Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

DeSean Jackson donates to the Wounded Warrior Project
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Integrity

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: DeSean Jackson donates to the Wounded Warrior Project Reply with quote

Eagles WR DeSean Jackson donated $50,000 to the Wounded Warrior Project, a nonprofit organization whose mission is to "honor and empower wounded warriors" of the United States Armed Forces.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/20120912_Eagles__DeSean_Jackson_donates__50_000_to_Wounded_Warrior_Project.html

I know its not exactly football related news, but I wanted to share this story. I know lots of NFL players donate to charities, but we rarely hear about them. The media seems to focus solely on the negative off the field stories.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: DeSean Jackson donates to the Wounded Warrior Project Reply with quote

Integrity wrote:
The media seems to focus solely on the negative off the field stories.

Especially with a player like DeSean. All people seem to concentrate on are his end zone dances and me-first attitude. I'm very glad this story was brought to the public so it can shed some light on the young man during what else happens in his off the field life.

Here's a few photos from yesterday's event:

Here's what Jackson had to say at the event:

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2012/9/11/3313361/desean-jackson-supporting-wounded-warriors-at-ft-dix-today
Quote:
"The Wounded Warrior Project is a great organization and this is something that I feel very grateful and blessed to be able to do," said Jackson. "My cousin, Jimmy Jackson, was a Sergeant E5 and won two purple hearts and two bronze stars after serving in Vietnam. After seeing what he's dealt with throughout his life, this is a cause that really hits home for me. The people in the military put their lives on the line for us every day. I think it's important to recognize the great service they provide for this country, especially at this time of year. I'm excited to meet some of the soldiers and let them know how much I appreciate what they do. They are true heroes."

Very classy! Applause
scar988

FF Fanatic
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good man right there. If you are gonna make all that money in the new contract, at least give some of it to the right people.

Dirty Bird Watch: DL Jonathan Babineaux
cp0k2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of players donate to charities, many have charities and foundations of their own. Desean Jackson gets a special thread because he's a malcontent that finally did something positive and selfless? Where's the threads for the charitable guys that actually live it and breathe it? Eh, should have been an Eagles forum topic or post.
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should probably be in NFL Gen or the Eagles forum.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cp0k2 wrote:
Lots of players donate to charities, many have charities and foundations of their own. Desean Jackson gets a special thread because he's a malcontent that finally did something positive and selfless? Where's the threads for the charitable guys that actually live it and breathe it? Eh, should have been an Eagles forum topic or post.

Rolling Eyes My point exactly about people focusing on DeSean's reputation too much. This is not the first time Jackson has reached out and helped others.

http://insidetheiggles.com/2012/09/10/helping-hand-eagles-desean-jackson-to-donate-50k-to-wounded-warriors/
Quote:
Jackson has also previously shown a willingness to help those in need when he helped Nadin Khoury, a local boy who was the victim of a bullying incident last year. He also has a foundation which provides support and funding for those dealing with pancreatic cancer.

He went on a show called The View last year to surprise that Philly area kid that was getting bullied:

Also, after DeSean's father passed away, he started a charity in his father's honor that raises money for pancreatic cancer research and treatment. I would say this latest donation is far from an isolated event.
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that bullied kid situation. Desean seems like a genuine nice guy, but the public's view of him is skewed.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
THESKINSFAN21

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff Cool

mike23md on the sig
David Amerson-48 Tackles 12 PD 2 INT 1 TD 1 FF
JoeT

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cp0k2 wrote:

A good cause is getting free publicity to an audience who probably isn't largely aware of it. I don't think it hurts anyone and I further don't think it would hurt if more posts like this were made.
jrry32

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RuskieTitan wrote:
I remember that bullied kid situation. Desean seems like a genuine nice guy, but the public's view of him is skewed.

Not surprising. People see how players act on the field and how they act in the business and assume that it is how they act away from the field. Couldn't be further from the truth.

Most these guys are very different people off the field than they are on it.

The LBC wrote:
Harper41 wrote:
Don't worry. Sean Payton would pass the ball in a Tornado.

But would he do it in a Sharknado?
RuskieTitan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrry32 wrote:
RuskieTitan wrote:

Not surprising. People see how players act on the field and how they act in the business and assume that it is how they act away from the field. Couldn't be further from the truth.

Most these guys are very different people off the field than they are on it.

Agreed. Cortland Finnegan is another prime example of this.

^^ryknowssd^^
Supporter of the Death Penalty in CFB
FF Hunger Games I Winner

titans0021 wrote:
Official Order
1.Michael Griffin

#JDI
eaglesfan10

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scumbag. Rolling Eyes
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we need more news posting likes this versus all of the negative stuff the media feeds us.
bucsfan333

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No wonder he wanted a bigger contract.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work Desean, glad to see this stuff come out and im glad the bullied kid thing came up too. Gotta love stuff like that

Victor Cruz Pun wrote:
BornToFly wrote:
Yes, I went to high school with Tony Romo

Did he do good on the homework and quizzes but choke on the tests?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: