Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Week 1 Fines: OT Smith, DBs Gomes, Mays, DEs Smith, Babin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coors wrote:
just wondering.. where do they get that number from? 15,750 or whatever it is, is just so random.

$15,000 last year, raised 5% this year.

Just like other fines went from $20,000 to $21,000

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NFL should apply football ("soccer") rules: When a player commits an obvious foul to prevent a TD (like Smith did), the ball should be placed at the 1, and the player should get a "red card"; meaning he will be suspended for the rest of the game. No automatically awarded points, but a penalty severe enough that will prevent a player from making a foul such as this. If he does commit such a penalty his team will be accordingly punished by having to play a back-up.
howie102

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dutchREDSKIN wrote:
The NFL should apply football ("soccer") rules: When a player commits an obvious foul to prevent a TD (like Smith did), the ball should be placed at the 1, and the player should get a "red card"; meaning he will be suspended for the rest of the game. No automatically awarded points, but a penalty severe enough that will prevent a player from making a foul such as this. If he does commit such a penalty his team will be accordingly punished by having to play a back-up.

Personally, I prefer the rugby concept of the "Penalty Try", whereby if a teams conduct (collapsing a scrum, etc) has prevented a try from "probably" being scored, a penalty try is awarded.

Works well enough, atlhough I've never actually come across a comparative incident,a side from this one, in the NFL. Thsoe seasoned fans amongst you come across this a little more?
reckless123

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all stupid. And im a giants fan.

If you cant punch it in from the 1 yard line, then its your fault. Its like in football (soccer), if you deny a goal scoring opportunity - it results in the player being sent off(red card). And if you cant take advantage of that penalisation then its your fault. Or a more similar example to this is that in soccer where a player deliberately commits a hand ball on the goal line - the player is sent off and your team is awarded a penalty kick after that if you cant score, then it is your fault.

Its like awarding a touchdown for deliberate PI in the endzone like somebody said.

Also to answer your question about the intentional grounding in the endzone, you have ways of avoiding intentional grounding, get outside of the hashes. If you do it in the endzone then it is a safety but im not mistaken if it is outside the endzone its a loss of down and 15 yard penalty. Also with intentional grounding youre avoiding a guarantee while a PI in the endzone you are avoiding a possibility if that makes sense.

"Champagne"..."Mountain Range"..."Hugs".
titwio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
This is all stupid. And im a giants fan.

If you cant punch it in from the 1 yard line, then its your fault.

This is not the point...The point is if the penalty is justified for the infraction.

Being a Giants fan has nothing to do with anything...I would argue this case if it happened to ANY team. The punishment for the circumstance is helpful to the defender and he can take advantage of the rule with any tackle necessary. By ANY MEANS necessary....including a tackle that has been eliminated from the sport to avoid injury.
titwio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
Also to answer your question about the intentional grounding in the endzone, you have ways of avoiding intentional grounding, get outside of the hashes. If you do it in the endzone then it is a safety but im not mistaken if it is outside the endzone its a loss of down and 15 yard penalty. Also with intentional grounding youre avoiding a guarantee while a PI in the endzone you are avoiding a possibility if that makes sense.

My bringing up the intentional grounding was in response to another poster saying "you don't score unless you score". The point of that is a team is rewarded for something that in his words could be thought of as "subjective rule" which rules that saying out.

Also the part where your saying intentional grounding is avoiding a guarantee is contradicting yourself in this argument and agreeing with me. I'm basically saying the same thing about a player going in for a score inside the 5yard line and being impeded by an illegal tackle. Isn't that player "guaranteed" to score too if not for the penalty?

Unless we include he could have a heart attack or something...
reckless123

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

titwio wrote:
reckless123 wrote:

My bringing up the intentional grounding was in response to another poster saying "you don't score unless you score". The point of that is a team is rewarded for something that in his words could be thought of as "subjective rule" which rules that saying out.

Also the part where your saying intentional grounding is avoiding a guarantee is contradicting yourself in this argument and agreeing with me. I'm basically saying the same thing about a player going in for a score inside the 5yard line and being impeded by an illegal tackle. Isn't that player "guaranteed" to score too if not for the penalty?

Yeh probably the rule is enforced because its on different sides of the ball. I dunno but i dont think a team should automatically be awarded points because somebody is on the verge of scoring. Also i dont think tyron smith intentionally did it, so maybe thats the case.Maybe its the case of where the offense has some perks which impacts a defense and vice-versa.

"Champagne"..."Mountain Range"..."Hugs".
titwio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
titwio wrote:
reckless123 wrote:

Yeh probably the rule is enforced because its on different sides of the ball. I dunno but i dont think a team should automatically be awarded points because somebody is on the verge of scoring. Also i dont think tyron smith intentionally did it, so maybe thats the case.Maybe its the case of where the offense has some perks which impacts a defense and vice-versa.

This is fair... I did say last page that the rule I proposed was just a suggestion. In reality I just think the league needs to look into it and change something. It seems on that play the defense is clearly being rewarded for something illegal.

I'll just conclude my thoughts here and ask people if they feel the penalty in this situation is fair ...If not then I welcome suggestions on what you think the league should do to modify the ruling.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
Week 1 #NFL Fines: #Texans DE Antonio Smith was fined $21,000 for kicking #Dolphins OL Richie Incognito.

https://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/status/246671932525772800

Quote:
Week 1 #NFL Fines: #Redskins DB DeJon Gomes was fined $8,000 for a hit to head of #Saints RB Darren Sproles.

http://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/statuses/246672803422674944
Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
***Update***
Quote:
Week 1 #NFL Fines: #Texans DE Antonio Smith was fined $21,000 for kicking #Dolphins OL Richie Incognito.

you've got to be kidding.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
***Update***
Quote:

you've got to be kidding.

This is the most ridiculous fine I've ever seen.
PatriotsWin!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it ridiculous? He kicked Incognito repeatedly in the head/neck area because he was holding him down to prevent the fumble recovery. Glad the league didn't buy Smith's bs excuse that Incog was trying to twist his ankles.

Mack on the sig
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
Week 1 NFL Fines: #Bengals DB Taylor Mays fined $21,000 for an unnecessary roughness hit on #Ravens TE Ed Dickson.

http://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/statuses/246699262883278848

Quote:
Week 1 NFL Fines: #Redskins DB Madieu Williams was fined $21,000 for an helmet to helmet hit against #Saints TE Jimmy Graham.

http://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/statuses/246701455225016320

Quote:
Week 1 NFL Fines: #Chiefs RB Shaun Draughn was fined $7,875 for a facemask penalty against the #Falcons.

http://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/statuses/246701257379692544

Quote:
Week 1 NFL Fines: #Broncos DB Rahim Moore was fined $21,000 for an unnecessary roughness hit against the #Steelers.

http://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/statuses/246701070947057664

Quote:
Week 1 NFL Fines: #Vikings DE Everson Griffen was fined $15,000 for a roughing the passer penalty against #Jaguars QB Blaine Gabbert.

http://twitter.com/NFL_RealUpdates/statuses/246701763053359104
Tom Brady Tribute
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love how Incognito clearly tries to injure Smith, and Smith gets fined Laughing

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
DreDay80

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatriotsWin! wrote:
Why is it ridiculous? He kicked Incognito repeatedly in the head/neck area because he was holding him down to prevent the fumble recovery. Glad the league didn't buy Smith's bs excuse that Incog was trying to twist his ankles.

You gotta be kidding me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: