Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

CMIII vs. Aldon for the next 10 years
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who you got?
Aldon Smith
44%
 44%  [ 46 ]
Clay Matthews
55%
 55%  [ 57 ]
Total Votes : 103

Author Message
o_0


Joined: 23 Apr 2008
Posts: 4953
Location: UCSB
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: CMIII vs. Aldon for the next 10 years Reply with quote

Who would you take as your team's 3-4 OLB of the future?

Clay Matthews

2011- 55 tackles, 6.0 sacks, 3 FF
2012- 13 tackles, 7.0 sacks, 0 FF



Aldon Smith

2011- 37 tackles, 14.0 sacks, 2 FF
2012- 12 tackles, 4.5 sacks, 1 FF


_________________

✰★✰ In Harbaugh We Trust ✰★✰
BP wrote:
One late season surge and postseason run doesn't make Kaep a better QB than Carson Palmer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
DreDay80


Joined: 09 Jan 2012
Posts: 2305
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clay Matthews III. Better pass rusher, run defender, and better in pass coverage.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
o_0


Joined: 23 Apr 2008
Posts: 4953
Location: UCSB
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DreDay80 wrote:
Better pass rusher

Disagree. Based on what?

Quote:
run defender

Based on what? They're both excellent at playing the run. I'd say they are about even.

Quote:
pass coverage

Aldon's pass coverage has been coming along nicely, but I'd probably agree that CM is better in coverage right now.
_________________

✰★✰ In Harbaugh We Trust ✰★✰
BP wrote:
One late season surge and postseason run doesn't make Kaep a better QB than Carson Palmer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
G3RMANATOR


Joined: 07 Oct 2010
Posts: 2215
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matthews is a more balanced player and their pass rusheing skills are very similiar
_________________



Thanks to Walter on the sig!^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
neezy007


Joined: 21 May 2008
Posts: 9203
Location: El Paso
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aldon Smith makes me happy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dbronx42


Joined: 19 Apr 2010
Posts: 3959
Location: Mile High 303
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o_0 wrote:
DreDay80 wrote:
Better pass rusher

Disagree. Based on what?

Quote:
run defender

Based on what? They're both excellent at playing the run. I'd say they are about even.

Quote:
pass coverage

Aldon's pass coverage has been coming along nicely, but I'd probably agree that CM is better in coverage right now.


I can already tell you started this thread to brag about your own player... But you failed. Not only did you not even mention the 2 seasons prior to last year where Matthews was playing his natural position. He had 23.5 sacks in his first 2 seasons.

Second, you say Aldon Smith and Clay both excellent at defending the run. Aldon sucked last year in that department. That's why he was off the field for so many snaps. He is a pass rush specialist that benefits from playing on the best defense in the league. I've seen 3 49'ers games this year and he hasn't stood out at all when defending the run. Now he is a MONSTER pass rusher, but it's laughable you think he is on the same level as Matthews.

Since you only wanted to post the stats that made your guy look like a better player, here are some other numbers -

Aldon Smith - 1 stuff in his CAREER, 4 PD's, 0 INT's

Clay Matthews - 6 stuffs since 2011, 10 PD's, 3 INT's (1 touchdown)

I'll take Clay all day.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
o_0


Joined: 23 Apr 2008
Posts: 4953
Location: UCSB
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbronx42 wrote:
o_0 wrote:
DreDay80 wrote:
Better pass rusher

Disagree. Based on what?

Quote:
run defender

Based on what? They're both excellent at playing the run. I'd say they are about even.

Quote:
pass coverage

Aldon's pass coverage has been coming along nicely, but I'd probably agree that CM is better in coverage right now.


I can already tell you started this thread to brag about your own player... But you failed. Not only did you not even mention the 2 seasons prior to last year where Matthews was playing his natural position. He had 23.5 sacks in his first 2 seasons.

Second, you say Aldon Smith and Clay both excellent at defending the run. Aldon sucked last year in that department. That's why he was off the field for so many snaps. He is a pass rush specialist that benefits from playing on the best defense in the league. I've seen 3 49'ers games this year and he hasn't stood out at all when defending the run. Now he is a MONSTER pass rusher, but it's laughable you think he is on the same level as Matthews.

Since you only wanted to post the stats that made your guy look like a better player, here are some other numbers -

Aldon Smith - 1 stuff in his CAREER, 4 PD's, 0 INT's

Clay Matthews - 6 stuffs since 2011, 10 PD's, 3 INT's (1 touchdown)

I'll take Clay all day.

Why would I mention stats from 2011 when Aldon wasn't even in the league. And CM3 had 23 sacks his first two years? Thats cool, Aldon Smith already has over 17 with 12 games left in his 2nd year...

And Aldon was off the field last year because he sucks at defending the run? Laughing You claim you "watch" the 49ers, but you clearly have no idea what your talking about. Aldon was just fine against the run, the big thing he struggled with last year was dropping into coverage. He didn't start all the games for that reason, and because the coaching staff likes to bring the rookies slow (our top two picks Jenkins and James have yet to see a snap this year).

And as for playing for the best D in the league, we are the best D BECAUSE of Aldon Smith. Our pass rush is absolutely terrible when we don't have him out there. Aside from Justin Smith, he's the only guy on our D capable of getting consistent pressure.
_________________

✰★✰ In Harbaugh We Trust ✰★✰
BP wrote:
One late season surge and postseason run doesn't make Kaep a better QB than Carson Palmer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
JaguarCrazy2832


Joined: 28 Jun 2008
Posts: 84428
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neezy007 wrote:
Aldon Smith makes me happy.


Okay... not sure what that has to do with the topic at hand Confused


Clay Matthews III makes me very happy too
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Frank-O


Joined: 20 Jun 2012
Posts: 1256
Location: Wisconsin - Cheeseland
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CMIII. I get the honor to watch him play for my team every week and there isn't a handful of other players I would pick over him. He has the fastest first step I've EVER seen and by far the best motor in the league.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
reckless123


Joined: 02 Jun 2011
Posts: 13494
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank-O wrote:
CMIII. I get the honor to watch him play for my team every week and there isn't a handful of other players I would pick over him. He has the fastest first step I've EVER seen and by far the best motor in the league.


LOL OK.
_________________


"I'm not in danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brettizzle


Joined: 11 Mar 2007
Posts: 4152
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP clearly made the thread to pimp his player a little bit but I think its a coin toss. Being a Packers fan I love what CMIII brings to the table and would take him but I understand why someone else would want Smith. My vote doesn't really count though because I have seen every game CMIII has been in and can't say the same about Smith.
_________________
El ramster wrote:

Lmao I know PAckers fans ain't talking.
Back to your dungeon.


^^^Footballs Future: Where trolling of Packers fans is encouraged
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
o_0


Joined: 23 Apr 2008
Posts: 4953
Location: UCSB
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brettizzle wrote:
OP clearly made the thread to pimp his player a little bit but I think its a coin toss. Being a Packers fan I love what CMIII brings to the table and would take him but I understand why someone else would want Smith. My vote doesn't really count though because I have seen every game CMIII has been in and can't say the same about Smith.

Not really Confused I was just watching the Pack game and started thinking about how sick it would be if we had CM3 on our team. I feel like Aldon and Clay are super close right now so I wanted to see what others thought.
_________________

✰★✰ In Harbaugh We Trust ✰★✰
BP wrote:
One late season surge and postseason run doesn't make Kaep a better QB than Carson Palmer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dbronx42


Joined: 19 Apr 2010
Posts: 3959
Location: Mile High 303
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o_0 wrote:
dbronx42 wrote:
o_0 wrote:
DreDay80 wrote:
Better pass rusher

Disagree. Based on what?

Quote:
run defender

Based on what? They're both excellent at playing the run. I'd say they are about even.

Quote:
pass coverage

Aldon's pass coverage has been coming along nicely, but I'd probably agree that CM is better in coverage right now.


I can already tell you started this thread to brag about your own player... But you failed. Not only did you not even mention the 2 seasons prior to last year where Matthews was playing his natural position. He had 23.5 sacks in his first 2 seasons.

Second, you say Aldon Smith and Clay both excellent at defending the run. Aldon sucked last year in that department. That's why he was off the field for so many snaps. He is a pass rush specialist that benefits from playing on the best defense in the league. I've seen 3 49'ers games this year and he hasn't stood out at all when defending the run. Now he is a MONSTER pass rusher, but it's laughable you think he is on the same level as Matthews.

Since you only wanted to post the stats that made your guy look like a better player, here are some other numbers -

Aldon Smith - 1 stuff in his CAREER, 4 PD's, 0 INT's

Clay Matthews - 6 stuffs since 2011, 10 PD's, 3 INT's (1 touchdown)

I'll take Clay all day.

Why would I mention stats from 2011 when Aldon wasn't even in the league. And CM3 had 23 sacks his first two years? Thats cool, Aldon Smith already has over 17 with 12 games left in his 2nd year...

And Aldon was off the field last year because he sucks at defending the run? Laughing You claim you "watch" the 49ers, but you clearly have no idea what your talking about. Aldon was just fine against the run, the big thing he struggled with last year was dropping into coverage. He didn't start all the games for that reason, and because the coaching staff likes to bring the rookies slow (our top two picks Jenkins and James have yet to see a snap this year).

And as for playing for the best D in the league, we are the best D BECAUSE of Aldon Smith. Our pass rush is absolutely terrible when we don't have him out there. Aside from Justin Smith, he's the only guy on our D capable of getting consistent pressure.


Well that was a homer rant I I've ever seen one. Nice job dancing around the facts and stats I posted though. I guess it still hasn't registered that there is more to playing defense than sacks. Lets see him stop some runs in the backfield. Because as of now he has 1 stuff in his ENTIRE CAREER. That is pretty terrible for the defensive superstar you 49'ers fans claim him to be on a constant basis.

On the same level as Clay as a COMPLETE player? Nope. But like i said earlier you obviously started this thread to pimp your own player and hope that other people would choose Aldon Smith. But we don't have 49'er sunglasses on.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
49ers4life52


Joined: 18 Mar 2010
Posts: 3216
Location: Fresno, CA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbronx42 wrote:
o_0 wrote:
dbronx42 wrote:
o_0 wrote:
DreDay80 wrote:
Better pass rusher

Disagree. Based on what?

Quote:
run defender

Based on what? They're both excellent at playing the run. I'd say they are about even.

Quote:
pass coverage

Aldon's pass coverage has been coming along nicely, but I'd probably agree that CM is better in coverage right now.


I can already tell you started this thread to brag about your own player... But you failed. Not only did you not even mention the 2 seasons prior to last year where Matthews was playing his natural position. He had 23.5 sacks in his first 2 seasons.

Second, you say Aldon Smith and Clay both excellent at defending the run. Aldon sucked last year in that department. That's why he was off the field for so many snaps. He is a pass rush specialist that benefits from playing on the best defense in the league. I've seen 3 49'ers games this year and he hasn't stood out at all when defending the run. Now he is a MONSTER pass rusher, but it's laughable you think he is on the same level as Matthews.

Since you only wanted to post the stats that made your guy look like a better player, here are some other numbers -

Aldon Smith - 1 stuff in his CAREER, 4 PD's, 0 INT's

Clay Matthews - 6 stuffs since 2011, 10 PD's, 3 INT's (1 touchdown)

I'll take Clay all day.

Why would I mention stats from 2011 when Aldon wasn't even in the league. And CM3 had 23 sacks his first two years? Thats cool, Aldon Smith already has over 17 with 12 games left in his 2nd year...

And Aldon was off the field last year because he sucks at defending the run? Laughing You claim you "watch" the 49ers, but you clearly have no idea what your talking about. Aldon was just fine against the run, the big thing he struggled with last year was dropping into coverage. He didn't start all the games for that reason, and because the coaching staff likes to bring the rookies slow (our top two picks Jenkins and James have yet to see a snap this year).

And as for playing for the best D in the league, we are the best D BECAUSE of Aldon Smith. Our pass rush is absolutely terrible when we don't have him out there. Aside from Justin Smith, he's the only guy on our D capable of getting consistent pressure.


Well that was a homer rant I I've ever seen one. Nice job dancing around the facts and stats I posted though. I guess it still hasn't registered that there is more to playing defense than sacks. Lets see him stop some runs in the backfield. Because as of now he has 1 stuff in his ENTIRE CAREER. That is pretty terrible for the defensive superstar you 49'ers fans claim him to be on a constant basis.

On the same level as Clay as a COMPLETE player? Nope. But like i said earlier you obviously started this thread to pimp your own player and hope that other people would choose Aldon Smith. But we don't have 49'er sunglasses on.

You again? Laughing
I don't know why you hate Aldon so much and act like he is one dimensional. Your clearly operating blind and relying on one stat which doesn't even prove his run defense skills. Aldon is great against the run, ask any 49er fan this and its not because they're homers. It's because we actually watch him play. So please spare us this non-sense of Aldon being one dimensional.
_________________

^Kempes^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vang_evo9


Joined: 13 Aug 2011
Posts: 1107
Location: Fresno, CA
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ClayMaker and it's not even close!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL Comparisons All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group