Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Play calling or execution?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Play calling or Execution?
Those plays look good on paper!
26%
 26%  [ 5 ]
Do your job!
73%
 73%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 19

MightyRx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Play calling or execution? Reply with quote

I've been looking to bring this up forever so I guess now is as a good time.

Which takes priority?

A lot of Jaguars fans have complained that our former offense was predictable and conservative.
Whenever a play failed, they'd blame the OC or DC because the other team "saw" that coming and have voiced that we should be more exotic to "surprise" other teams.

I say you might be able to surprise the 1st time around but your game tape travels quickly and you won't get that luxury again.

I'm an execution guy.
I don't care about pencil whipping opponents.
For the most part, they know your tendencies. (especially division foes)
So if a 3rd and 1 play fails, it's because the defense outplayed the offense.
If it works, the offense outplayed the offense.

I've seen my fair share of isolation plays go the distance so I don't mind playing it safe because there is a chance at a big play happening that way also.
I don't mind the cover 2 because you limit the big play and offenses aren't patient, they tend to force things and that's when turnovers happen.

What camp are you in?
Steelerspower

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Execution and this is not even close

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably going against the grain here, but I think play calling takes a slight edge, if I had to pick one over the other. Plays are practiced and they give you the best chance of converting those 3rd downs.

For the elite players out there, execution comes naturally and they can usually make something out of nothing. Not everyone on your field is elite, though. In fact, many teams have no elite players. This is still a team game and teams practice plays as a team. Fortunately, even though a play is called, a good quarterback can read the defense and change the play, hoping to catch the defense off guard. This is where execution comes into play more.

Just one man's opinion.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For giants, its definitely play calling.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends what you're thinking of when you cite "superior play calling." I don't think exotic play calling (which seems to be what the OP focuses on) trumps good execution. But that's because exotic =/= effective.

Having an effective play-caller, on the other hand, puts players in better positions to succeed, and improves execution.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
Eagles_808

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:

You could say the same for the Eagles at many moments. From the unbalanced pass-rush ratio (when you have a top RB like McCoy and a line better suited to run block), to the playing of soft zone (when you have man cover CBs like Nnamdi and DRC).

Sure, execution is paramount as well. But the play calling puts the players in the situations that they need to execute in, so it has a lot to do with it (unless you have a Peyton Manning under center).
Poster4613

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say your play calling is limited by your team's ability to execute more than your execution's effectiveness being limited by your play calling so I picked execution.
MightyRx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagles_808 wrote:
reckless123 wrote:

You could say the same for the Eagles at many moments. From the unbalanced pass-rush ratio (when you have a top RB like McCoy and a line better suited to run block), to the playing of soft zone (when you have man cover CBs like Nnamdi and DRC).

Sure, execution is paramount as well. But the play calling puts the players in the situations that they need to execute in, so it has a lot to do with it (unless you have a Peyton Manning under center).

Funny you mention Peyton Manning.
He's what I had in mind when I started this thread.
I was reading that they really only had like 15 plays that they ran out a handful of formations
It was about executing it better than teams could defend it.
Let me see if I can find the article.
Here it is
epicMustache

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Execution. All the pretty play calls in the world don't mean a thing if the players aren't executing.

THE PACK MAN wrote:
... but the Packers wouldnt be as good if they had the 49ers defense.

- Adopt a Buc -
Dekoda Watson: 14 tackles, 1 sack, 1 pass defended, 1 interception
Malik

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on which side your talent fence is on. If your team has a bunch of potential Pro Bowl/All-Pro players then it has more to do with execution. If your team has a rag tag team of spunky average players than play calling can help A LOT. The Jets defense only has 2 legitimately great players in their own right. Everyone else is pretty decent to good. Rex Ryan has made them one of the best defenses in the league through his playcalling design. That's not to say execution isn't important, but this defense would perform ENTIRELY differently with a different coach at the helm.
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely execution, though IMO, in order for execution to be consistent, your play calling has to align with that execution. That is, a play caller has to recognize what your team does best and continue to call plays based around that.

^ I don't quite get why simon made this my losing sig about the Chiefs. I don't think I've made a single post in this forum.

XBL GT: kanxalanx
Tacos

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play calling, because if you can't execute consistently you shouldn't be playing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tacos wrote:
Play calling, because if you can't execute consistently you shouldn't be playing.

Play calling is worthless if you dont have players who cant execute said play.
Tacos

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Tacos wrote:

I suppose I may be misinterpreting the topic but I see favoring execution as favoring low risk, vanilla, plays. I'm strongly against that. Naturally execution is important, but it should be expected, so in that regard I think out-thinking the opponent is more important.

Otherwise, there's not much point to the topic since being able to do your job is the most important aspect of the game.

Last edited by Tacos on Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tacos wrote:
vikingsrule wrote:
Tacos wrote:

I suppose I may be misinterpreting the topic but I see favoring execution as favoring low risk, vanilla, plays. I'm strongly against that. Naturally execution is important, but it should be expected, so in that regard I think out-thinking the opponent is more important.

Otherwise, there's not much point to the topic since being able to do your job is the most important aspect of the game.

Basically. If your not executing plays, the play call wont matter much. Unless you have a freak player who can do it all on their own. Think Adrian Peterson getting the ball and having to improvise because there is nowhere to run, but still manages to pull of a nice run. Even Tim Tebow in Denver, his execution of the called play was probably horrendous but he still managed to make something happen.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: