Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

In today's nfl, how long do you stick with a QB?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
baysik

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: In today's nfl, how long do you stick with a QB? Reply with quote

simple question really... i've just been thinking. Are the developmental years gone (with the exception of Rodgers)?

if you were a decision maker in an NFL organization - be it HC or Owner, how long do you stick with a QB before you move on? What conditions make you change your decision?

What do you consider?
-Where he was drafted?
-the money he is worth contractually?
-his developmental future?
-his age?
-the supporting cast around him?
-your own coaching staff?

How many years would you stick with a vet of 5+ years?
How many years would you stick with a top 10 draft pick vs. a 2nd round QB?
How many years would you stick with a reclamation project (Alex Smith)?
How many years would you stick with a health hazard (Mike Vick)?

I feel like this question, answered differently, has claimed the lives of many NFL coaching careers. There's no one way to answer it, as obviously shown by the league. How do you approach this?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look at it from a year to year basis. If my QB is making the progression needed and my team is having success, I will be content with the position. If my QB is struggling and my team is finishing in the bottom 5-10, I will always consider taking a QB if that QB is the best value available. I dont care if I spent a first round pick on a QB already. If that first round QB is struggling and I am in position to draft a QB I potentially like even more, I pull the trigger. Chances are, one of the QBs can be traded in the future and between the two, I will have a QB myself.

Ideally I want the QB I originally draft to be that guy, but if he isnt, there is no reason to hang onto a guy too long simply because of draft status. The rookie wage scale tells us we no longer have to be occupied with salary.

So to answer the question, I would evaluate the QB position each year relative to the coming draft class until my QB is a proven top 10-15 QB who I feel comfortable growing with.
baysik

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how confident would your approach be if your QB was underperforming and your metrics of analysis told you QB AND OL were problem areas? how do you draft now?
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baysik wrote:
how confident would your approach be if your QB was underperforming and your metrics of analysis told you QB AND OL were problem areas? how do you draft now?

Basically describes the Vikings last year. You have to consider value and Matt Kalil was clearly the better pick over Ryan Tannehill.

If Griffin fell to the Vikings, it would have been something to consider.
Tzimisce

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big picture made up of little pictures. Too many variables.

I adopted some kid named Malcolm Butler
If anyone sees him, let me know.
neezy007

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Alex Smith the 9ers stuck with his because they had to. The options at QB were never good and there was more pressing needs. With the coordinators he had it tough to say the least. Many people forget he didn't have much help from either WRs, Oline, or coaching, and he was hurt for basically 2 seasons. Now it seems like it is working out. I doubt many, or any, QB will ever have the opportunity to stick around as long as Smith has.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the rookie wage scale in place, I no longer subscribe to the theory that because a team spent a first round pick on a QB that team cant touch the position with another early pick for another 3-4 years while that player develops.

I think that is a potentially dangerous way to build a team that can limit what you can do come draft day. Might even cost you the opportunity at getting an upgrade at the league's most valuable position.
carnageehw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3-4 years.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eli Manning could be the poster child for why teams should stick to their terrible young QBs.
64 Pass TDs
2032 Rush Yards
28 Rush TDs
6 4Q/OT GW Drives
Malik

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QBs can play well into their late 30s so age matters little to me. I don't believe in sticking with bad decisions based on pride (high draft picks) or because of money. The only thing I care about is what they have done on the field and how much I can reasonable expect for them to get better. I factor in things like if there is any offensive help they've had or if the coordinator is terrible when figuring out how much better I can expect them to be.
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the players was drafted top 10...3 years if they show very little or nothing...4 if they show some type of improvement each year.

If they are drafted first round...2 to 3...same rules apply.

Second round...1 to 2 years.

Beyond that, its up in the air and just depends on what they show, what other options at QB you have, and what options are avaiable.

If its a Jimmy Clausen/Cam Newton type situation, I fully endorse it. Clausen was drafted in the 2nd round but was laughably bad. Then they had a chance at a far more talented prospect and pulled the trigger.

Overall, if you drafted a QB top 10, you pretty much have to stick it out with them for at least 3 years based on the investment price.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
GmenSeattle

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpanthers178990 wrote:
Eli Manning could be the poster child for why teams should stick to their terrible young QBs.

You do realize Eli won a title in his 3rd full season right? Plus "terrible" is a rather strong word, he wasn't terrible.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang Mark Sanchez and Eli are kind of similar huh? The numbers are a little similar.
epicMustache

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cpanthers178990 wrote:

This... most people are ready to pull the switch after 1-2 years of a young QB sucking. How many potential greats have been wasted because of that?

THE PACK MAN wrote:
... but the Packers wouldnt be as good if they had the 49ers defense.

- Adopt a Buc -
Dekoda Watson: 14 tackles, 1 sack, 1 pass defended, 1 interception
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epicMustache wrote:
cpanthers178990 wrote:

This... most people are ready to pull the switch after 1-2 years of a young QB sucking. How many potential greats have been wasted because of that?

And how may duds have set franchises back a few years when they realized they dont have a QB in the wings to replace a flop.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: