Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

DeSean Jackson donates to the Wounded Warrior Project
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baconrad3

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen, you mad bro? Calm down. It's a good thread. Especially because this is a guy who everyone assumes is a giant [inappropriate/removed] because he is a bit cocky on the field and has swag. Yet not many people know about the incredibly charitable and genuinely nice things he has done off the field, such as this.

When people talk about players who do a lot in their community, Nnamdi Asomaghu always comes to mind first for me. Dude is the definition of a philanthropist. He has practically an essay written about all the things he does for the community and nonprofit organizations he's a part of in his Wiki page.

05, 06, 07, 08, and 09 he was nominated for the Byron "Whizzer" White Award for outstanding community service

In 2010 he actually won the Whizzer Award, which is apparently the NFLPA's highest honor.

Nominated for SI's Sportsman of the Year award in 2008

One of three finalists for the Walter Payton Man of the Year in 2011

There's a ton of other stuff Nnamdi has done but I don't feel like going through all of it. He's an incredible person, though

#OfficialBlakeBortlesHypeTrain
rise

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gmen wrote:
RandyMossIsBoss wrote:
smh at the people belittling this thread. This is a great thing that DeSean did and I wish there were more of these threads on here. Especially for players who are viewed negatively by the general public due to their on field persona. A few very charitable players that come to mind who seem to get a bad rep are Ndamukong Suh, Cortland Finnegan and Philip Rivers.

I just don't understand why there is a thread singling out Jackson and patting him on the back when there are other players around the league donating 60 times more. It's not like Jackson is some sort of Saint. He's probably amassed 50K in fines for stupid behavior on the field.
I generally don't care about player fines and most of their stupid behavior. I do like reading about players contributing positively but the forum would be awash in such stories if every player who has been charitable in one way or another was posted, especially an underwhelming story like this.
BlaqOptic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say this... Being from Upper Darby the entire thing with the bullied kid seemed staged from jump street and that never made me think any better of Jackson. However, seeing what he did for that kid from Florida and what he did here with WWP I'm starting to gain A LOT of respect for him.

Trust in the 4Bs: Ben, Bell, Blount and Brown!
Token

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always hear about Djax doing things like this. It makes it a little sad what the public perception of him is when he seems like a really good guy.
rise

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Sucks that ESPN and other social media outlets don't choose to publish this stuff, but instead focus on negative things.

Good for him!
To be fair, the good stuff is usually (ime) well covered on the local level. If a national pub was to write up every act of charity players and organizations do, it would be a bit over the top.

I think espn, nfl.com and yes, even this forum, should focus it's news on things that could actually impact a players ability to play. Those, unfortunately, are almost always negative.
AlexM23

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Desean!

Gmen wrote:
A $50,000 donation gets you a thread? Players regularly donate upwards of a million dollars, and we here little more than a peep about it.

Eli raised and donated 2.9 million dollars for a children's hospital last summer. Where was his thread?

Omg wow cool! I forgot how much donating to charity was a competition. Please make a thread, I wanna hear more about this!

Kiltman on the sig
Cicero

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammertime52 wrote:
Also hes wearing some sick Space Jams

First thing I noticed in the pick also. Laughing

I've got 2 pairs never worn still, might break one pair out this weekend though. Shocked

Wondering where I can apply for the DCRA?
MetalheadMedic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have hated the Eagles since 4th & 26.....but I've always liked this guy. Strong Work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: