Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

My QB Tiers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TommyC376


Joined: 08 Feb 2008
Posts: 10266
Location: Capital Wasteland
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heavinsent wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:

How is RGIII rated above Luck after 1 game? This post has too many flaws.


Why would Luck be rated higher than RGIII?
They should be on the same level, since well, I mean they played one game total in their career.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Archimedes


Joined: 15 Aug 2012
Posts: 722
Location: KC, Mo
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My QB Tiers Reply with quote

Fired-Up wrote:
Disclaimer: This is current rankings. 2004 for example need not apply. I generally looking at the last 4 or 5 years or so.

Tier 1: The best of the best. The super elite. These QB's have the ring(s), Super Bowl MVP's, League MVP's, peer respect, track record, immunity to down seasons, ball protection, intelligence, velocity, etc. Basically everything you want in a QB. Virtually flawless. Can carry a team on their back. (Brady, Rodgers)

Tier 2: Elite QB's, but some areas are question marks. Possible INT concerns, down season concerns, possible injury concers. Not a whole lot separating them from tier 1, but at the same time not as consistent or dominant. Possibly a few years removed from their prime. Does not require a league MVP. Can carry a team on their back. (P. Manning, Brees)

Tier 3: Borderline elite QB's. Usually have a glaring weakness on their resume though. Can have consistency issues, velocity or accuracy issues, playoff failures, underwhelming production. The good however heavily outweighs the bad. (Rivers, Romo, Eli, Ben, Ryan, Stafford)

Tier 4: Franchise QB's. Most fans would be happy to have these QB's. They can generally have the same weaknesses as tier 3, but their's are more pronouced. Still the good outweighs the bad. (Flacco, Schaub, Newton, Dalton, Smith, Cutler)

Tier 5: Basically just average QB's. If this guy is on your team you desperatly need to upgrade at the QB position or wait for development. Super Bowls are pretty much a no go. (Sanchez, RGIII, Palmer, Vick)

Tier 6: Definitely below average QB's. Something has to get done. If they aren't a rookie you must question their job security. Filled with young QB's because let's be real if you are vet and you suck this bad you are gone. (Freeman, Bradford, Luck, Cassel, Ponder, Fitzpatrick)

Tier 7: Why is this guy starting in the NFL? Or why in the world did we draft him? Or maybe just completely unproven with terrible measureables. (Wilson, Locker, Skelton)

Tier 8: Just a complete and total disaster. (Weeden, Tannehill, Gabbert.)


I really don't know what concerns Brees would have that would keep him out of tier 1. I also think Rivers, and Eli deserve to be in tier 2. I'd combine tier 3 and 4, and take Dalton, Smith, and Schaub down one rung, with the potential to move up, pending on what they accomplish this year. I wouldn't include any rookies yet, and then you might as well combine all the others in a bottom tier, cause I don't know that anything really separates them.
_________________
Numbers rule the universe.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Archimedes


Joined: 15 Aug 2012
Posts: 722
Location: KC, Mo
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bite my tongue, I forgot Big Ben, he deserves to be in tier 2 as well.
_________________
Numbers rule the universe.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DreDay80


Joined: 09 Jan 2012
Posts: 2180
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move Dalton a tier down, he doesn't belong with those players as they're WAY better than him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fired-Up


Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 788
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My QB Tiers Reply with quote

Archimedes wrote:

I really don't know what concerns Brees would have that would keep him out of tier 1. I also think Rivers, and Eli deserve to be in tier 2. I'd combine tier 3 and 4, and take Dalton, Smith, and Schaub down one rung, with the potential to move up, pending on what they accomplish this year. I wouldn't include any rookies yet, and then you might as well combine all the others in a bottom tier, cause I don't know that anything really separates them.


Brees has INT concerns. He thew 22 in 2010. He has consistency concerns considering 2010 was just simply not a good year for him. Brees hasn't won an MVP. That's basically a media admission that you are the best player in the NFL. Tier 1 is "the best player in the league" type of tier.
_________________
The Packers are the premier franchise in the NFL. DEAL WITH IT.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikingsrule


Moderator
Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 47887
Location: Land of 10,000 Lakes!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too harsh on Gabbert and too high on Ponder. I think they should be lumped together. Neither QB has really shown significnatly more than the other and both have huge flaws to overcome going forward.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TommyC376


Joined: 08 Feb 2008
Posts: 10266
Location: Capital Wasteland
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: My QB Tiers Reply with quote

Fired-Up wrote:
Archimedes wrote:

I really don't know what concerns Brees would have that would keep him out of tier 1. I also think Rivers, and Eli deserve to be in tier 2. I'd combine tier 3 and 4, and take Dalton, Smith, and Schaub down one rung, with the potential to move up, pending on what they accomplish this year. I wouldn't include any rookies yet, and then you might as well combine all the others in a bottom tier, cause I don't know that anything really separates them.


Brees has INT concerns. He thew 22 in 2010. He has consistency concerns considering 2010 was just simply not a good year for him. Brees hasn't won an MVP. That's basically a media admission that you are the best player in the NFL. Tier 1 is "the best player in the league" type of tier.

I'll quote myself again, Brees did not have a bad 2010, it was actually quite good, if you compare it to ther other QBs in the league that year.
TommyC376 wrote:
2010 Brees - 68.1%//4,620 yrds//33 TDs//22 Ints//90.9 RTG ... Doesnt seem like a "down" year to me. (Source)

2010 Manning - 66.3%//4,700 yrds//33 TDs//17 Ints//91.9 RTG ... Again, doesnt seem like a "down" year to me (Source)


Italics -> He may have not won an MVP, however he did win AP NFL Offensive Player of the Year twice (2008, and 2011 (the year Rodgers won MVP))
_________________


Last edited by TommyC376 on Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fired-Up


Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 788
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My QB Tiers Reply with quote

TommyC376 wrote:
Fired-Up wrote:
Archimedes wrote:

I really don't know what concerns Brees would have that would keep him out of tier 1. I also think Rivers, and Eli deserve to be in tier 2. I'd combine tier 3 and 4, and take Dalton, Smith, and Schaub down one rung, with the potential to move up, pending on what they accomplish this year. I wouldn't include any rookies yet, and then you might as well combine all the others in a bottom tier, cause I don't know that anything really separates them.


Brees has INT concerns. He thew 22 in 2010. He has consistency concerns considering 2010 was just simply not a good year for him. Brees hasn't won an MVP. That's basically a media admission that you are the best player in the NFL. Tier 1 is "the best player in the league" type of tier.

I'll quote myself again, Brees did not have a bad 2010, it was actually quite good, if you compare it to ther other QBs in the league that year.
TommyC376 wrote:
2010 Brees - 68.1%//4,620 yrds//33 TDs//22 Ints//90.9 RTG ... Doesnt seem like a "down" year to me. (Source)

2010 Manning - 66.3%//4,700 yrds//33 TDs//17 Ints//91.9 RTG ... Again, doesnt seem like a "down" year to me (Source)


That's a down year in comparison to Brady and Rodgers. A 90 RTG is a down year for an elite QB. 22 picks.
_________________
The Packers are the premier franchise in the NFL. DEAL WITH IT.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TommyC376


Joined: 08 Feb 2008
Posts: 10266
Location: Capital Wasteland
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: My QB Tiers Reply with quote

Fired-Up wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:
Fired-Up wrote:
Archimedes wrote:

I really don't know what concerns Brees would have that would keep him out of tier 1. I also think Rivers, and Eli deserve to be in tier 2. I'd combine tier 3 and 4, and take Dalton, Smith, and Schaub down one rung, with the potential to move up, pending on what they accomplish this year. I wouldn't include any rookies yet, and then you might as well combine all the others in a bottom tier, cause I don't know that anything really separates them.


Brees has INT concerns. He thew 22 in 2010. He has consistency concerns considering 2010 was just simply not a good year for him. Brees hasn't won an MVP. That's basically a media admission that you are the best player in the NFL. Tier 1 is "the best player in the league" type of tier.

I'll quote myself again, Brees did not have a bad 2010, it was actually quite good, if you compare it to ther other QBs in the league that year.
TommyC376 wrote:
2010 Brees - 68.1%//4,620 yrds//33 TDs//22 Ints//90.9 RTG ... Doesnt seem like a "down" year to me. (Source)

2010 Manning - 66.3%//4,700 yrds//33 TDs//17 Ints//91.9 RTG ... Again, doesnt seem like a "down" year to me (Source)


That's a down year in comparison to Brady and Rodgers. A 90 RTG is a down year for an elite QB. 22 picks.
Really? Really? How is a 90 RTG a down year? Ok yeah he had 22 picks, but they didnt have a running game at all that year. But You cannot be serious if you dont think a 90 RTG is good for a QB.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fired-Up


Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 788
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My QB Tiers Reply with quote

TommyC376 wrote:
Fired-Up wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:
Fired-Up wrote:
Archimedes wrote:

I really don't know what concerns Brees would have that would keep him out of tier 1. I also think Rivers, and Eli deserve to be in tier 2. I'd combine tier 3 and 4, and take Dalton, Smith, and Schaub down one rung, with the potential to move up, pending on what they accomplish this year. I wouldn't include any rookies yet, and then you might as well combine all the others in a bottom tier, cause I don't know that anything really separates them.


Brees has INT concerns. He thew 22 in 2010. He has consistency concerns considering 2010 was just simply not a good year for him. Brees hasn't won an MVP. That's basically a media admission that you are the best player in the NFL. Tier 1 is "the best player in the league" type of tier.

I'll quote myself again, Brees did not have a bad 2010, it was actually quite good, if you compare it to ther other QBs in the league that year.
TommyC376 wrote:
2010 Brees - 68.1%//4,620 yrds//33 TDs//22 Ints//90.9 RTG ... Doesnt seem like a "down" year to me. (Source)

2010 Manning - 66.3%//4,700 yrds//33 TDs//17 Ints//91.9 RTG ... Again, doesnt seem like a "down" year to me (Source)


That's a down year in comparison to Brady and Rodgers. A 90 RTG is a down year for an elite QB. 22 picks.
Really? Really? How is a 90 RTG a down year? Ok yeah he had 22 picks, but they didnt have a running game at all that year. But You cannot be serious if you dont think a 90 RTG is good for a QB.


In comparison to Brady and Rodgers a 90 RTG is bad. That's why Brees is in a tier lower than Brady and Rodgers. Basically they are better QB's.
_________________
The Packers are the premier franchise in the NFL. DEAL WITH IT.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TommyC376


Joined: 08 Feb 2008
Posts: 10266
Location: Capital Wasteland
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: My QB Tiers Reply with quote

Fired-Up wrote:
In comparison to Brady and Rodgers a 90 RTG is bad. That's why Brees is in a tier lower than Brady and Rodgers. Basically they are better QB's.
Well if were going to go by RTG.

Brady has a QB Rating above 100.0 - 4 times.
Brees has a QB Rating above 100.0 - 3 times.

Case in point Brees is an all world QB and deserves to be in the same class as Aaron Rodgers who has a much smaller sample size of stats comapred to Brees.

We get it, you LOVE Aaron Rodgers, but Peyton Manning and Drew Brees are in the same category as him, and are frankly IMO just as good, if not better than him.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jgold72288


Joined: 09 Jul 2011
Posts: 521
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: My QB Tiers Reply with quote

Fired-Up wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:
Fired-Up wrote:
Archimedes wrote:

I really don't know what concerns Brees would have that would keep him out of tier 1. I also think Rivers, and Eli deserve to be in tier 2. I'd combine tier 3 and 4, and take Dalton, Smith, and Schaub down one rung, with the potential to move up, pending on what they accomplish this year. I wouldn't include any rookies yet, and then you might as well combine all the others in a bottom tier, cause I don't know that anything really separates them.


Brees has INT concerns. He thew 22 in 2010. He has consistency concerns considering 2010 was just simply not a good year for him. Brees hasn't won an MVP. That's basically a media admission that you are the best player in the NFL. Tier 1 is "the best player in the league" type of tier.

I'll quote myself again, Brees did not have a bad 2010, it was actually quite good, if you compare it to ther other QBs in the league that year.
TommyC376 wrote:
2010 Brees - 68.1%//4,620 yrds//33 TDs//22 Ints//90.9 RTG ... Doesnt seem like a "down" year to me. (Source)

2010 Manning - 66.3%//4,700 yrds//33 TDs//17 Ints//91.9 RTG ... Again, doesnt seem like a "down" year to me (Source)


That's a down year in comparison to Brady and Rodgers. A 90 RTG is a down year for an elite QB. 22 picks.
What about Brady in 2001-2003 and again in 2006?

By the way, I'm fine with Manning being in the second tier due to uncertainty (though in a few weeks he'll have had a big enough sample size to disprove that), but penalizing him for a few bad games in 2010 when almost all his weapons were out at around the same time and he had no running game and one of the worst O-lines in football doesn't seem all that accurate.
_________________
"He used statistics as a drunken man uses lampposts; for support rather than illumination."
-Andrew Lang
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fired-Up


Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 788
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My QB Tiers Reply with quote

TommyC376 wrote:
Fired-Up wrote:
In comparison to Brady and Rodgers a 90 RTG is bad. That's why Brees is in a tier lower than Brady and Rodgers. Basically they are better QB's.
Well if were going to go by RTG.

Brady has a QB Rating above 100.0 - 4 times.
Brees has a QB Rating above 100.0 - 3 times.

Case in point Brees is an all world QB and deserves to be in the same class as Aaron Rodgers who has a much smaller sample size of stats comapred to Brees.

We get it, you LOVE Aaron Rodgers, but Peyton Manning and Drew Brees are in the same category as him, and are frankly IMO just as good, if not better than him.


Tom Brady will NEVER throw 22 picks. I can't even believe you would say Brees is better than Brady. Tom Brady has 2 MVP's. Brady had a 50/8 season. Brady constantly wins games. Brees doesn't have a great QB record. This is mind boggling to me. Brees is not as good as Brady. He's just not.
_________________
The Packers are the premier franchise in the NFL. DEAL WITH IT.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TommyC376


Joined: 08 Feb 2008
Posts: 10266
Location: Capital Wasteland
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: My QB Tiers Reply with quote

Fired-Up wrote:
TommyC376 wrote:
Fired-Up wrote:
In comparison to Brady and Rodgers a 90 RTG is bad. That's why Brees is in a tier lower than Brady and Rodgers. Basically they are better QB's.
Well if were going to go by RTG.

Brady has a QB Rating above 100.0 - 4 times.
Brees has a QB Rating above 100.0 - 3 times.

Case in point Brees is an all world QB and deserves to be in the same class as Aaron Rodgers who has a much smaller sample size of stats comapred to Brees.

We get it, you LOVE Aaron Rodgers, but Peyton Manning and Drew Brees are in the same category as him, and are frankly IMO just as good, if not better than him.


Tom Brady will NEVER throw 22 picks. I can't even believe you would say Brees is better than Brady. Tom Brady has 2 MVP's. Brady had a 50/8 season. Brady constantly wins games. Brees doesn't have a great QB record. This is mind boggling to me. Brees is not as good as Brady. He's just not.

Please re-read the bolded part, at no point did I say they would are better than Brady, I said they are just as good or better than Aaron Rodgers.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Archimedes


Joined: 15 Aug 2012
Posts: 722
Location: KC, Mo
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My QB Tiers Reply with quote

Fired-Up wrote:
Brees has INT concerns. He thew 22 in 2010. He has consistency concerns considering 2010 was just simply not a good year for him. Brees hasn't won an MVP. That's basically a media admission that you are the best player in the NFL. Tier 1 is "the best player in the league" type of tier.


From 2009 to 2011, Brees has an over 100 qb rating, just like Brady and Rogers, he's thrown over 100 tds just like both, he's completed over 65% of his passes, just like both, won at least 35 regular season games, just like both, and thrown for over 14,000 yds, which neither have done. Oh by the way, he defeated one of the five greatest qbs all time head to head in a superbowl. I think all that offsets the few more picks and it damn sure qualifies him as consistent.
_________________
Numbers rule the universe.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group