Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Should the Packers consider dealing Greg Jennings?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EB29

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont see how picks are more valuable to this team the GJ playing for a full season and trying to get another SB.

I give this a 0.1% chance of happening.

JTagg7754 with the Dope Sig ^^

Jon Gruden wrote:
Great Snatch catch ability there by Nicks
Defense Rules

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tttmikeb wrote:
No reason to trade him in-season, not when we've got Super Bowl aspirations. Wait until the offseason and see what happens. A lot can change before then. Maybe his demands are reasonable and we can get a deal done. Maybe we can work out a tag-and-trade deal if his demands are too high. Worst case scenario is taking the comp. pick. I'd like more compensation than that for sure, but putting the best product on the field and taking our shot at a championship is the most important thing. Play this season out, then see what happens.

Agree with every aspect of this approach. The issue is all about managing value, and logic suggests you'll get the most out of a player on the field during a contract year, which should enhance this years SB contention and lead to the most value in a tag-n-trade next off-season. It would take a premium offer to get TT's attention in midstream, and simply does not fit his approach to managing this team.

Jones on the other hand..I'm sure he'd be happy to talk turkey on.
ugLymayNe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EB29 wrote:
I dont see how picks are more valuable to this team the GJ playing for a full season and trying to get another SB.

I give this a 0.1% chance of happening.

This - but I wouldn't mind the possibility of dumping Finley's contract and giving Greg some more $$$$$. I think we made a mistake with signing Finley to that two year deal - would've rather franchised him.

Sig brought to you by Justo
SnakePlissken

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather trade Finley but I doubt we can get much for him at this point.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely not. The whole idea of this is ludicrous to me. You don't trade your #1 WR when you're trying to win the Superb Owl.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nfldraftguru1 wrote:
Absolutely not. The whole idea of this is ludicrous to me. You don't trade your #1 WR when you're trying to win the Superb Owl.

The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
.flash

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. We're Super Bowl contenders and you don't just go trade great pieces like Greg Jennings. Greg Jennings is a great WR, especially in our system. I'm not willing to part with that just yet.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar situation to where we were with Matt Flynn going into the 2011 season IMO.

We could have traded him then for sure and most likely gotten something but Thompson decided that his value as a insurance policy if Aaron was to go down for a game or two was higher than the 4th or 5th round pick he could have netted to this franchise.

I believe Greg is the same. If we were to try and deal him now there's little doubt in my mind that we could get a 2nd no problem even with only 1 year left on his deal. But we are a Super Bowl team and Championship teams don't trade important pieces mid season.

We are the Yankees in this case, not the Marlins.

Waldo wrote:

Enter Waldo

Same Old Jay
mightybk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very curious as to what Jennings would command on the open market. Being an under 6' receiver with not the greatest speed, I don't think he can get VJackson money. If the best he can get is 6mil/year, maybe he comes back anyway?
ajdodge09

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mightybk wrote:
I'm very curious as to what Jennings would command on the open market. Being an under 6' receiver with not the greatest speed, I don't think he can get VJackson money. If the best he can get is 6mil/year, maybe he comes back anyway?

I don't see him getting less than Vincent Jackson, unless he signs with us because TT is a god.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pack4life7 wrote:
Similar situation to where we were with Matt Flynn going into the 2011 season IMO.

We could have traded him then for sure and most likely gotten something but Thompson decided that his value as a insurance policy if Aaron was to go down for a game or two was higher than the 4th or 5th round pick he could have netted to this franchise.

I believe Greg is the same. If we were to try and deal him now there's little doubt in my mind that we could get a 2nd no problem even with only 1 year left on his deal. But we are a Super Bowl team and Championship teams don't trade important pieces mid season.

We are the Yankees in this case, not the Marlins.

But Matt wasn't going to start for us unless something happened to Aaron so I don't think these situations are similar at all. Jennings is our #1 WR, not a backup that doesn't see the field. I'll be very surprised if Jennings isn't resigned to an extension and is starting for us again in 2013.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As completely unrealistic as it is I'd trade him for Earl Thomas easy, or a good young D-Lineman. Being realistic I'd only trade him if you're going to get good value.
HyponGrey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the kind of market value GJ would command we might even get a compensatory 3 for him. The only team I'd even consider dealing GJ to right now is Miami, and I'd want a 1+. I know they can afford it.
I Am Rodgers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd look to move Finley before Jennings. Finley's agent is the one who called our ARod's leadership. We didn't need him to win the Superbowl. If we could flip Finley for a ILB + a low end pick, I'd look into it.

stallyns wrote:
Good thing for talky-talk Harbaugh he has an outstanding citizen/player like Aldon Smith on his team and not a classless hooligan like Clay Matthews.
ccecilnosebleed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Am Rodgers wrote:
I'd look to move Finley before Jennings. Finley's agent is the one who called our ARod's leadership. We didn't need him to win the Superbowl. If we could flip Finley for a ILB + a low end pick, I'd look into it.

this^^^v - Totally agree. Others here can argue its Rodgers problem all day if they want to, but the cloud of bad attitude continues to hover around Finley. I don't see any other players on this team with the "mememe" kind of showboating and whining that Finley hasn't been shy about displaying with prowess on the field.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: