Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Manchester United call for stricter financial control in EPL
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ElReyDeLosReyes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:10 am    Post subject: Manchester United call for stricter financial control in EPL Reply with quote

I thought this was thread worthy on its own.... Laughing

Quote:
Manchester United are behind plans for tighter financial controls on Barclays Premier League clubs that would limit the spending power of rivals such as Manchester City.

United’s proposals received widespread support when they were put forward in June, and a range of measures will be up for discussion at a meeting on Thursday.

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan supports the idea, even though he suspects it might be partly motivated by the increased threat posed by City.

‘This proposal has come from Manchester United — I think City haven shaken them up a little bit — but I think there should be some controls on spending,’ said Whelan.

‘Some clubs are spending way more than they can afford and getting into trouble — just look at Portsmouth.

‘Something has to be done so we will support these measures.'
The proposals, similar to UEFA’s financial fair play rules, could lead to clubs being forced to break even every year or face sanctions.

While that might suit the likes of United and Arsenal, it would be bad news for City, whose losses of £197million in 2010-11 were the biggest in football history. United’s other big rivals, Chelsea and Liverpool, posted losses of £68m and £49m respectively.

However, United chief executive David Gill believes many clubs are in favour of the new measures.

Speaking last week, Gill said: ‘A lot of clubs would be happy just to introduce the financial fair play regulations into the Premier League now, some wouldn’t.

‘We’ve got financial regulations in the Championship and the Champions League, so we need to do it.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2198821/Manchester-United-want-limit-Manchester-City-spending.html

yankee0724 wrote:
My team is based heavily off of Mourinho at Madrid.
^ FC Barcelona Fan ^
The Wyzzinator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not as worried about transfer fees being bankrolled as much as wages. Maybe some sort of a luxury tax if a club is spending a certain % more in wages than they actually make through club revenues to discourage clubs from throwing 200k contracts at everyone.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The timing is curious, to be sure.

Turns out it was a dude.
ElReyDeLosReyes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Wyzzinator wrote:
I'm not as worried about transfer fees being bankrolled as much as wages. Maybe some sort of a luxury tax if a club is spending a certain % more in wages than they actually make through club revenues to discourage clubs from throwing 200k contracts at everyone.

That could work, but I think United wants City to stop buying every top talent that they can for massive transfer fees as well.

yankee0724 wrote:
My team is based heavily off of Mourinho at Madrid.
^ FC Barcelona Fan ^
RandomHero

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UTD only want this because it will benefit them. Simple as that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandomHero wrote:

^Joe_is_the_best
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandomHero wrote:
I don't particularly see what's wrong with that. Self-interested people can still produce good, beneficial ideas.
"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day.”
EnglishLion20

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Id love a salary cap and a transfer spending limit in football personally.

Soccer Forums Most Underated Poster 2012 Award Winner.
teamorange

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EnglishLion20 wrote:

I wouldn't, part of my enjoyment in sports is some of the outrageous deals some of the players get, for seemingly no particular reason (see pretty much any QPR transfer in the past year). Having no cap, almost no regulation makes that possible. It would still happen but to less of a degree.

Not to mention I can't really see it happening with all the football leagues around. If the EPL creates a cap than players will just move to Spain or visa versa.
EnglishLion20

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teamorange wrote:
EnglishLion20 wrote:

I wouldn't, part of my enjoyment in sports is some of the outrageous deals some of the players get, for seemingly no particular reason (see pretty much any QPR transfer in the past year). Having no cap, almost no regulation makes that possible. It would still happen but to less of a degree.

Not to mention I can't really see it happening with all the football leagues around. If the EPL creates a cap than players will just move to Spain or visa versa.

I cant see it happening, but I hate the money in football, hate the outrageous wage demands, hate that clubs can afford to give players £200,000 to sit on a bench, and literally buy players simply to stop their competitors buying them.

You dont need a youth system or plan for the future per say...Teams can bully teams to get players etc...

The gap just keeps increasing the best just get better and for me it gets boring.

Part of the reason I love the NFL, every team has a fair short, and you have to plan for the future and develop players.

As i say, my view wont be shared by everyone and thats perfectly fine.

Soccer Forums Most Underated Poster 2012 Award Winner.
DaveDX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an article not long ago pointing to the formation of the Premier League as the original (or at least most relevant to this) money-grab. Talk of needing rules to help protect clubs from themselves and promote "financial sustainability" was nowhere to be found before.

It seems to me as a newcomer that the sport has always been dog-eat-dog, and many clubs have benefited over the years from their marketing leverage at the expense of smaller clubs, similar to baseball teams and their individual TV deals (YES Network, for instance). And hey, if those are the rules (or lack thereof), then who's to cry foul with any legitimacy? Screw the Championship on down. But if lawlessness is the law of the land, the sudden need for a firm hand is very suspicious.

Turns out it was a dude.
texans_uk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn straight, we never posted a 200m loss on one season. And I literally lol, at people who think we are doing this purely because of city.

If you are coming in here thinking that is the most important thing then go find somewhere else to troll.

City aren't spending like Chelsea our untied, they blew everyone out of the water years ago. It's ridiculous.

DaveDX

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And 100% within the lack of rules. So if it's not about City, but City are the ridiculous ones...

Turns out it was a dude.
The Wyzzinator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even now it's pretty much within the rules as FFP isn't fully in place yet, but I think clubs have been working with UEFA to make plans to eventually break even.

I'm not overly bothered with specific teams and their spending habits, and I've kind of accepted the fact that my club will generally be on that 2nd tier behind City/United/Chelsea when it comes to landing big players. That being said we've been fairly shrewd in being able to go under the radar to acquire good players, and the big 3 can't sign them all, so there is talent left for Liverpool/Spurs/Arsenal/Newcastle to go after.

Even if you "level the playing field", from a parity standpoint it would only affect a small minority of teams which raise significantly more revenues from ticket sales, advertising, merchandising and tournament prize money than 90% of the other clubs in the Football League. I'm not against it and of course it benefits Man Utd., but it benefits a lot of other people as well, especially the fans.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://swissramble.blogspot.ch/2012/09/uefas-ffp-regulations-play-to-win.html

Great analysis of the FFP.

I agree with Man United's stance, even if obvious they have their own reasons for it. The circumstances of Chelsea and City coming out of nowhere to spend hundreds of millions in one go and buy titles, is just a joke.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Soccer All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: