Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

GDT Week 2: Broncos [1-0] @ Falcons [1-0] MNF!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JerseysFinest27

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbronx42 wrote:
Elvis Dumervil has sucked so far this season... Isn't helping Von at all on the other side which is causing teams to chip Miller almost all game. I know Doom can get sacks in bunches, but he's not even getting pressure in 1-on-1 situations. Against the likes of Max Starks and Sam Baker nonetheless.

I actually thought Elvis played better last night. He wasnt a liability in the run but he still wasnt getting to the passer, which is what hes being paid to do. I understand what youre saying but Elvis was getting decent amounts of pressures.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
dbronx42 wrote:
Elvis Dumervil has sucked so far this season... Isn't helping Von at all on the other side which is causing teams to chip Miller almost all game. I know Doom can get sacks in bunches, but he's not even getting pressure in 1-on-1 situations. Against the likes of Max Starks and Sam Baker nonetheless.

I actually thought Elvis played better last night. He wasnt a liability in the run but he still wasnt getting to the passer, which is what hes being paid to do. I understand what youre saying but Elvis was getting decent amounts of pressures.

im looking forward to sunday, to see how this team bounces back after a hard fought loss. living in kc, on the radio this morning they loved how denver fought back into the game unlike the team here. third playoff team in a row, love how the defense is getting tested early and often. i think we will a lot of improvement, this game will be more like the steelers game in my opinion.
elliot878

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
dbronx42 wrote:

I would say Doom is getting a push, just isn't getting there to finish the job. Compared to years past our DL as a whole has done a good job of getting more push.

I fell asleep sometime in the 3rd quarter, but there were a good number of times we'd get good pressure (mostly Von), and Matt Ryan would get rid of the ball in the nick of time, or buy a second with his feet. I give credit to Ryan, when his pocket was collapsing he had a good feel for the oncoming blitz and would slip out, or get the ball out quick. There was more than one occasion where I said in my head "oh we got him" and then, well, we didnt.

Officiating was pathetic, we were lucky to be down 13 after four first quarter turnovers. There was little hope of coming back from that though. This was not a Giants vs Bucs type matchup where a magnificent comeback could be had off a bad start. We played a good team, weren't comin back, but at least they made it close.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbronx42 wrote:
Anybody notice how Von Miller is the ultimate trendsetter? Everybody in the sports world started copying his glasses, now people are stealing his "eat greedy" dance? Saw it done by Pitt and Atlanta several times the past 2 weeks.

Von don't care. He just comes up with something new and more awesome. Look for defenders to start stealing it next week.

Weatherspoons been "spoon feeding" for quite some time, and rightfully so, as its in his name.

Von Millers best dance of his career was the one he did against the Steelers a couple weeks ago, but he didn't start it. It's from the Little Giants. You're telling me you don't remember Kenny "Hot Hands" Hanon?!?

My buddy texted me so pissed off that night Von did it because he used to do it back in high school after a sack lol.

I'm not gonna call Von a trend setter, but the guys got a good at bringing back the classics.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching this game, One thing is for sure. Zane Beadles is the real deal. Power Blocking, Pulling and Zone Blocking, He was just a man among boys out there. It wasnt even because Peyton drifts to his right more either. He was just clearly man handling his assignment all game. I think You guys have the makings of a good left side for years to come.

give the ravens brohm, no way they pass him, we need a quarterback that is not retarded
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what you guys are slobbering over. Zane Beadles was pulling and double teaming all game long. The few times in redzone areas he single blocked he was stood up at the play, but kept working which helped allow the running back to move forward. Nothing special, nothing different from what he did all last year. One of our very first plays, about 13 seconds into the game Beadles ended up on the ground after an ineffective block against Babineaux.

I mean on the Mcgahee touchdown play Zane Beadles didn't even hardly block anyone on the pull and Jon Gruden was ready to emphasize how McGahee ran behind him right on cue. In reality this should be a testament to how good the blocking was from everyone else that your puller didn't have to block anyone and the RB went in untouched into the endzone. Zane Beadles is a decent player, he was last year, he is this year. He's not a "man amongst boys", he's just a decent player whose strength is in pull blocking. Making him out to be anything more is a bit silly.

It sounds to me like people are just impressed with Beadles because Gruden called his name a few times(never called Walton's name when he made impressive blocks which was too bad because he had several good ones and he blocked Weatherspoon on the second level just as well as Beadles or anyone else) and not because of anything he actually did. He's the same old Zane Beadles as ever.

Last edited by AntiSuperstar on Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:37 pm; edited 2 times in total
elliot878

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
I don't know what you guys are slobbering over. Zane Beadles was pulling and double teaming all game long. The few times in redzone areas he single blocked he was stood up at the play, but kept working which helped allow the running back to move forward. Nothing special, nothing different from what he did all last year. And it's not even like Beadles did good everytime he pulled or double team. One of our very first plays, about 13 seconds into the game Beadles ended up on the ground after an ineffective block against Babineaux.

I mean on the Mcgahee touchdown play Zane Beadles didn't even hardly block anyone on the pull and Jon Gruden was ready to emphasize how McGahee ran behind him right on cue. In reality this should be a testament to how good the blocking was from everyone else that your puller didn't have to block anyone and the RB went in untouched into the endzone. Zane Beadles is a decent player, he was last year, he is this year. He's not a "man amongst boys", he's just a decent player whose strength is in pull blocking. Making him out to be anything more is a bit silly.

It sounds to me like people are just impressed with Beadles because Gruden called his name a few times(never called Walton's name when he made impressive blocks which was too bad because he had several good ones and he blocked Weatherspoon on the second level just as well as Beadles or anyone else) and not because of anything he actually did.

Gruden was raving about JD Walton in the first or second quarter. If Gruden goes back to coaching we can probably ship Walton to him for a high first the way he was talking about him.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Dumervil, I remember only three times all game he got good pressure, on one the offense let him run in and tried to just have Turner cut him(which he leaped over), on another he was being blocked by Harry Douglas(with a running back eventually coming in to help too late), and on another he stunted from outside to inside and the guard Blalock couldn't reach him in time(so Matt Ryan ran for a first). Everytime Dumervil was going against Tackle Sam Baker, he was getting taken to school. The guy hasn't been very impressive so far this season.

Von played well, and on the whole Atlanta played like they were scared of our pass rush, taking very few shots down the field. I recall one play in the 1st half where they sent Jones into the endzone, he got open against our secondary but dropped the ball in the endzone. Outside of that they took very few shots, which frankly was a mistake on their part if you ask me.

Keith Brooking wasn't that impressive either by the way. He was basically the clean-up man, making tackles when he was in position to thanks to everyone else. When he actually had to battle through blocks he did a poor job. He missed some tackles too. Those criticizing Joe Mays and praising Brooking don't know what they're talking about. I still like that we took away some time from Woodyard by using Brooking though.

Most of the game we covered Gonzalez with Safeties, usually playing way off, and we might have either Mays or a linemen drop into underneath areas. This wasn't very effective(and in general we had several plays where we dropped back Vickerson into coverage which was harmless to the offense and only took away a pass rusher), I don't know why we did it. Woodyard only covered Gonzalez a couple of times that I remember, on one he got beat on a play action crossing route(which was a tough cover and Gonzalez made an impressive catch admittedly) and on another he covered him pretty well. I would have tried using Woodyard more as the cover man as I think. I also saw us play dime at one point with Quinton Carter as the 6th defensive back. Why we did this I don't know. None of our Safeties are very good in man coverage it has to be said.

Matt Willis played an outstanding game on Special Teams.

The Falcons showed no respect for our running game pretty much playing nickel all game long, even if it was a two tight end set with Mcgahee. And at first they defended the run pretty well out of these sets. But Peyton kept audibling unselfishly to draw plays where Zane Beadles pulls right and we had good success with these plays. We also stuck with the running game all game long which I think started to tire out the Falcons defenders.

We also had moments with screen passes. For some reason Atlanta thought it was a good idea to blitz the nickel corner repeteadly in the 1st half, even though we beat this with short passes just like we did against Pittsburgh. In the 2nd half they stopped this, and the screens stopped being effective. But I definately like what Thomas brings on screen passes with a blocker in front.

The Peyton interceptions were terrible decisions, but they were also terrible playcalls. Let's look past the fact that the Falcons were ready for those plays and saw them coming the whole way, one of those INTs was a deep pass to Brandon Stokley. Now what is the likelyhood of a deep pass to Stokley succeeding? Terrible call. That is about as bad as the Redskins shot play last year of Rex Grossman throwing to Jabar Gaffney, and no surprise that one was a pick too. Don't ask your players to do things they can't do.

I thought Wolfe was very up and down, he was never outright terrible out there but he was dissapointing on so many plays(including being on the ground too much) after having a big game against Pittsburgh. Frankly I almost feel like Unrein should have seen more time, as he looked good out there. Also I don't think our D-Line did a good enough job getting their hands up on pass plays.

Our goal line defense, especially considering we are missing guys, was good. It consisted of Dumervil, Wolfe, Vickerson, Bannan, Unrein, and Miller on the line, Woodyard and Leonhard each playing on opposide sides standing up on the LOS, and Mays, Brooking, and Adams were the back three.

The love affair with Jacob Tamme can end after this game as our coaching staff's gameplan clearly involved overrating what this guy can do. We need to start featuring Decker more and even run him deep a few times a game so defenses have to respect him. When we did make an effort to go to him he played alright.

Knowshon Moreno is a bum, it really cannot be said enough.

Ramirez started to show a lot of the flaws I thought he would show(but didn't) against Pittsburgh. It's a positive that he was able to settle down a bit and gave up less bad plays in the 2nd half, but nonetheless it can't be denied he played a bad game. Peria Jerry and Vance Walker ate him up.

So on the whole that sounded very negative. Frankly I'm not convinced we aren't a far better team than the Falcons. We played with more energy throughout the game and I felt like we came out far worse prepared than they were, yet as the game went on Atlanta started to fall apart and we were closing the gap. Those turnovers just killed us like everyone says. What it clear from this game is that the praise for McCoy was premature. His gameplan was an utter failure.
elwayfan07

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know Anti, I agree with you about Unrein. He has really improved this year. I'm not sure if he has made strides or if JDR is utilizing him well, or both. However, I have been impressed with how stout he has been in run defense. He has shown a little bit of ability to push the pocket.. I still like Wolfe on the LDE spot in the base D. His powerful bullrush works better there. However, with Denver using the nickel so much he didn't get the oppurtunity to lineup there very much

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few observations.

Carter looked pretty good. We've got the best group of CB's I can ever remember this franchise having. Moore is developing rapidly. I just wish QC could step it up and take over for Adams.

DL looked very good again. Seems we're running more slants and stunts but sometimes hard to tell from the sideline cam. Hey lomax, can you check out our DL on the "22" this week and see why we look so active?

OL played pretty well, especially considering all the looks and motion they had to contend with. LG and C have improved over last year but we really miss Kuper. Ramirez is outmatched.

Nolan provided a great blueprint for how to defend against PM. Wish it would have happened later in the year.

Maybe PM's got most of his strength back, but I've never seen him throw up 3 wounded ducks in a row for picks. Seems he's got happier feet than usual also.

Willis is a stud, Moreno is not.

Von needs to stop his antics and just play.

Officials were terrible. The worst I've seen in almost 50 years of NFL fandom. Usually bad calls balance out, but hard to make up for the Fumble recovery and the PI on Carter. Did it cost us the game? maybe, maybe not. You never know how things may turn out, but if those calls are reversed we may see a different game.

All in all, we should be pleased by this performance. even though we lost.
Being a -4 in turnovers to the Falcons in their stadium and being in the game until the end. Pretty impressive.

Our D is so much improved over last year it's hard to imagine it's the same group. Doom will step up (hopefully this week) and the rest of the kids continue to improve.
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AKRNA wrote:
Just a few observations.

Carter looked pretty good. We've got the best group of CB's I can ever remember this franchise having. Moore is developing rapidly. I just wish QC could step it up and take over for Adams.

DL looked very good again. Seems we're running more slants and stunts but sometimes hard to tell from the sideline cam. Hey lomax, can you check out our DL on the "22" this week and see why we look so active?

OL played pretty well, especially considering all the looks and motion they had to contend with. LG and C have improved over last year but we really miss Kuper. Ramirez is outmatched.

Nolan provided a great blueprint for how to defend against PM. Wish it would have happened later in the year.

Maybe PM's got most of his strength back, but I've never seen him throw up 3 wounded ducks in a row for picks. Seems he's got happier feet than usual also.

Officials were terrible. The worst I've seen in almost 50 years of NFL fandom. Usually bad calls balance out, but hard to make up for the Fumble recovery and the PI on Carter. Did it cost us the game? maybe, maybe not. You never know how things may turn out, but if those calls are reversed we may see a different game.

Being a -4 in turnovers to the Falcons in their stadium and being in the game until the end. Pretty impressive.

Our D is so much improved over last year it's hard to imagine it's the same group. Doom will step up (hopefully this week) and the rest of the kids continue to improve.

Do I sense some old school sentiment? Wink He does play, and plays hard, so why not have fun with it.

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
AKRNA

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BroncoinGermany wrote:
AKRNA wrote:
Just a few observations.

Do I sense some old school sentiment? Wink He does play, and plays hard, so why not have fun with it.

Probably a little. Don't get me wrong, I love his play. With continuing improvement he may rnd up being the best "D" player Denvers ever had and we've had some great ones.

Tackling people is his job however so why start dancing every time you do your job? Act like you've done it before,
PGeorge2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AntiSuperstar wrote:
What it clear from this game is that the praise for McCoy was premature. His gameplan was an utter failure.

No, the praise for McCoy was not premature. He had a bad game, just like Manning did. Is the praise for Manning premature?

Say what you want about the play call, but where the ball goes is all on Peyton. He's got 4 different reads on those interception plays, no one made him throw that pick besides him.

Guys are going to have a bad game every once in a while. It happens. And the coordinators are no different.

Joe_is_the_best on the sig!
Joe_is_the_best

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't able to catch the beginning of the game, so I was pretty surprised seeing 3 picks on the box score. I started watching in the second half, and for the game I get the impression that Matt Ryan had a pedestrian game and dinked and dunked the whole time.

My take on the Manning picks is that we all knew (hopefully) that we weren't getting vintage Manning. There were to be kinks and issues to be resolved, and this game is no different. I hope we don't overreact like I see some media members doing. The guy hasn't played in so long, the picks were bound to come eventually.

I am a little worried though, that all 3 picks were floating ducks...

Now for the obligatory ref bashing. They were so bad it wasn't even funny. I hope this (and other issues this week) will force the owners to suck up their pride and pay the guys.

The defense showed their mettle at the end of the last game. I was kind of bummed that they left Jones open on 3rd down, but at the same time they had already made 2 stops in a row.

I like the way our team handled the big deficit. There were lots of negatives in this game, but we only lost by 6 points.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. Getting beat always sucks, but I wasn't overly discouraged by this loss. We turned the ball over 4 times in the first quarter, and still only lost by 6 points. Gotta give some credit to the Falcons defense. They disguised their defensive formations very well, and it took nearly 3 quarters for Manning to finally figure them out. A dollar says Houston tries to copy what Atlanta did next week. $5 says PM scorches them for it. He's a quick learner, that one.

Negatives:

* obviously the turnovers
* replacement refs had a bit of a rough night, although I don't think it necessarily affected the outcome of the game. They blew a lot of calls for both teams, and the refs didn't force those turnovers. But it's still worth noting that they did a terrible job all night long.
* I might be wrong, since I haven't had a chance to watch it again, but it seemed like our defensive play calling was a bit vanilla on the pass rush. Especially on that crucial third and five in the fourth quarter. You KNOW they're going to double team Von. I feel like you have to send extra pressure in that kind of situation. Stunt a LB over to Miller's side if you have to. But you can't just let Ryan stand in the pocket like that.
* Missing Chris Harris had a noticeable effect on the D. As good as Porter is, he definitely didn't look comfortable on plays that he was forced into a nickel type role. Neither did anyone else. I'll be glad to have him back.

Positives:

* Peyton Manning gets more and more zip on his fastball every week.
* Mcgahee. Beast. Nuff said.
* Surprised to be saying this at his age, but I'm really glad Brandon Stokely is on this football team.
* It's only the second week of the season. Deep breaths.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 28 of 30

Jump to: