him play out his contract.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
Tony7188

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plan9misfit wrote:
htfryar wrote:

We also need to see how all of our LBs can/will play when we finally have a healthy defensive line. The limitations at d-line make everyone's job harder.

Only problem is that we are losing a lot of talent on the DL. With Spencer and Ratliff gone after this season, along with Hatcher (and possibly Ware) this DL is going to be a work in progress to fix. They won't be able to fix it in one draft class. The DL may even take a step back next year due to the veteran starters being gone so by that logic it will effect the LBs even more.

ware94 wrote:
Dallas94Ware

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen him cover a guy out of the backfield? Have you seen him man-up on a TE? He has some really bad instincts in coverage.

Sure, he can take good angles vs the run, and he seems smart in his positioning. But you can get that with a lot of guys.

Carter isn't the worst we've got, but you can find better for cheaper. Gotta move on without him, especially if we're sticking with a zone based defense.

He's got a year left though, doesn't he? Maybe he catches on better next season and shows improvement. Maybe he doesn't. But he can at least finish out his contract before an extension should even be a thought.
Nova

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he would be nice trade bait. 4th or 5th rounder maybe?

One thing this team really needs is more draft picks to help build for the future.

We've gotten better at hitting on draft picks and we've gotten much worse at keeping cap space clear.

And every year this team has too many holes to fill and we've been behind the 8 ball at refilling the ranks. Time to get ahead with more draft picks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: